Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Maybe I've been visited by the Bad Idea Fairy, but could one run .38 Short Colt out of one and handload the cases to 9mm specs?
    If you want some .38 Short Colt brass to load let me know. I've got a bucket full that's not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    For a fun shooter it would be awesome, but moonclips are a no-go for self defense guns.
    Why are moon clips a no-go in self-defense guns?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Why are moon clips a no-go in self-defense guns?
    They get bent. If your reload moonclip is bent before you get a chance to load it in the gun, you will probably not get all of the rounds to start in the cylinder, or if you do, they won’t seat fully and you won’t be able to close it. In the either case, you may then have a difficult time getting them back out to un-kitten the gun. Hence, the reload, far from getting your gun back up and running when you might need it, would turn your gun into a tied-up, completely kittened useless mess.

On the other hand, moonclips are basically the only way to load a revolver when it’s muzzle is pointed upward, like if you were in a compromised position on the ground wounded or behind cover. Other means of loading a cylinder would have the rounds falling back out due to gravity.
    Last edited by Duelist; 06-15-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    For a fun shooter it would be awesome, but moonclips are a no-go for self defense guns.
    Come at me Bro!

Name:  ZdwYADQ (1).jpg
Views: 313
Size:  99.1 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Come at me Bro!

Name:  ZdwYADQ (1).jpg
Views: 313
Size:  99.1 KB
    Is that a cut-down, parkerized 1917 Colt?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Is that a cut-down, parkerized 1917 Colt?
    Indeed! Saw it on another forum. Had to have it. Shoots good and makes me smile. Edited to add: That is the prior owner's picture. I've only shot some low powered lead rimmed loads through it. I suppose it would be safe with modern pressure defensive ammo -but it will likely never see any.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 06-15-2019 at 02:41 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    If you want some .38 Short Colt brass to load let me know. I've got a bucket full that's not being used.
    Thanks, but I'm not the one with the 9mm. And I have two buckets of .38 brass.

A guy here showed me pictures of a revolver he uses for combat shoots. He cut the cylinder back to use only .38 Short Colt and fitted a barrel with an extension that goes from the frame to the cylinder. My soul cringed.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    They get bent. If your reload moonclip is bent before you get a chance to load it in the gun, you will probably not get all of the rounds to start in the cylinder, or if you do, they won’t seat fully and you won’t be able to close it. In the either case, you may then have a difficult time getting them back out to un-kitten the gun. Hence, the reload, far from getting your gun back up and running when you might need it, would turn your gun into a tied-up, completely kittened useless mess.

On the other hand, moonclips are basically the only way to load a revolver when it’s muzzle is pointed upward, like if you were in a compromised position on the ground wounded or behind cover. Other means of loading a cylinder would have the rounds falling back out due to gravity.
    If I have 642 that is cut for moonclips. Is there any reason not to carry the clips in the gun? I can see how they would bend if carried in a pocket for spares. Im just wondering if there is benefit to being able to eject all at once.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    If I have 642 that is cut for moonclips. Is there any reason not to carry the clips in the gun? I can see how they would bend if carried in a pocket for spares. Im just wondering if there is benefit to being able to eject all at once.
    That’s what I do, the gun is loaded with moon clips and I use a speed loader or speed strips for reloads. Since I don’t have an external hammer J frame cut for clips to make sure they aren’t bent after I load the clip in the cylinder I close it as far as I can without engaging the lockwork and hand turn the cylinder to make sure it turns freely.

Site Supporter
    I've owned M-25s, M-625s, M-325 NGs, and a 325 PD. I carried the NG concealed and plan to do so with the 325 PD when it get home with it's new trigger job. I shot the 25s and 625s in IDPA competition. Moonclips were used and carried (sometimes in a vest pocket), starting in the late 1980s and I never once bent one. But the myth goes on...

Del Fatti Leather makes a pocket protector for Moonclips for those who are convinced they will fold up in your pocket.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-15-2019 at 10:08 AM.

User Tag List