Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a hunting chest pack

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I too am in the market for one for my upcoming Wyoming trip. Been eyeing the HPG and I think I found a low profile one that will fit my S&W1006.

I’ve also been eyeing that Emerson knockoff but knowing how Chinese manufacturing works have yet to pull the trigger.

Does anyone know if HPG offers discounts or sales?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    I run the heavy recon version slick but with my becker BK17 knife & sheath attached to the bottom molle which works out nicely. I wore that setup on a 3-day Kings peak backpacking trip in the High Uintahs pretty comfortably. Primary gear selection for the kit bag is survival essentials, navigation gear, and firearm/spare mag.
    I have the regular Recon (I think) with a small pouch attached to the front molle and also an ESEE Izula II carried handle down on the front. This setup works quite well for me. I just wish I had the chance to use it more! The kit bag is a really good piece of gear.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I don't recall any sales/discounts. IIRC I was just happy to get one.

Mine is an original and it's got room for a pistol, a small FAK/TQ, and my GPS/wallet/keys. They sell a shock cord for running, and whether you buy one or make one, I prefer to use it even when walking.

The only down side, which may not be as bad on the 2.0, is carrying a revolver. If I stuff my Single-Seven in the bag without a holster it is secure, but the front edge of the cylinder hits me squarely in the sternum. To carry it comfortably I have to carry it muzzle down with the grip exposed. I do not that that problem with a 1911.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I don't recall any sales/discounts. IIRC I was just happy to get one.

Mine is an original and it's got room for a pistol, a small FAK/TQ, and my GPS/wallet/keys. They sell a shock cord for running, and whether you buy one or make one, I prefer to use it even when walking.

The only down side, which may not be as bad on the 2.0, is carrying a revolver. If I stuff my Single-Seven in the bag without a holster it is secure, but the front edge of the cylinder hits me squarely in the sternum. To carry it comfortably I have to carry it muzzle down with the grip exposed. I do not that that problem with a 1911.
    I face planted once out running with my a G19 in one. That pistol knocked the wind out of me legit. I got to my feet and a real old timer was walking past and said "I bet that hurt." LOL

Rib looked like it was bulging out but it wasn't broken. It was months before I could bench 25 lb dumbells. That was the end of my neutral/forefoot footstrike running experiment!
    Last edited by JHC; 06-10-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have the original HPG chest pack and like it very much. Chest packs are used a lot by fly fishermen, and mfgrs like Simms and Fishpond make some quality variations, such as completely waterproof ones (but also expensive). Places like Cabelas, L.L. Bean and Bass Pro Shops offer some less expensive options.

Depending on what you plan to carry, many of the fly fishing versions may be problematic (or terrific) in that they are designed to hold a lot of small stuff that fly fishers carry. A simpler version might be better for hunting. But check 'em out.

A couple times a year there is a sale where I think the mark everything 5% off.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I face planted once out running with my a G19 in one. That pistol knocked the wind out of me legit. I got to my feet and a real old timer was walking past and said "I bet that hurt." LOL

Rib looked like it was bulging out but it wasn't broken. It was months before I could bench 25 lb dumbells. That was the end of my neutral/forefoot footstrike running experiment!
    Name:  mistakesdemotivator_large.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  20.8 KB

I remember that story, and I am wary.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I use my original kit bag for hunting. Bow, blackpowder and rifle seasons, for at least 8 years. I like them so much I have 5 (original, runners, recon, snubby, heavy recon), covers everything from mountain biking to fishing.

Scot and Evan are good guys who put a lot of thought into their products.
    Last edited by vaspence; 06-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.

I love the people, the company and the quality of their products. However, I almost never use the chest pack anymore in the field. If you are hiking vigorously and/or in weather, you are either constantly repositioning the chest pack or it ends up covered by another garment. I end up going appendix or using a Safariland thigh rig, which allows me to vent and adjust clothing without taking the chest pack off constantly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I have an extra Hill People Gear chest bag (I’d have to look to see exactly which one) that I’m not using and likely never will. I can send it to you for exactly zero dollars — which is a little cheaper than the one you linked to.
    I’ll get you for this, Jones.
    #RESIST

User Tag List