Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Syntech primers not igniting - anyone else?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I'm about 200 rounds into my case of syntech ammo. It is going to be going mostly through a 92Elite with Langdon Trigger with 14lb spring and some through a 92C w/ D spring and Wilson Combat hammer. I'll let you know if I have any failures......

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

Bottom line - despite the primer dents, I’m blaming the gun, not the ammo.
    I am probably 25000 rounds, Federal Am Eagle and CCI Lawman, through my CZs with 11 lbs mainsprings and until last weekend never had a light strike. I think my total round count with 150 Syntech is about 1000, 500 awhile back with no issues and 500 from recent lots, with a light strike amidst a stage last Saturday.

I blame ammo.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I also have an LTT Elite with the 12 pound Hammer Spring. I have about 100-150 rounds of the 150 Grain Federal Load, with about 1000-1200 rounds overall through the pistol. I had no stoppages or light strikes with the Federal load (or any other ammunition I have tried), I just found that my Elite didn't care for it accuracy wise. My pistol grouped noticeably better with Hornady Steel Match 125 grain and Atlanta Arms mid-grade 124 grain ammunition. I just moved on with the other 2 loads and saved the Federal 150 grain for my Glocks.

Site Supporter
    So...
    I put the 13 lb spring back into the LTT Elite and went to the range today. Went through 150 rds of Syntech 150 gr, and had 3 failures to ignite. One fired on an immediate DA reattempt. The other 2 had good, deep dents in the primers, but no “bang.”

I wrote a review on the Federal website last week,
    (Here) https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...istol/ae9sjap1

and they emailed me over the weekend. Tomorrow I’ll be packaging the 4 remaining dud rounds (I’ve had a total of 11 in the last lot), and will let them arrange pickup with UPS.

I think I’m going to relegate my remaining 1200 rds to practice, and use the 147 gr load I’ve worked up (and verified PF) for any significant match going forward. The WSP primers I’ve been using have given me exactly 1 failure to ignite on the last 10k rounds. I think I’ll go with a known good performer.

Just went through Area 1 match with this ammo, didn't finish the round count but it is probably in high 400s. No issues. Hopefully, it was just a bad lot.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Just went through Area 1 match with this ammo, didn't finish the round count but it is probably in high 400s. No issues. Hopefully, it was just a bad lot.
    Do you recall the lot number that you had issues with?

Mine ended in V22213

Catalyst primer is an all new unleaded mix, supposedly passing Milspec.
    Sounds like it is not ready for limber spring competition guns.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Yes, that’s what I’m concluding.

Sounds like the perfect primer to put on a round marketed for “Action Pistol” and “The Official Ammunition of USPSA.”
    (sarcasm)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I guess that is why the M9 trials required such high hammer energy requirements.

Has anyone had issues with 16lb “D” springs?

Here is something I noticed about the 150 grain 9mm load. When I put my “regular” 22 rounds into my P10F 140 mm magazines (OEM mag plus CZ Custom baseplate), the 150 grain Syntech bullets apparently have more volume than 115 and 124 ball, and will not function with 22 rounds.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List