Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Gen5 Glock heat issues

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    That's good stuff. Thanks for the research. Does anyone know of there is something like an industry standard for this type of heat retention? It would be interesting to see what the data is for other pistols too. H&K, Sig, etc.
    I doubt the handgun industry has ever given emissivity any consideration.
    I highly doubt any entity has ever put "emissivity of "X" for "X" component" anywhere on a pistol spec sheet unless it was in regards to IR signature at certain wavelengths for "camouflage" against common thermal imagers used in military applications.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

@JodyH, thank you for your testing. I love seeing enthusiasts do this kind of stuff. Science indeed!

I love the Gen 2 slide finish, it’s by far my favorite. It is way more grippy than the Gen 5 finish and it just plain looks cool as it wears.

Having said that, I have over 11K rounds through my Gen 5 through numerous practice sessions and matches. It does get warm, sure, but it’s never been uncomfortable through any session I’ve shot. I can’t imagine any legit practice session that would get the slide hot enough to cause an issue. Reseting, taping, and loading mags allow the gun to cool too much. If you are dumping mag after mag, just having fun and learning practically nothing in the process (and there is nothing wrong with this), maybe it might get too hot to handle properly, maybe.

But If you are trying to get better, mag dumps are not what you should be doing, and the heat issue with the Gen 5 should not be an issue. It’s never been for me.

Clobb’s perfect world: Glock makes a Gen 6 with a Gen 2 slide finish, a flat safety plunger and a grip texture to the top of the grip panels! I’m looking at you Glock......do it!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Having said that, I have over 11K rounds through my Gen 5 through numerous practice sessions and matches. It does get warm, sure, but it’s never been uncomfortable through any session I’ve shot.
    Interesting data to come.
    My Gen5 45 and Gen5 19 both have significantly higher emissivities than the 19X (but appear to be lower than the Gen2).
    I haven't had time to calculate the emissivities yet, but just eyeballing them against a known 0.95 i'm guessing they are somewhere in the 0.70 to 0.85 range, so they won't retain heat like the 19X does.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Interesting data to come.
    My Gen5 45 and Gen5 19 both have significantly higher emissivities than the 19X (but appear to be lower than the Gen2).
    I haven't had time to calculate the emissivities yet, but just eyeballing them against a known 0.95 i'm guessing they are somewhere in the 0.70 to 0.85 range, so they won't retain heat like the 19X does.
    Gen5 = nDLC finish
    G19X = PVD finish

Hammertime
    Thanks for shedding some infrared on this issue @JodyH

Totally unscientific, and n=1, but was at range this morning with G19.5 MOS. Shot about 200-225 rounds in slightly less than an hour. Used three mags, mostly loaded with 10 rounds each (using S&B 115 ball), as I was primarily practicing accuracy/trigger control, and then some single and double shots from holster to turning target, again focusing on smoothing out the trigger press.

Heatwise, barrel got warm, and was warmer at the muzzle than near the chamber. But it never got hot enough that I couldn't touch it. Actually, I could pretty much hold onto the slide.

Maybe it was the indoor range, with A/C. But just didn't get hotter than what I'd think is normal.

I use a gen 3 Vickers 19.

It gets pretty damn hot after my range sessions. Usually I have 150 or 170 rounds already loaded in pmags.

Can I assume that a newer gen 5norn19xight not work for me?

My range sessions are only 10 minutes or so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I use a gen 3 Vickers 19.

It gets pretty damn hot after my range sessions. Usually I have 150 or 170 rounds already loaded in pmags.

Can I assume that a newer gen 5norn19xight not work for me?

My range sessions are only 10 minutes or so.

Thanks
    Interesting. What drills are you doing to burn through that many rounds in 10 minutes?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    JodyH, could you team up with a department during qualifying? I would like to see a larger sample pool. I wonder if this temp is uniform across all the gen5 pistols. I wish Glock would address this. I want to go all in on the gen 5 Glock 9mm. I wonder if it’s the finish, a metal change or the barrel rifling? I can’t believe a change in the barrel lockup would do it. Has anybody tried an aftermarket barrel?
    Last edited by Poconnor; 09-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    Jody,

You the man....you have smoked me in AFHF, you have smoked me in ECQC; you will likely smoke me 3/15/20 (hell, your boy will smoke me).

Thank you.

pat

User Tag List