Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CZ-97 B in .45acp caliber

CGW 97BD for sale. I have no dog in the hunt. Just saw it and though of this.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=103290.0
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    This is one gun I've always kinda known was there... and just haven't given a lot of thought to--until recently.

When I was researching .45s in non-concealed carry oriented sizes, the 97 inevitably crossed my mind. I've never actually seen one. But it seems... charismatically large. Like something a modern-day Sonny Crockett would carry... in a shoulder holster, of course.

Most seem to say they shoot really well. One question: would it be a total no-go for small hands? (i.e., trigger reach)
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    This is one gun I've always kinda known was there... and just haven't given a lot of thought to--until recently.

When I was researching .45s in non-concealed carry oriented sizes, the 97 inevitably crossed my mind. I've never actually seen one. But it seems... charismatically large. Like something a modern-day Sonny Crockett would carry... in a shoulder holster, of course.

Most seem to say they shoot really well. One question: would it be a total no-go for small hands? (i.e., trigger reach)
    I wouldn’t say it’s a no-go definitively (what is your glove size to help approximate?).

The base of the grip is quite wide, but like most CZ pistols, one can really grip up on it, and the grip tapers towards the top. Have you been comfortable handling any other double stack .45 (HK, Glock, etc)? If you have and have been fine, I see no reason why the CZ 97 would be any different.

The only way to really tell is get your hands on one and find out for sure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I purchased a CZ 97B from CZ Custom here in Mesa, AZ a few months go. Had them convert it to SAO, remove the FPB, and install an adjustable rear sight along with a F/O front sight. Also tuned the action. It is a really nice pistol and very, very accurate. Naturally, it is a large pistol, but the only place I really notice it is in the grip length (front to back), and with my large hands (size 12 gloves), it is not an issue at all. It is surprising how close the exterior dimensions are to my CZ 75 SP01 Shadow pistols. It weighs 49.2 oz. when full up (10+1) with 230 gr. ammo. Recoil is about like a typical 9mm steel pistol with 124 gr. ammo.

May as well have them install a barrel bushing while they're in there

Site Supporter
    I have a close friend of 40+ years who has been a 1911 devote all that time. His one quirk is not wanting his 1911s cocked when they are not in a holster on his belt. Since he is also a dedicated 45 ACP fan and he has very large hands, I recommended he look at the CZ-97B. I went with him when he found one and once he had a look and got the feel of it he bought it. He is quite pleased with the gun and now has several thousand rounds through it. No malfunctions that weren't ammo related.

His problem with it and any other gun without a SA trigger is the DA first shot. When he wears it it is cocked-n-locked but any other time, when it is in a case or the drawer by his bed, the hammer is down. For that reason he has spent considerable time working on his first pair and the transition, from DA to SA. He has some mastery of it but complains that he must constantly train or the skill deteriorates. I have shot the gun (SA only) and as stated above it is heavy (and large) and consequently very easy to mange in recoil control. It feels like it just sets there waiting for the next trigger press.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-11-2019 at 09:44 AM.

CZ 97

"May as well have them install a barrel bushing while they're in there"

I seriously considered installation of a bushing, and, can of course have that work done at a later date if desired. I have shot the pistol with only three different types of ammo so far (230 gr. factory JHP, 230 gr. factory FMJ, and 230 gr. MG 230 gr. CMJ hand load). All three have been very accurate, shooting at or near the same size groups as my Wilson Combat and Ed Brown .45 ACP 1911 pistols.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoldie00 View Post
    I wouldn’t say it’s a no-go definitively (what is your glove size to help approximate?).

The base of the grip is quite wide, but like most CZ pistols, one can really grip up on it, and the grip tapers towards the top. Have you been comfortable handling any other double stack .45 (HK, Glock, etc)? If you have and have been fine, I see no reason why the CZ 97 would be any different.

The only way to really tell is get your hands on one and find out for sure.
    To be honest, I couldn’t say what my glove size is—which seems odd that I don’t know that. I’ve shot an HK45... seemed okay. Owned a HK45c. DA was a bit of a stretch... some measure of hand readjustment was inevitable for the transition. Even a 1911 with long trigger is a reach for my fingers.

Took CZ97BD to the range today

I bought the above CZ about 6 months or so ago. Have taken it out once, so today, I took her to the range today. I shot 150 rounds of American Eagle 230 full metal jacket. 100% function. This baby really soaks up recoil with a steel frame and full dust cover. A friend at the range who is CZ addicted tried 4 magazine through it. He was really impressed with the accuracy of the pistol. He is quite a bit younger than me, which translates into younger eyes. He easily put 5 rounds in a 1 inch circle, freehand at the 7 yard line. After the 4 magazines, he commented about the accuracy and trigger pull, both of which he was impressed with. He also shot at a gong ( 8-10 inch diameter ) from the 25 yard line and kept it moving with each shot.

This pistol has a chamber loaded indicator assembly. It consists of a small plate, a screw, a spring, and small indicator rod that protrudes up when the chamber is loaded. I had read that the screw which attaches the assembly to the slide can work loose. With my first outing, sure nuff, the little screw loosened. Another shooter had some blue loctite. He applied a drop to the screw threads and tightened it up just snug. I did not shoot the pistol any further that day in order for the loctite to set. Today, I kept a check on that screw and it held tight. All in all, a good day!

Are our resident 97B owners still happy with them? Because...
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I don't know about you guys and gals, but when I get something on my mind, it festers there until I act.....usually by purchasing what is on my mind.
    Name:  tenor.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  17.1 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have one and yeah...it's big, heavy, super soft shooting, and very accurate. I had a Bar-Sto barrel fitted to mine for...reasons.

Name:  IMG_0451.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  71.1 KB

I actually have a set of rubber grip swell grips on it now as the factory aluminum ones were just too thin for me..

Edit - It's in the same size category as a USP in 45 for me, and I kind of wish I could find a good AIWB holster for it...

User Tag List