Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's World Cup 2019

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Sir - This photo is from 2016 or 2017. Rapinoe has not kneeled during the 2019 World Cup.
    Enjoy the World Cup Sir.....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Enjoy the World Cup Sir.....
    Will do. Please know how much I enjoy your aeronautics posts. Learning has occurred. Thanks!

I have been watching the last few round of 16 matches.

Thoroughly enjoying the games. Today’s match between Japan and Netherlands; you’d think the Dutch height would be an advantage but they are tied 1:1 going late into the second half.

These ladies can play.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have been watching the last few round of 16 matches.

Thoroughly enjoying the games. Today’s match between Japan and Netherlands; you’d think the Dutch height would be an advantage but they are tied 1:1 going late into the second half.

These ladies can play.
    The Japanese played better than the Dutch overall, IMO, and if they'd had a finisher in their team, the final score would have been different.

Predictions, loose ones that is :-)

Norway vs England: I haven't seen England play this tournament but I have seen the Norwegians and they are a compact, solid team that will frustrate England. I give Norway a slight edge.

France vs USA: No matter how much I want the USA to win this one, I give the edge to France. Their attack and defense down the wings is better than the American one and their midfield double pivot with Henry and Bussaglia can really stretch out the US team and break US possession. France's weakness is at the center of defense and starting the attack wide and at pace and tucking in can breakdown the French; this is where players with pace (replace Rapineau with Press as a starter) and technical ability (Mewis, Horan and Lavelle in midfield, Heath on the right wing)) can win this one. But I feel the French are slightly better at this in this tournament. I hope I'm wrong.

Italy vs Netherlands: slight edge to Italy. Their defense is really solid and their counterattack fast (classic Italian football) while the Dutch attack is powerful but their defense weak if not uncoordinated.

Germany vs Sweden: while the Germans (as always) are good everywhere and are quite capable of breaking down this Swedish team, Sweden's midfield and defense has shown they can undo any attack. If the Germans can't breakthrough, they'll have to commit numbers and be very vulnerable to the Swede's creative and fast counter (as happened to Canada). Still Germany has the edge.

Right now, I'm seeing a France vs Germany final. If the US wins, the final will likely still be against Germany but Italy has shown itself to be more capable than anyone expected, I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up in the final.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    ...Mewis, Horan and Lavelle in midfield ...
    This tournament is my first time seeing these three ladies play. They are good.

This may not be the USA's best team, but they sure seem deep off the bench. It seems as if no matter who has to come out of the game (I don't know who the back up keeper is, so no comment there), there is no drop off with the replacement.

Women's World Cup 2019

I tell ya. These US gurlz came to play. 2-0 over France at 67”.

Too much dicking* around with the ball in mid field. That last sub to bring in Horan was way over due.

* That may or may not apply in this particular tournament, but forgive me, I’m still new to supporting Women’s football.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-28-2019 at 03:28 PM.

I tell ya. These US gurlz came to play. 2-0 over France at 67”.

Too much dicking* around with the ball in mid field. That last sub to bring in Horan was way over due.

* That may or may not apply in this particular tournament, but forgive me, I’m still new to supporting Women’s football.
    I disagree, midfield is where tempo is created or destroyed (both on purpose). The US broke up French play well and even while giving away the ball too many times (something way too many teams are doing in this tournament), the US' defense (including midfield -pulling Hertz back to serve as essentially a libero was quite smart) gave very few options for the French to get creative (Bussiglia sort of disappeared in the game).

I had thought that Dunn would get run over by Diani and Torrent but she not only battled them efficiently but relaunched midfield possession quite well. Dunn is not a natural left back, never mind a wing back, she's actually a midfielder but she truly impressed me. O'hara, with Heath, shut down the other wing and Majri slowly disappeared.

I think Horan came on at the right time as Lavelle was getting exhausted but I wish Press had come on earlier -nothing against Rapinoe who was great, but stretching the French on the left should have happened before Renard got her a goal and young fresh legs will do that.

The US defense, so long proclaimed their weakness, did great. Jill Ellis got old style Dutch with that high defensive line that caught the French time and again in offside blunting their creative attacks; when we played deeper in our own half is when things got really dangerous, and conceded a goal.

I am so very glad I was wrong.

Next is England, a team I severely underestimated. The US has the toughest trip to the final.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Predictions, loose ones that is :-) [...]
    Well, I'm 0-4 on that front, so I won't make anymore.

Still, the matches were exciting, even if the level of soccer isn't that great.

Zounds!

Congrats to the USA team, 2-1 over England. Just caught the last ten minutes and missed the action as I was at work.

I hope it's on repeat sometime so I can watch it later.

Zounds!

Congrats to the USA team, 2-1 over England. Just caught the last ten minutes and missed the action as I was at work.

I hope it's on repeat sometime so I can watch it later.
    Fox Sports 1 at 8 eastern.

I missed it too and will be watching.

User Tag List