Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's World Cup 2019

Site Supporter

Red face Women's World Cup 2019

As this is posted, the USWNT is whooping Thailand 11 - 0. Alex Morgan has a hat trick + 1. As a lowly high school soccer referee, I LOVE IT! The US women look extremely sharp. The rest of the world should be afraid, very afraid.

Site Supporter

Final US 13 - Thailand 0

For you who watch more football than soccer, a 13 - 0 soccer score roughly equates to 91 - 0 in American football. Tune in. You'll smile if you do.

I don't watch a lot of soccer, but I do enjoy watching the U.S. women's team occassionally.

I caught the end of this game. I'm not sure which goalie felt more useless at the end of the game. I saw some of the analysts were trashing the U.S. for running up the score which I think is crazy. It is professional sports, if you don't want the other team to run up the score, figure out a way to stop them. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't goal differential a potential factor in the FIFA World Cup anyways?

I've been on both ends of getting the score run up on. When you're losing that bad it doesn't feel any better when you know the other team is treating you like a fragile bitch that can't take a beating.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I watched the game. The US has a good squad, though Thailand is one of the weaker teams in the tournament.

In years past, I coached a lot of youth soccer, and likewise have been on both ends of a blowout.

I never liked the team on the winning end of a blowout playing "keep away" with the ball while theoretically trying to keep the score down. Just play the game, and take shots so I can get the ball back and try to score.

Of course in "Rec Leagues", I was never a fan of losing 13 - 0 and having all the goals scored by one kid. It was usually pretty easy to spread the goals around without telling the kids that's what you were trying to do, and you could usually keep the score from getting out of hand with substitutions.

That's one of the hard things with World Cup type competitions, as I think they only allow three substitutions, and when you come out of the game, you can't go back in.

For us foreigners women's soccer is not very popular... to say the least.

I understand some countries (and not only the USA) are very proud of their teams, and rightly so, but it is somewhat like being the tallest midget.

Same with women's rugby.

Just saw another comment about running up the score and the commenter said that they didn't have an issue with the U.S. team continuing to play hard, but that it was in poor taste to celebrate every single goal like it was a gold medal winning goal.

I think this is a valid point. If it is the player's first international/world cup goal then go ahead and celebrate, but otherwise once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Just saw another comment about running up the score and the commenter said that they didn't have an issue with the U.S. team continuing to play hard, but that it was in poor taste to celebrate every single goal like it was a gold medal winning goal.

I think this is a valid point. If it is the player's first international/world cup goal then go ahead and celebrate, but otherwise once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.

As they say, "act like you've been there before".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    ... once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.
    I agree.

However, if you watched the game you can't blame Samantha Mewis for her goal celebration over-exuberance. Her teammates did more jumping around after her two goals than she did. She almost looks like she needs to hire a choreographer for her goal scoring celebrations.

User Tag List