Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good gun related fact checking at CNN

Good gun related fact checking at CNN

Not kidding, Jake Tapper did a good job.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...check-orig.cnn
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not kidding, Jake Tapper did a good job.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...check-orig.cnn
    I think he's the one journalist on the network who seems to actually care about what is true and has little tolerance for overt b.s.

(Based on the limited number of times I've seen his show or reports.)

That said, I know nothing about his personal politics or any agendas he may have.
    Last edited by blues; 06-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Pretty good.

However he did say that you can purchase firearms without a background check at gun shows and if you purchase on the internet

cc

Meh, still got a bunch of facts wrong (NRA didn't put any pressure on trump for the bump stop ban, automatic weapons can still be legally purchased by new owners, pushed the myth of the gun show loophole, etc)
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-10-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Pretty good.

However he did say that you can purchase firearms without a background check at gun shows and if you purchase on the internet

cc
    Neither statement is untrue. I've done both. Granted, I wasn't purchasing from dealers, but I did buy a gun at a gun show without a background check and I did arrange to purchase guns, by way of local transaction, via the Internet. The defense in both cases is that there is no law requiring a background check when purchasing guns from private individuals via a face-to-face transaction.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Neither statement is untrue. I've done both. Granted, I wasn't purchasing from dealers, but I did buy a gun at a gun show without a background check and I did arrange to purchase guns, by way of local transaction, via the Internet. The defense in both cases is that there is no law requiring a background check when purchasing guns from private individuals via a face-to-face transaction.

Chris
    All well and true but the way the media typically frames this, it's that you can just jump online and buy as many guns as you want from anywhere and not have to pass any kind of checks (and same for all of those huge tables they love to show at gun shows when they make that claim about gun show purchases).

cc

Site Supporter
    Amazing to find a liberal news source fact-checking Democrats and actually making a reasonably good effort to get it right, even if his own facts were not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    NRA didn't put any pressure on trump for the bump stop ban
    From the NRA, they told him to ban bump stocks to stop an otherwise unstoppable AWB.

Also, Tapper took Candidate Cory B. apart on gun control. Bill Maher, a gun owner for emergencies, but not a committed RKBA person, pointed that out to Charles Blow - Blow blew his top on that. Fun to watch.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 06-10-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    I get what you're saying, but you didn't "buy a gun on the internet." Full stop. When this country was free(-ish), you'd order a gun from the Sears Roebuck catalog and your mailman would leave it on your porch.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think he's the one journalist on the network who seems to actually care about what is true and has little tolerance for overt b.s.

(Based on the limited number of times I've seen his show or reports.)

That said, I know nothing about his personal politics or any agendas he may have.
    He is is also taking blowback from the left in recent days for his "bad question" to Corey Booker: "How would your proposed law have prevented the Virginia Beach shooting?" Booker was flummoxed by the question.

On a range of topics I've seen him and other CNN figures grill Democrats pretty hard. The Sunday grilling of Bernie case in point. For example from a female anchor: Words to the effect "Walmart is paying $4 over the Federal minimum. So why pick on them when Congress can't pass a law to raise it?"
    Last edited by JHC; 06-11-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List