Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2019

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Baseball 2019

I’m enjoying the hockey thread but that’ll be over Wednesday. Hopefully with the Blues winning the Stanley Cup. [emoji51]

Any baseball fans here? I’d rather discuss it here than a sports forum, y’all seem to know that the teams we follow don’t actually effect our lives or pay our bills.

3 out of 6 divisions are pretty much run away with already. But it’s still early...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wife grew up a Mets fan and I've been a lifelong Yankees fan (but supported the Marlins when we lived in South FL).

While I love baseball, (and most sports...), I'm frustrated by the Yankees inability to get their pitching staff in order and generally threaten to never watch another game a couple of times a week.

They have an almost good enough team, but I think their pitching will once again be their demise. You can't count on enough home runs every game to overcome your deficits. Though you can come close.

Teams like the Red Sox, Astros, in the AL have been better in recent years in this regard. The Dodgers in the NL...and now Tampa Bay and Minnesota showing off what they can do.

Going to be interesting, and probably frustrating.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The wife grew up a Mets fan and I've been a lifelong Yankees fan (but supported the Marlins when we lived in South FL).

While I love baseball, (and most sports...), I'm frustrated by the Yankees inability to get their pitching staff in order and generally threaten to never watch another game a couple of times a week.

They have an almost good enough team, but I think their pitching will once again be their demise. You can't count on enough home runs every game to overcome your deficits. Though you can come close.

Teams like the Red Sox, Astros, in the AL have been better in recent years in this regard. The Dodgers in the NL...and now Tampa Bay and Minnesota showing off what they can do.

Going to be interesting, and probably frustrating.
    It’s really amazing how well the Yankees have done this year with all the injuries they’ve had. But yeah, their pitching is not great again. CC probably should have hung it up last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It’s really amazing how well the Yankees have done this year with all the injuries they’ve had. But yeah, their pitching is not great again. CC probably should have hung it up last year.
    I was thrilled when they brought in LeMahieu, and Urshela has been a great and welcome surprise. The kid, Frazier, has talent but his personality irks me and he needs to learn to play the outfield better.

Couldn't agree more re: CC. German can't make it through the 4th. Chad Green has lost his mojo. Ottavino is usually pretty good but not 100% reliable, and Zack Britton and Chapman give me agita.

Tanaka, Happ and Paxton have been sub par. Not so much Tanaka as the other two, especially Happ. I was hoping just getting rid of Sonny Gray was going to help get things back on track.

I'm not counting on #28 this year.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yankees have a good talent pool to pull from, even though you could argue they’ve overperformed to put them at their current record. No telling if it’ll last.

Anybody see that no-hitter thrown by a Vanderbilt freshman, Kumar Rocker?

He put on a clinic. It was unreal - 19k

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    Anybody see that no-hitter thrown by a Vanderbilt freshman, Kumar Rocker?

He put on a clinic. It was unreal - 19k

Read about it but haven't seen the game or highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Read about it but haven't seen the game or highlights.
    Here's a good article about the no-hitter and a video compilation of some of the strikeouts. Most of the pitches in the video are of a nasty slider in the dirt for the payoff pitch, but I really enjoyed how he set up batters to go for the slider in the dirt. He mixed it up with a great fastball -- up to 98 mph in the 9th inning, a decent changeup, and a breaking ball that he would throw for a strike, just dropping in the zone and making the batters knees buckle. It was something else.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/a...ep-vanderbilts

Huge baseball fan, and my TV is usually tuned to a game between the end of March and the beginning of November. I am a Braves fan, having watched from the beginning of the Ted Turner era ("Like lambs to the slaughter, the Braves take the field") to the fourteen consecutive division titles and a WS to the cellar and back to contention again. Seen them play in three different stadiums at home (Atlanta-Fulton, Turner Field, Suntrust Park) over the years and a few on the road.

When the Yankees or Mets play the Braves or Reds we have to watch their broadcast due to the MLB rules for the market we're in. Otherwise we can watch the games with "our" guys in the booth. Kinda sucks when you're paying for the package...but so it goes.

User Tag List