64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm LCR

27 42.19%
  • 327 Magnum LCR

37 57.81%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 327 Federal or 9mm LCR?

327 Federal or 9mm LCR?

I have a whole bucket of J-frames in my safe all of which are 38 Special or 357 Magnum. I want to play with an LCR, but I'm debating between 327 Magnum and 9mm. I reload so ammo availability isn't really a concern.
    Last edited by KevH; 06-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I want to play with an LCR, but I'm debating between 327 Magnum and 9mm. I reload so ammo availability isn't really a concern.
    Just for messing around and trying the platform? I'd probably go with the 9mm. It will likely be easier to sell if you don't like the Ruger.

I got the 9mm for my wife. I'm not a revolver guy. At all. But I found it very shootable, and surprisingly accurate even at distance. The trigger is very good for a revolver.

Here was my reasoning: Advantages of 9mm: 1) well-tested effective defense loads, 2) moon clips, and 3) 9mm is what I shoot and load almost exclusively. I loaded some very light puppy loads for her to practice with while she gets used to the gun. The main disadvantage seems to be that 9mm rounds are not crimped, and bullets can in theory jump out and lock up the gun. I have measured this, and posted in another thread. My conclusion is that this is not a concern during any 5-shot engagement. Just don't re-use ammo that matters if it has been chambered while shooting.

I did consider the 327. 6 shot capacity is nice, and there does seem to be loads with promising performance. It's just a relatively untested caliber, and 9mm seems like a safer choice for defense.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I reload so ammo availability isn't really a concern.
    If you didn't I'd say 9mm, but since you reload you should go with .327. Buy a bag each of .32 S&W long, .32 H&R, .327, an assortment of bullets, and have fun. I ended up with two sets of dies in my turret. I use the Lyman sizer for everything, and the Lee bell and seat dies for .32 S&W. The Lyman bell and seater are set for .32 H&R, and a spacer ring from .44 spl/mag makes it easy to switch to .327.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have a whole bucket of J-frames in my safe all of which are 38 Special or 357 Magnum.
    Wadda ya know, me too...

I want to play with an LCR
    Wadda ya know, me too...

I'm debating between 327 Magnum and 9mm. I reload so ammo availability isn't really a concern.
    Wadda ya know, me too, sorta. I was actually thinking about just getting an LCR in .38 because they are lighter and cheaper. Another scheme is an 3" LCRx, that would be sweet in either .327 or 9mm, but apparently Ruger doesn't agree. I also have a 3" SP-101 or I would think about a 3" LCRx .357. But if I get one I will probably get the cheapest .38 I can find, shoot it a bunch and decide I really like the thing before I invest in one of the more obscure (expensive) ones.

But if you are also curious about the .327 (I am...) there is a two birds deal there. 9mm might be a better gun, but you already have a lotta guns.

Site Supporter
    How fragile are moon clips? That would be my only concern for the 9mm LCR.

I believe @GJM played with one. If I remember right, 147 grain was good ammo option.

I have a pair of the 9mm LCRs, the moon clips are fine.I have factory and Speedbeez clips and both have held up well. When I carry the 9mm LCR I usually carry an extra loaded moon clip in my front pocket. I did this daily for a few months with no issues.
    Last edited by vaspence; 06-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I got the 9mm for my wife. I'm not a revolver guy. At all. But I found it very shootable, and surprisingly accurate even at distance. The trigger is very good for a revolver.

Here was my reasoning: Advantages of 9mm: 1) well-tested effective defense loads, 2) moon clips, and 3) 9mm is what I shoot and load almost exclusively. I loaded some very light puppy loads for her to practice with while she gets used to the gun. The main disadvantage seems to be that 9mm rounds are not crimped, and bullets can in theory jump out and lock up the gun. I have measured this, and posted in another thread. My conclusion is that this is not a concern during any 5-shot engagement. Just don't re-use ammo that matters if it has been chambered while shooting.

I did consider the 327. 6 shot capacity is nice, and there does seem to be loads with promising performance. It's just a relatively untested caliber, and 9mm seems like a safer choice for defense.
    I voted 9mm for the same reasons above.

(FWIW: I absolutely love my LCR in .357. I bought the .357 as my first revolver thinking it would be better for recoil. I needed have bothered. I've never shot so much as a round of .357, though. I have only shot wad cutters (either S&B or I got a couple boxes of Federal Match to try this weekend.) Had I it to do over, I would get the .38, it's lighter.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How fragile are moon clips? That would be my only concern for the 9mm LCR.

I believe @GJM played with one. If I remember right, 147 grain was good ammo option.
    The OEM clips are easy to load/unload but seem a little flimsy. I bought a 10 pack of Speed Bees moonclips, and they are solid.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have a whole bucket of J-frames in my safe all of which are 38 Special or 357 Magnum. I want to play with an LCR, but I'm debating between 327 Magnum and 9mm. I reload so ammo availability isn't really a concern.
    Neither, but 9mm if you must.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List