Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen5 Glock heat issues

Site Supporter
    Until I see data using the scientific method and THERMOCOUPLES, I'm not going to worry too much. Guns get hot when you shoot them. The more you shoot, the hotter they get.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    This forum is good at making me worry.

I usually shoot 150 rounds within 20 minutes or so.
    I have magazines already loaded when I go to the range.

I never thought of a cook off. My slide is definitely too hot to touch afterwards. It is even uncomfortable to holster otw home.

Any thoughts on spring(s) wear because the slide gets hot?
    Then you should never read a forum about the kind of car you drive.

You're not going to cook off a round at that rate. You could ask @TomJones about spring failure. He loves those questions. My non-expert opinion is that it's cycling, not heat, that kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Until I see data using the scientific method and THERMOCOUPLES, I'm not going to worry too much. Guns get hot when you shoot them. The more you shoot, the hotter they get.
    I was wondering how the OP took the temps.
    Last edited by Hambo; 06-12-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Unless I am misreading the graph on page 4 of the CR2032 battery datasheet (which I could as I am recovering from a minor medical procedure), the 40C chart for the battery capacity exhibits less than 10% less usable capacity than the 25C chart. The 0C chart is the one that has the 40% reduced usable capacity.
    Last edited by farscott; 06-12-2019 at 01:46 PM.

I went all in on Gen 5 Glocks as soon as they were available and I never noticed them getting hotter than my previous Glocks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I went all in on Gen 5 Glocks as soon as they were available and I never noticed them getting hotter than my previous Glocks.
    But not for the side by side comparison with an earlier generation G26, I would have not noticed either.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Unless I am misreading the graph on page 4 of the CR2032 battery datasheet (which I could as I am recovering from a minor medical procedure), the 40C chart for the battery capacity exhibits less than 10% less usable capacity than the 25C chart. The 0C chart is the one that has the 40% reduced usable capacity.
    I have tried to stay out of this because primaries are not directly in my lane, but you're right. The chart on page 4 shows the relationship between single cycle capacity and temperature. Internal resistance in batteries is inversely proportional to temperature, so in general higher temps = lower IR = slower voltage drop = 'better' power performance. The blue line knees off faster than the green line in that graph because the battery is dumping its power better (which is why the blue line is higher than the green line through most of the graph).

Storage temperature, and even incidental temperature, absolutely affect the life of batteries. Again, I know secondaries better; at least in the context of an NMC cell, they permanently lose capacity at a 10x rate at 40C vs 20C (that's really, really coarse, but close enough for our discussion). This is alluded to but not addressed on page 7 of the energizer doc.

Our batteries in this application probably normally sit right around 30C, which is deleterious to the tune of about 3% per year (again an NMC number, may be totally wrong for CR2032 LMOs, I don't know). Occasionally (once a week?) spiking the temperature to 40 or even 50 for an hour or two probably has a measurable impact, but is probably not a game changer.

I would take the issue of hot balls as primary.
    Last edited by JAD; 06-13-2019 at 08:32 AM.

A couple of things I'm thinking might be worth doing to isolate any potential culprits:
    1. Do the same test on a G48/43X or 19X; while not "true" Gen 5s, they share many of the same features and design elements while having a different slide coating. (nDLC vs nPVD on the slimlines/19X)
    2. Since the Gen 4 19s and Gen 5 19s share the same barrels, swap a Gen 4 barrel into a Gen 5 gun and see if the issue persists, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    A couple of things I'm thinking might be worth doing to isolate any potential culprits:
    1. Do the same test on a G48/43X or 19X; while not "true" Gen 5s, they share many of the same features and design elements while having a different slide coating. (nDLC vs nPVD on the slimlines/19X)
    2. Since the Gen 4 19s and Gen 5 19s share the same barrels, swap a Gen 4 barrel into a Gen 5 gun and see if the issue persists, and vice versa.
    Gen4 and Gen5 (and, for that matter, G19X) G19 barrels are distinctly different animals, at least insofar as the rifling and barrel crowning is concerned. I don't have my Armorer's Manual at my office, so I can't attest if the inter-generational locking blocks are the same.

Switching barrels between generations of Glocks is something I'd be personally a bit wary of doing; I'd at least contact mothership Smyrna and talk to Tech Support about it first. It sounds do-able, but I'd get some official clarification first. Especially because there are significant differences in the receivers between Gen4 and Gen5.

Best, Jon

If I'm not mistaken, Gen 5's have different sights due to dimensional changes in barrel lock-up.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Gen 5's have different sights due to dimensional changes in barrel lock-up.
    Some do some do not. The ones with the same height sights work better.

User Tag List