Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Women's World Cup 2019

Site Supporter
    I've reffed gobs of high school games and seen only a tiny bit of poor sportsmanship. I don't consider celebrating a goal, especially a World Cup goal, to be unsporting in the least. There was no taunting of the Thais. In fact, after the game the US players literally embraced the Thais and exchanged kind words. The post game was classy, as is our team generally. Onward!

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Name:  _107342226_daniel_tweets.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  33.0 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Just saw another comment about running up the score and the commenter said that they didn't have an issue with the U.S. team continuing to play hard, but that it was in poor taste to celebrate every single goal like it was a gold medal winning goal.

I think this is a valid point. If it is the player's first international/world cup goal then go ahead and celebrate, but otherwise once you are up that much I think a subtle high five or two would have been a bit more classy.
    Until some reporter or commentator whose never played the game beyond HS if at all accuses you of being an arrogant snob. This kind of drumming always brings out the commentary, generally it’s a lose lose situation for the team banging the drum. You’re an asshole for running up the score. You’re an asshole for celebrating. You’re an asshole for not celebrating. You’re an asshole for obviously toying with the opponent.... Ad nauseum.

I’ve not even come close to that level of play or coaching, but if I was at a meaningful tournament I wouldn’t have stopped or told my players to do so. You have a developmental plan for building team momentum, honing execution by the players, unscrewing lineups and identifying players who are struggling and shining. You are given 270 minutes to get that sorted. Minute 271 is go home and brood for 4 years time. Wasting 90 minutes of that time cause feelings is a good way to go home and lose your job.

I didn’t really think the USA played all that well. Slow pace, lots of technical slop, bad tactical decisions... Lots better that the Thai team, but had that game been against Germany we would have gone to the lockers down a goal or two.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I don't know much about the game, but at this point, I'm pretty sure the main difference between men's soccer and women's soccer is that the men are better at faking injuries.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Brasil dropped to third in group C today with the three way tie between Italy, Australia, Brazil being broken by 1)Italy with the most net goals, and 2) Australia and 3) Brazil with same net goals but Australia having the more goals fielded.

With that being the system, there's a good reason to score any goals that you can, no matter how unsporting it might seem.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter

USA v Spain Tied 1 - 1 at Half

The USWNT is now 3 - 0 in the 2019 World Cup. As this is written, they are tied with Spain 1 - 1 at half. This feels like the first true test for the USWNT. They need to come out strong in the 2nd half and put some early goals on the Spaniards. ELN

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I stopped watching NFL because of the kneeling BS. I sure as heck ain't going to start watching women's soccer when they are doing it on foreign soil.....

Site Supporter

What kneeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I stopped watching NFL because of the kneeling BS. I sure as heck ain't going to start watching women's soccer when they are doing it on foreign soil.....
    I haven't seen any USWNT players kneel during the 2019 World Cup. ONE player, Megan Rapinoe, is not singing the anthem. This does not dissuade me from watching and celebrating the performances of the USWNT.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I haven't seen any USWNT players kneel during the 2019 World Cup. ONE player, Megan Rapinoe, is not singing the anthem. This does not dissuade me from watching and celebrating the performances of the USWNT.

Site Supporter

Not the 2019 World Cup

Sir - This photo is from 2016 or 2017. Rapinoe has not kneeled during the 2019 World Cup.

User Tag List