Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen5 Glock heat issues

I have lost track, what is the latest thinking on this topic:

1) that if it is hotter, is a comfort issue with appendix and high volume shooting.

2) it is a potential durability issue for Gen 5 pistols.

3) it is a safety issue (cookoffs).

4) it is a red dot battery issue.

5) it is a red dot durability issue.

6) none of the above.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Subjective, but I shot several hundred rounds through a gen5 34 and a gen4 17 today and grabbed the slide several timesafter completing a few drills with each and could not pick one out as being hotter than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

1) that if it is hotter, is a comfort issue with appendix and high volume shooting.

6) none of the above.
    #6 for me with maybe #4 if I had an ACRO.
    Last edited by JHC; 06-13-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

6) none of the above.
    #6 for me. I’m of the mind that the G5 guns are just different.

Currently #6 until there is some data regarding battery life on the various optics. If optic batteries are dying prematurely then you might have to test to see if the gen 5s are the culprits or not.

#6 for me.

Gen5 Glock heat issues

Rmr2 battery lasted over a year. Not too worried about heat with mine. But I have seen batteries get smoked from heat in Motorsports world. I do know that changing coatings on exhaust components does indeed change how the heat is distributed. Obviously a big difference in temp but coatings are proven to make a difference. (Not saying I think it’s the slide coating,but it is a proven topic) Barrel a different material,thickness,or coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 06-13-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Excuse me if I missed this OP, but what ammo are you regularly using?

I’ve shot more than 8K rounds through my Gen 5 G17 and I don’t notice it getting any hotter than my other pistols, Gen 2 included. But I’m not sure I could tell the difference between 120deg and 150deg? I notice warmness of the slide with my trigger finger in register, but that’s about it. Bill drills, doubles, lots of multiple shot rapid pace drills in close succession, I haven’t noticed anything unusual. Ammo for me has almost exclusively been AE 124g.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    AE 115 or 124.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I did all but a few rounds of my shooting with the pistol using Blazer Brass 115 grain ammo. The few oddball rounds were 124 grain +P Federal HST.

As for the list mentioned earlier:

1. There is most definitely a comfort issue with my pistol. As I said in the original post, it is a sample of one. I can't say that it is a universal phenomenon with the Gen5 pistols, but I can say that I'm not the only person I know who has said they notice a difference in how hot multiple samples get.

2. I can't say if it is a potential durability issue for the pistols. The amount of shooting I'm doing through the pistol is happening far in excess of what most people are going to do with the guns. As an example, a local police department has 4 range days a year, two for qualifying and two for practice. They shoot 200 rounds per day. In the last session I had with my pistol I shot 450 rounds in 2.5 hours. If...and I want to say that again, here...IF there is a durability issue that arises because of how hot my pistol is getting you'd likely have to shoot a hell of a lot and a hell of a lot more than the ~ 4,000 rounds I've put through the gun in the last couple of months to make it manifest. I don't think even power users are going to find that components are failing as a result of the temperature buildup. Everything in the gun should probably be OK at a temperature north of 200 degrees...and you're going to put the thing down before you hit that point.

3. Extremely unlikely, but I'm paranoid as shit because of how long I've been doing gun stuff and how many weird things I've seen.

4. Since, on my gun, I have documented a temperature change in the housing of the optic there is a possibility that the battery life I experience from the ACRO might be impacted. Given the other factors involved in getting used to living with the optic under various conditions there are too many confounding variables. Generally speaking given what is known about heat and batteries, it's a pretty good guess that if the optic is getting hot then the battery life will be impacted in some way, but it's hard to say exactly how without measuring the inside of the battery compartment and the temperature of the battery. I don't have a good way of doing either given the construction of both.

5. Potentially, but not in the concern that the ACRO is going to fail. What the heat cycling can potentially do to the screws holding mounting plates or optics to the slide and/or the thread locking compounds used to keep vibration from working the screws loose is an open question. So far with blue loc-tite on my gun I haven't seen any evidence of loosening of the mounting plate or the optic. In terms of worry, I'm more worried about the potential for the heat to impact battery life or the secure mounting of the optic than of the optic failing.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 06-15-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List