Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a revolver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They are repairable but like cars of similar vintage they are no longer factory supported.

Options for parts are aftermarket, like power custom, gun parts Corp, or, if you are serious, these guys-https://everygunpart.com
    A simple rule of thumb for S&W revolvers—firing pin on hammer, not factory supported; firing pin on frame, factory supported.

Site Supporter
    I own none of the proposed choices....BUT..just received an email offering today from Bud's for a 9mm SP101 for $489.00. Seems I just re-entered the 9mm world (Gen5 G19), so a 9mm revolver sure has me salivating. Don't know if you're interested, just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I own none of the proposed choices....BUT..just received an email offering today from Bud's for a 9mm SP101 for $489.00. Seems I just re-entered the 9mm world (Gen5 G19), so a 9mm revolver sure has me salivating. Don't know if you're interested, just sayin.....
    For a fun shooter it would be awesome, but moonclips are a no-go for self defense guns.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    For a fun shooter it would be awesome, but moonclips are a no-go for self defense guns.
    Maybe I've been visited by the Bad Idea Fairy, but could one run .38 Short Colt out of one and handload the cases to 9mm specs?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I kno they wont eject but can you otherwise run a 9mm SP-101 without moon clips ?

I kno they wont eject but can you otherwise run a 9mm SP-101 without moon clips ?
    I don’t know to be honest. It really depends on how they designed the cylinder.

Re: the Short Colt question the answer is “it depends” because not all Short Colt brass is created equal. I don’t think the rim thickness is correct in general to get proper headspacing and avoid rimlock.

No hands on experience, but they make a Blackhawk in 9mm, so I would think so.

The LCR 9mm works fine without moon clips.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Ouch!

Just echoing others comments; I shoot a 1 7/8in, LCR in 38 +P, and it's about as much as my hand can take. I have to power down the rounds for any sort of practicing. I can't imagine putting a full house 357 in a similar sized/weight gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Maybe I've been visited by the Bad Idea Fairy, but could one run .38 Short Colt out of one and handload the cases to 9mm specs?
    From a pressure perspective it would be totally fine.

The extractor groove mentioned is the deal. I run Starline brass and Hearthco clips and have never had an issue, but if I try to switch brass the ammo may not work at all. One of the other major brands also work but which one escapes me. I have a lifetime supply of brass and clips so I never really bothered to keep track.

Your cylinder needs to be cut for the thickness of what clips you are running too. It’s not like running factory Glock mags and grabbing some Magpuls on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List