Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving Second-Shot Accuracy

Improving Second-Shot Accuracy

So one of the weaknesses that came out of the KSTG match on Tuesday was my second-shot accuracy. Aside from practicing the "double-tap", are there any other drills (either live- or dry-fire) that I can practice that will help with this?

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    So one of the weaknesses that came out of the KSTG match on Tuesday was my second-shot accuracy. Aside from practicing the "double-tap", are there any other drills (either live- or dry-fire) that I can practice that will help with this?
    In dry practice, I do a lot of "reset drills" where I'll cycle the slide on the gun, let the trigger out to the reset point and press it back as slowly as possible. Like a wall drill but with reset.

Site Supporter
    First, I would make sure you're getting a good grip and not cheating it. Sometimes people cheat their grip and get off one shot a little sooner, but the poor grip doesn't allow for a good followup shot.

Also, I would practice drills that help track your sights. Like this one:
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/88

I like to shoot at an 8" circle @ 5Y. I try to shoot at a pace of 1 shot / second. I'm focusing on watching the front sight. After a mag or two, I try and shoot at a pace of 1 shot every 3/4 of a second. Then 1 shot every half second.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    First, I would make sure you're getting a good grip and not cheating it.
    Could you explain "cheating it"?

Also, is there any value in practicing sight tracking with a .22lr pistol? I know that once I start working on speed, the .22lr is kinda worthless since the pacing is different, but to get the fundamentals of watching the front sight, could I save some $$ by shooting the .22 (which is also an M&P)?

ETA: Thanks for the tips, JV and Caleb. Very much appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    In dry practice, I do a lot of "reset drills" where I'll cycle the slide on the gun, let the trigger out to the reset point and press it back as slowly as possible. Like a wall drill but with reset.
    I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this myself, though I'm not specifically slowing the trigger press - just trying to make it a good one. I combine this with on-target transitions (body to head) and target-to-target transitions too.

Also, is there any value in practicing sight tracking with a .22lr pistol? I know that once I start working on speed, the .22lr is kinda worthless since the pacing is different, but to get the fundamentals of watching the front sight, could I save some $$ by shooting the .22 (which is also an M&P)?

ETA: Thanks for the tips, JV and Caleb. Very much appreciate the help!
    Yes, absolutely provided you're shooting a .22 with a RECIPROCATING SLIDE.

Otherwise, the only thing you're going to be working on is breaking the shot when your sights are where they want to be.

Using a .22 caliber gun with a reciprocating slide allows you to work all of the fundamentals of trigger press and sight tracking at least to a certain extent. Again, not to use JV's term but, dont "cheat" with your grip. Maintain consistent pressure even with the .22.

For me, the big value of a .22 is in trigger control, which I can get from dry practice instead. I honestly don't shoot much .22 these days.

Site Supporter
    The grip is good enough to get off one shot, but not good enough to properly control the recoil/rise. You can have a suboptimal grip for one shot, but you may not see the negatives until you try to fire the 2nd shot.

It's common, for me, with reloads. I often shoot 1-R-1, and I can get a suboptimal grip after the reload to get a smoking (for me) time, but if I had to shoot a 1-R-2 the last split would be horrible. I have to take the extra time to get the right grip after the reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Yes, absolutely provided you're shooting a .22 with a RECIPROCATING SLIDE.
    It is, so yay

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    The grip is good enough to get off one shot, but not good enough to properly control the recoil/rise. You can have a suboptimal grip for one shot, but you may not see the negatives until you try to fire the 2nd shot.

It's common, for me, with reloads. I often shoot 1-R-1, and I can get a suboptimal grip after the reload to get a smoking (for me) time, but if I had to shoot a 1-R-2 the last split would be horrible. I have to take the extra time to get the right grip after the reload.
    That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Rob Leatham's take on using dry fire practice for second shot recovery.

http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/library.php?video_id=690

For learning to control recoil and grip, he feels you need to do it live fire.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 03-30-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: corrected hyperlink
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List