Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 LTT spare parts?

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Link just posted on the Beretta forum in the last couple days:
    http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/a...ail/a_id/1067/
    Some of those replacement intervals strike me a being excessively aggressive (not that that's a bad thing per se, but I feel is just a bit early and/or unnecessary);

Replacing the hammer and firing pin springs at 5K rounds I think is way early in their viable lifespan; when I spoke with a BUSA tech rep he literally couldn't recall hearing of or seeing a failed firing pin spring; while I did replace mine at the approxinately 12K round interval level, it was more because I had a Wilson chrome silicon replacement one on hand that I wanted to try, as opposed to any perceived actual need.

I have no idea what the viable lifespan of the hammer/main spring is, but I strongly suspect that it's WAY longer than 5K rounds; I used my OEM 16 lb one (I have a 92D, the 16 lb/D spring is the OEM one for that model) for at least a decade and approximately 6K-8K rounds with absolutely zero issues, replaced it initially with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 14 lb one in conjunction with installation of the Wilson Combat triggerbar, and after a year or so went to a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 13 lb one. Wilson Combat chrome silicon springs are advertised as "lifetime" springs, so we'll see.

Interestingly, the BUSA recommendation doesn't address the extractor spring replacement interval; while I never had any issues with my OEM one, I replaced it at about the 10K-11K round count, as I had a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one on hand that I wanted to try (I actually had both the standard-weight one and their increased weight one; I went with the standard weight and have been pleased with it). Since you're "already in there" if you're performing an annual extractor and extractor chamber cleaning protocol, it's again probably a best practice to simply concurrently replace the extractor spring as dirt-cheap preventive maintenance. I recommend the Wilson Combat chrome silicon ones, although the OEM Beretta ones are probably perfectly adequate.

I replaced my Gen 2 locking block with the current Beretta Gen 3 one at the 12K round count interval, as what I felt was prudent preventive maintenance.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Some of those replacement intervals strike me a being excessively aggressive (not that that's a bad thing per se, but I feel is just a bit early and/or unnecessary);

Replacing the hammer and firing pin springs at 5K rounds I think is way early in their viable lifespan; when I spoke with a BUSA tech rep he literally couldn't recall hearing of or seeing a failed firing pin spring; while I did replace mine at the approxinately 12K round interval level, it was more because I had a Wilson chrome silicon replacement one on hand that I wanted to try, as opposed to any perceived actual need.

I have no idea what the viable lifespan of the hammer/main spring is, but I strongly suspect that it's WAY longer than 5K rounds; I used my OEM 16 lb one (I have a 92D, the 16 lb/D spring is the OEM one for that model) for at least a decade and approximately 6K-8K rounds with absolutely zero issues, replaced it initially with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 14 lb one in conjunction with installation of the Wilson Combat triggerbar, and after a year or so went to a Wilson Combat chrome silicon 13 lb one. Wilson Combat chrome silicon springs are advertised as "lifetime" springs, so we'll see.

Interestingly, the BUSA recommendation doesn't address the extractor spring replacement interval; while I never had any issues with my OEM one, I replaced it at about the 10K-11K round count, as I had a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one on hand that I wanted to try (I actually had both the standard-weight one and their increased weight one; I went with the standard weight and have been pleased with it). Since you're "already in there" if you're performing an annual extractor and extractor chamber cleaning protocol, it's again probably a best practice to simply concurrently replace the extractor spring as dirt-cheap preventive maintenance. I recommend the Wilson Combat chrome silicon ones, although the OEM Beretta ones are probably perfectly adequate.

I replaced my Gen 2 locking block with the current Beretta Gen 3 one at the 12K round count interval, as what I felt was prudent preventive maintenance.

Best, Jon
    rI figure they put the worst case (best case for their parts sales), out there, in part due to lawyers. Probably know for many, those replace round counts are decades away (drawer gun), where time would be the bigger factor.

That said, springs are pretty cheap to have on hand for insurance, and a duplicate gun to use until time to fix your main one, in my view. (use their info as a base and adjust as needed)

Only seen one rusted and broken hammer spring, and that was on a recent post over at Beretta forum.

