Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen5 Glock heat issues

Hate to bring this thread back, but I did a search and here I am.

My first session back with a G5 G34 (was trying to shoot only an LEM HK for a few years, didn't work out for me) and I noticed the slide lock was getting pretty hot around the 100 round mark. I don't ever recall that happening on Gen 3 guns. My support thumb rests on the slide lock and its a nice index for me. Its very possible I didn't to that in that past with a Gen 3 G26/G34 but not probable. It was noticeable during both my session with a Gen 5.

Today was another hot day at 91 and again the damn slide lock was getting pretty hot and at the 150 round mark getting toasty.

Were these parts plastic in the past and now metal?

Na always metal.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Excuse me if I missed this OP, but what ammo are you regularly using?

I think ammo could be a bigger factor than all this down in the weeds stuff about IR/surface finish/slide mass etc... Some powders make guns run hotter than others ( and burn out barrels faster). TiteGroup comes to mind as a "hot" powder that has been discussed on various pistol shooting boards. Also, lighter weight bullets generally are propelled with larger amounts of powder, and I would assume that means more heat in the gun, say 115gr vs 147gr 9mm. I have zero data to back this up, but if you look around, some powders being "hot" is a known thing to guys who put a ton of rounds through their guns.

Interesting discussion, in any case.

The Glock 19M is the only pistol I've ever gotten too hot to reholster. An average practice session for me is 200 rounds in an hour.

I don't have as significant time on the previous generations of Glock, so I can't comment as to the OPs premise. My P2000 or P229 have never been too hot to reholster, though.

With that said, it seems to simply be a benign observation. It has zero impact in the actual use of the gun, and across my agency, as well as all the agencies using the M-series and Gen 5s to include the high-round count shooters, I haven't heard about it causing any sort of tangible problem. It does not present itself as an issue in any sort of range training outside my time-compressed personal range visits where I'm limited to 1 hour of shooting.

In other words:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I think ammo could be a bigger factor than all this down in the weeds stuff about IR/surface finish/slide mass etc... Some powders make guns run hotter than others ( and burn out barrels faster). TiteGroup comes to mind as a "hot" powder that has been discussed on various pistol shooting boards. Also, lighter weight bullets generally are propelled with larger amounts of powder, and I would assume that means more heat in the gun, say 115gr vs 147gr 9mm. I have zero data to back this up, but if you look around, some powders being "hot" is a known thing to guys who put a ton of rounds through their guns.

Interesting discussion, in any case.
    The surface temperature of the slide on my Gen5 19 heats up significantly faster than my Gen2 17 when shot side by side with the exact same ammo.
    The surface coating of all the metal components is a huge factor in how quickly heat is transferred from the burning powder in the barrel to outer space (where basically all of the "heat" on planet Earth tries to go).
    Certain coatings are used in all kinds of applications to transfer heat at faster or slower rates.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The surface temperature of the slide on my Gen5 19 heats up significantly faster than my Gen2 17 when shot side by side with the exact same ammo.
    The surface coating of all the metal components is a huge factor in how quickly heat is transferred from the burning powder in the barrel to outer space (where basically all of the "heat" on planet Earth tries to go).
    Certain coatings are used in all kinds of applications to transfer heat at faster or slower rates.
    No argument from me there. It's obvious that more than one person is noticing this happening, and I doubt they are all using the same ammo. I just think different powder/ammo could have an impact on such things. I wonder if Glock considered the impact of their slide finish/coating on heat retention or dissipation? As I said... it is interesting discussion.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    A bit of good news on this front is that the heat cycling doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on the screws holding the optic, the optic mount, or the sights on the gun. All of them are as tight as when I performed the installation.
    3/15/2016

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    A bit of good news on this front is that the heat cycling doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on the screws holding the optic, the optic mount, or the sights on the gun. All of them are as tight as when I performed the installation.
    Was the torque wrench you used to verify this calibrated?
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

I haven't noticed such heat issues on my silver colored G48.
    #RESIST

FWIW, this past weekend I shot my 19X at the Topton GSSF match, it was hot and humid. I ran 3 divisions back-to-back. By the final stage for all 3 the 19X was hot enough that I had to modify my grip to not touch the slide with my firing thumb and the slide lock with my support thumb, my final run being more a test of "hot steel avoidance" rather than trying to win. My performance suffered due to this.

I was bagging the 19X for convenience so the gun was insulated between stages. I fired 280 rounds in approximately 2 hours.

For comparison I shot the Johnstown GSSF match using my 17.4 in four divisions back-to-back. While it got rather warm it did not reach the discomfort level of the 19X.

I will have to take heat into consideration for future planning.

User Tag List