Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Syntech primers not igniting - anyone else?

Site Supporter

Federal Syntech primers not igniting - anyone else?

I’ve been using Federal Syntech “Action Pistol” 150 gr for shooting IDPA matches for just over a year now.
    In general, it’s been quite good - nice soft recoil impulse, decent accuracy, and good reliability....

Until the cartridges I’ve used in the last few months. In the last 3 months (less than 500 rounds fired in matches) I’ve had at least 5 primers fail to ignite. The primer has a good dent in it, but no bang (even with multiple strikes - I’m shooting a B92 LTT Elite). It happened twice in a major (Regional, Tier 4) match, and twice in a local match tonight.

I’ve made note of the lot number, and plan to contact Federal tomorrow.

My real question is... is anyone else seeing this? The gun’s run it fine until recently, and still ignites my reloads with WSP primers every time. So I tend to think it’s the ammo, but am wondering if I’m the only one seeing this.

Federal primers are reputed to be so soft, I’m really puzzled.

YVK had a similar experience Saturday.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had posted on this in the New Federal Action Pistol Load thread...seemed to have been limited to that particular case, as I've had no problems since expending that ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    So I was having excellent, consistent experience with the 150 grain Syntech Action Pistol...right until this weekend. Multiple light strikes over two range sessions. Pistol was a Glock 34 with OEM trigger components; to be sure it was the ammo, I detail stripped the slide, gave it a thorough cleaning, and swapped striker springs. Still had the occasional light strike today. Everything lit on a second strike. Improper primer seating seems a likely culprit.

Unfortunately, this is my match ammo. I decided to regulate the current batch to practice only, and opened a different case for this week's match. I inspected the primers as I loaded my magazines, so hopefully there will be no surprises. Federal needs to up their QC game.

This is very disappointing though, considering my previous positive observations with this ammunition to date.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I had posted on this in the New Federal Action Pistol Load thread...seemed to have been limited to that particular case, as I've had no problems since expending that ammunition.
    I don't believe in coincidences like this.
    #RESIST

This is interesting. Aren't the primers that Federal is using in this ammo Lead Free?

I ask because I've not had positive experiences with lead free primer ignition in the past. But by my records I had the most failures to ignite with some Tula lead free primers in 2014. Now I've used at least 10K of Tula standard small pistol primers with absolutely no issues (loved them in fact). I prefer Federal and Winchester primers, but shy away from lead free these days.

Maybe it is just a coincidence. Curious though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    This is interesting. Aren't the primers that Federal is using in this ammo Lead Free?

I ask because I've not had positive experiences with lead free primer ignition in the past. But by my records I had the most failures to ignite with some Tula lead free primers in 2014. Now I've used at least 10K of Tula standard small pistol primers with absolutely no issues (loved them in fact). I prefer Federal and Winchester primers, but shy away from lead free these days.

Maybe it is just a coincidence. Curious though.
    Federal lists "Catalyst lead free primer" in use for that load, here: https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol/ae9sjap1

Not familiar with the "catalyst" primer. The other speer and federal frangible green (lead free) loads run well in striker fired guns. Some manufacturers don't, but will work fine in hammer fired guns.

I'd be curious what the difference is between their Catalyst primer and what has been used in the others. And if they've switched/revised, what problems to expect on green ranges.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    The pistol I’ve been using (B92 LTT Elite) has a 12 lb hammer spring, and has almost 6,000 rounds through it. The firing pin channel has not yet been cleaned.

I’m going to take another B92 with a D spring to the range today and run some Syntech through it to rule light strikes as a possibility (although the primers on the non-firing rounds have good deep dents).

I’ll post my results later.

I typically use Winchester or CCI primers. Lately, I've been seeing an increase in dead primers. Not a huge amount, but a noticeable one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've got about 2,500 rounds of Syntech 115 grain through 3 different guns, most notably a 986 revolver that's been worked on to have a really light trigger pull. No issues with ignition. Shooting local matches, a few people have told me about shooters having notable problems with 150 grain Syntech. I think the primers are the same as the 115 grain stuff. I think a lot more people buy the 150 grain stuff so it's more likely that's where the problem gets reported.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The pistol I’ve been using (B92 LTT Elite) has a 12 lb hammer spring, and has almost 6,000 rounds through it. The firing pin channel has not yet been cleaned.

I’m going to take another B92 with a D spring to the range today and run some Syntech through it to rule light strikes as a possibility (although the primers on the non-firing rounds have good deep dents).

I’ll post my results later.
    Okay- new data points...
    I took my carry gun - (a Langdon-tuned B92 Compact with a D-spring) to the range today. I shot 160 rounds of 150 gr Federal Syntech while vetting my new 15-rd Mec-Gar compact mags. I had no failures to fire.

I also brought 4 of the 6 “dud” rounds I’ve had over the last 3 months. Partway through my practice session, I loaded a mag with all 4 cartridges, and they fired, one after another through the D-spring Compact.

I also put 70 rds through the LTT Elite with the 12 lb spring, and had 2 primer failures (one SA, one DA). They both fired on subsequent SA attempts (but did not fire on immediate DA “second strikes.”)

So- I’m looking at some issue with the LTT Elite. Either the 12 lb spring is too light, or I’ve got gunk in the firing pin channel. I suspect it’s a combination of the two.
    The LTT Elite went through about 3,000 uneventful rounds this year with the 12 lb spring (including at least 1000 150 gr Syntech). The issues have all been in the last 2000 rds.

So... short term, I’m going to swap the original 13 lb spring back into the LTT Elite. Over the next few weeks, I’m going to learn how to detail strip the slide, clean the firing pin channel, and probably replace any “while I’m in there” items (firing pin spring... anything else...?).

My goal is to have a reliable, vetted gun for the state IDPA match on Labor Day weekend.

Bottom line - despite the primer dents, I’m blaming the gun, not the ammo.
    The LTT Elite had 2 failures in each of the last 2 70 rd sessions.
    The Compact with the D-spring had none in 160 rounds.
    Same ammo lot.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 06-10-2019 at 11:48 PM.

User Tag List