The last hammer spring I replaced (D type) lasted for 22k rounds before it started to exhibit light strikes. I used to replace the trigger return spring every 5k rounds as recommended. As an experiment, I decided to forego that on my training gun and just let it ride. The current TRS has over 17k rounds fired, with an unknown number of pulls during dry fire. I never replaced a firing pin spring. Honestly, a second gun in the range bag is a the most practical option. If anything goes wrong with a 92 on the range it will usually require a tool kit and bench to remedy. If a second gun isn't feasible I might just carry an extra locking block in my bag and call it good.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-13-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My recommendation for spare parts to have on hand:

1. Trigger return spring (Wilson chrome silicon or Wolff TCU at INS/Factory weight)

2. Triggerbar spring (NEVER had one break, but just have one because it can be so critical)

3. Extractor spring (Wilson chrome silicon-standard weight works just fine)

4. Recoil spring (Wilson, Beretta or Wolff)

5. A Gen 3 (current one from Beretta) locking block

6. A decent set of punches (both for solid and roll pins) and gunsmithing screwdrivers (Brownells)

7. Access to a computer and YouTube (to see decent videos from Beretta, childofjuly, langdon tactical and MoisinVirus for takedown and reassembly sequences)

8. Quality lubricants-my personal preferences are Weapon Shield, Dri-Slide, and Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2

Best, Jon

^^ Good info^^

I had about 250 of them in the Houston office back when we were INS.

Saw one broken trigger bar spring.
    A couple broken extractors (i suspect folks dropping a lose round in the chamber and dropping the slide, rather than racking the first round from the mag.)
    Saw one locking block break in the Sheriff's Academy.

Overall, the guns in my office ran well. I recall HCM saying his office had cracked frames (in .40).
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

The broken extractor part is interesting; part of the M9/M10 criteria was that the gun be designed to allow direct chamber drop-in loading; the M9/92 and Ruger P85/P89 are two pistols that specifically allow for that, ostensibly without incurring damage. The Ruger P85/P89 extractors are large and heavy enough to probably double as bridge girders if necessary...

(Personally, I only recommend magazine loading, though)

The 92's triggerbar spring is somewhat exposed internally on the receiver, so I can see how that could be subject to damage, especially with a careless and overly vigorous cleaning brush....

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-13-2019 at 01:13 PM.

The broken extractor part is interesting; part of the M9/M10 criteria was that the gun be designed to allow direct chamber drop-in loading; the M9/92 and Ruger P85/P89 are two pistols that specifically allow for that, ostensibly without incurring damage. The Ruger P85/P89 extractors are large and heavy enough to probably double as bridge girders if necessary...

(Personally, I only recommend magazine loading, though)

The 92's trigger bar spring is somewhat exposed internally on the receiver, so I can see how that could be subject to damage, especially with a careless and overly vigorous cleaning brush....

Best, Jon
    The trigger bar spring was on an Instructor's gun that was well used. During the course of fire, he turned the gun upside down and fired a few rounds just to show it could still be used in a pinch with gravity moving the trigger bar. The one broken extractor was also on an Instructor gun. The other broken extractor... I am having a hard time remembering who it was... but I recall the instructors talking about how we need to tell him to NOT drop rounds directly in the barrel.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Apparently Instructors share the same innate qualities as our Mods here, then??

(Just kidding, Tom and LL). So much for any expectations for preferential treatment for me in the foreseeable future.....

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-13-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Incorrect, sir. When the FP breaks, the forward section is no longer captured by the FP spring. With the slide locked, you can see the tip extend beyond the breech face.
    I was going off the posts I’ve seen of others who have found their firing pin broken while doing a deep cleaning of the slide. Most didn’t know because the gun just kept working. Unless one of my current firing pins are broken, I have yet to break one. I’ll be sure to check to see if any protrude out the hole soon.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Only seen one rusted and broken hammer spring, and that was on a recent post over at Beretta forum.
    That was mine. And to be fair, that was in a 90-two frame that isn’t sealed along the back of that channel. I’m also questioning if leaving it essentially in a state of half-cock while using the Type C hammer may have been a contributing factor? But other guns are left cocked & locked with the spring considerably more stressed, so I don’t know. It was probably just a poorly finished spring.

Just wanted to bump this thread and ask a question.

Has anyone broken a G model de cocking spring?
    My original broke, replaced it and probably less then 2k manipulations it has broken again. Not a big deal but mildly annoying.

Does anyone make a chrome silicone spring?

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Just wanted to bump this thread and ask a question.

Has anyone broken a G model de cocking spring?
    My original broke, replaced it and probably less then 2k manipulations it has broken again. Not a big deal but mildly annoying.

Does anyone make a chrome silicone spring?
    Hey,

Was this an original G type or one of the more recent G drop-in kits?

I have two 92Gs, one of each type. My older gun is a 92G-Sd and I have beat the shit out of it for years of crappy Russian ammo, poor cleaning, etc with nothing but a single recoil spring swap. It is north of 10k and I will check my log book. My second is a 92A3 with newer G kit but it has about 150 rounds so I have nothing to go on.

User Tag List