Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal Syntech primers not igniting - anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I guess that is why the M9 trials required such high hammer energy requirements.

Has anyone had issues with 16lb “D” springs?
    Sort of. Probably then related to "submachine gun" primers.

I have wondered about these 11-13 lb springs.
    People shooting Sig Sauers are running on the ragged edge with spring replacement every X number of rounds and the Berettas likely the same way even with styphnate primers.

I had misfires with a 17 lb spring in 1911, 19 is fine, 23 is GI.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

I have wondered about these 11-13 lb springs.
    People shooting Sig Sauers are running on the ragged edge with spring replacement every X number of rounds and the Berettas likely the same way even with styphnate primers.
    Well, I’m pretty sure the 12 lb spring I had in there (that functioned fine for at least 2000 rounds with Syntech, plus more than 2000 rds with WSP primers) isn’t any weaker than on day one. I bought 2 more spare 12 lb springs from LTT several months ago. When I removed the 12 lb spring with 4K+ rounds on it, it was slightly longer (as measured with a micrometer) than my 2 new 12 lb springs. So it hasn’t worn out yet. And it still reliably ignites WSP primers just fine.

Site Supporter
    Update-
    I sent several of the unfired cartridges with deeply dented primers in to Federal (at their request).
    The emailed me yesterday and said that:

“The examiner for the Syntech you returned, stated there were abnormalities with the primers that caused the misfires.”

They then offered to take back the 150 I fired cartridges remaining from that lot, and 1000 other cartridges from another lot, and replace them with new ammunition.

I’ve already fired 150 of the rounds from that second lot. I wanted to verify whether it would be reliable to shooting matches. All 150 rounds worked fine with the 12 pound spring in the 92 LTT Elite.
    So, while I am happy to send back the remaining 150 from the bad lot, I’m reluctant to return rounds from the lot that I’ve already validated, as I will have to test some ammunition from whatever new lot they send me.

So, my conclusion is that I was dealing with a bad lot of ammo (primers). Since that lot had approximately a dozen bad primers in the thousand rounds that I received.

Anyway, I’m a little more willing to try some more, although I’ll test around 150 rounds of any new lot, to try to ensure reliable primer function.

With that in mind, Brownell’s has the 150 gr Syntech on sale. With the codes NFA, NFB, NFC, they’ll take $10/$20/$30 off orders of $100/$175/$250 respectively, with free shipping.
    So, after tax, I got 1500 rds of the 150 gr Syntech for $332.67 - $0.22 a round isn’t bad for this stuff.

User Tag List