Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen5 Glock heat issues

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The important thing to look at are the barrels. The thicker the barrel, the more heat it takes to reach the same temperature. If the Gen 4 Glock has a thinner barrel, gonna get hotter with the same rate of fire.

The heat will soak into the slide, but inside the barrel is where the heat is generated.
    Putting my cheap-o digital calipers to both barrels measuring thickness a little bit back from the muzzle by clamping it down around the wall of the barrel in a groove, the measurement I got on the Gen 4 G34 was 0.1105. On the Gen5 G17 it measures 0.1105.
    3/15/2016

Any data, recorded or anecdotal, on how the Glock temperatures compare to other 9mm service pistols?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As more/less previously stated, the only way to pin down whether Gen 5 Glocks experience greater/excessive heat buildup is to test only one variable at a time. G17.4 vs G17.5, both with stock sights. Same ambient temp, same number of rounds in same time, etc. Repeat with the same optic on both. Then same with G34 (or G19). For each test, measure temp changes. In guns, and in optics' batteries. Measure juice in batteries before and after.

Majored in fish biology, daydreamed through most of required physics classes, and those were about 50 years ago any way. Seems though I recall that the same heat applied to a smaller mass results in more and faster heat buildup than in a larger mass of same material, as well as quicker heat loss when the heat input stops. Well, there's also the surface area, isn't there? Whether/how the surface finish differences between G4 and G5 increase or decrease heat buildup and loss . . . no idea. But that could be measured too, at least roughly. Assuming the measuring equipment accurately captures the temps.

Or maybe Glock already knows; anybody asked them?

Very interested in results though. Assuming the cause of any differences can be determined. Just for general knowledge if nothing else. Thanks for digging in too.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    TC - thanks for the info, I haven't noticed a difference in my Gen5s, but, sadly, I've RARELY had the chance to get them really worked out on a range - a couple hundred rounds in a day is a "heavy" shooting day for me now, due to ammo and range constraints.
    Absolutely...and I suspect the vast majority of people who buy one or are issued one will not be shooting anything like the number of rounds I have through my specimen. The FBI did some significant testing with their new guns and I never heard a peep about heat...but I can't say for certain what the differences between the FBI spec and the Gen5 spec are, especially in regards to finish.

The people who visit PF are probably the people most likely to encounter this phenomenon...assuming it's universal to the line, which I certainly can't say is true...than most anywhere else I can think of. People here tend to shoot and train and are more likely to put the 250-300 rounds through a gun at once necessary for them to touch the thing and go "Geezus that's hot".
    3/15/2016

While I'm at it, anyone know what the temperature threshold for a cook-off of a 9mm round is?

I don't think the Gen5 heat is bad enough for that to be a real concern, but I'm also carrying this thing with the muzzle in perilous proximity to my genitals and femoral artery and the part of me that calculates where I am on the "weird shit that happens with guns" bell curve based on my exposure over a prolonged period of time wants something more concrete than "I'm sure it will be fine"
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    While I'm at it, anyone know what the temperature threshold for a cook-off of a 9mm round is?
    Googled and found the following on concealed nation as the first hit

There can be other ingredients depending on the specific make and model of a round of ammunition but those are the three primary components. For your reference,

Lead melts at 621 °F
    Nitrocellulose ignites at around 320-338 °F
    Gunpowder ignites at 801–867 °F

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I didn't read the entire thread, so if this has already been mentioned forgive me. Just spitballing, but I'm wondering if the increased heat is due to the new barrel.
    #1: maybe the Marksman barrels rifling causes more friction so it generates more heat.
    #2: The chambers are tighter so maybe the change in obturation times/ curves causes additional heat retention.

Either way, interesting stuff.

Site Supporter
    When I was a heath inspector and using a thermometer daily, I learned in training that infrared thermometers were not legal for any purpose in measuring temps relating to food safety. Too I learned that refrigeration repair techs loved them, because when they would aim the device against a cooler or freezer surface, they would measure surface temp only and not air temp and would produce a lower reading. Further study taught that another object near the one being tested could throw off the reading. Making an inference, I think that while the op was measuring slide surface temp, the barrel itself, also hot, may have been interfering with the reading. I've done mag dumps over the years with various firearms and in every case, extreme heat was produced. I noticed long ago that hot loads got guns hot more rapidly than so called other lighter loads. I'm not certain that we can generalize about Glock mag dumps and temps without controlling variables of which there are many. At the same time, I don't discount the op's concern.

Dammit Glock, just when I thought you got it right again.

Ok, new plan...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 1.02.44 AM.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  28.1 KB
    #IblameDarrylandbourbon
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-12-2019 at 12:15 AM.

User Tag List