Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CZ-97 B in .45acp caliber

At the time I bought my CZ 97BD, I was under the impression it was somewhat of a unicorn. Rarely seen and scooped up quickly when available. I also used this thinking when I bought my Ruger P-90. I read when it was being discontinued (years ago) so I bought one. Don't regret it, but kinda see that it lagged behind in several areas when compared to the competition.

My observations since shooting the ole 97. It is a large, bulky pistol. For me and my hands, the DA first shot is a bit of a stretch. The SA mode feels more natural, easier to access the trigger. The grip has a nice beaver tail which I like. Helps anchor the pistol in my hand. The grip also reminds me (somewhat) of the 1911 from the comfort/feel in the hand.

Its been 100% functioning in all aspects. If I had a choice between the 97 or the S&W M&P 45 full-size, I would take the Smith. Both 10 shot with similar length barrel. That first DA trigger pull sways my opinion to the M&P. I use the 97 for a range gun. I know I could send it off to CGW to address the DA trigger but since I don't shoot it that much I don't want to invest the money.

Gonna keep it. Only have the 2 mags that came with the pistol. My Glock 30 is about 3 weeks old and up to 11 mags on that one, if that tells you anything!!

Yeah it helps if you have large hands for that DA pull. You could get the safety version and carry cocked and locked...but I got it specifically with a decocker because I prefer that DA first pull.

Installing a CGW hammer spring and a couple of other tidbits were pretty easy and worth the price of admission, and it really helped both DA and SA trigger pulls. Then again, I went into it with a decent understanding of the sear cage, and a bunch of spare lifter springs

If you don't grok the sear cage...yeah, best to let CGW, CZ Custom, or someone else tackle that work. It can be frustrating, not to mention those lifter springs add up eventually...

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I think one of the Witness .45 pistols are a better choice. Not as large and the trigger reach is shorter. The thumb safety is also easier to reach for small handed shooters. I had a CZ 97 and tried to love it, but it was to large in the areas mentioned and the feed ramp looked steeper than the Witness so I got the Witness and Megar K2 Magazines for it. Even got a matching copy of it in 10MM.

I had always been curious about the 97 as well. I am a big CZ fan anyways, so decided to pick one up when I found a good deal. Well I found one a couple weeks ago and went for it. I was watching a BD model, but was concerned about the DA trigger reach. Well, I ended up passing on the BD and very glad I did. The DA reach is way too long for me to use it that way. I have not fired mine yet, but hope to soon. it is more of a collector piece for me anyways.

I've got a 97B that has been converted to SAO with a straight trigger and action job from CZ Custom. It is a very easy .45 ACP to shoot. And very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I've got a 97B that has been converted to SAO with a straight trigger and action job from CZ Custom. It is a very easy .45 ACP to shoot. And very accurate.
    That’s kind of the idea kicking around in my head. This would be just a range toy so the inability of my stubby digits to easily run the DA is a non-factor.

I’ve had steel and poly Witnesses in the past. Nothing against them and they’re great bargains if you can get them for 2010-2014 prices. When the prices started bumping up after that it was hard for me not to justify spending “a little more” for the CZs.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It's odd, but a CZ97 in .45 interest me in a way that a 1911 in .45 doesn't.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I bought a CZ97B about the same time as a Witness 45. The 97B was a little picky on ammo when I got it, but I sent just the entire slide assembly to some guy out west, I can't remember his name, but I got it off a CZ forum and when it came back, it gobbled up anything. The Witness ate everything out of the box, and honestly, I liked it better. I sold off the 97B for almost what I paid for it, including the feedramp work, and kept the Witness, which has eaten a lot of .45 ACP up at this point. Of my .45 semiautos, I like the SAR K2 45 a little better than the Witness, but they all are great guns. I don't have huge hands, but none of the above guns caused me any problems shooting it DA. I just wish I had waited for a SAR in stainless. One of these days...

I was able to handle a 97B yesterday. I wear 2XL gloves and I could barely reach the thumb safety. Felt great in the hand though.

It's been lurking in the dim recesses of my mind for years, but from a strictly practical standpoint, my current Glock G21 and 1911s make as much, if not more sese, and if I wanted a new .45 ACP platform, I'd likely look at an HK 45 or HK USP 45, or a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertable revo.

Best, Jon

User Tag List