Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J-frame Shootability

J frames are pretty easy to shoot with full size handles on them but you may as well carry a K frame. There is a reason they are called belly guns, hard to hit with if range is over 10 yards.

Another member here has been doing a cool job of cutting of the Hogue at the bottom of the second finger groove, but I cannot find a post. It also looks like they might be available in hard nylon now?
    Name:  Hogue.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  42.8 KB

ETA: I found a link...
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post889318
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-10-2019 at 10:57 AM.

J-frame Shootability

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    I had the same problem except my trigger finger hit my thumb unless i shot thumb up along the cylinder.
    These Taurus boot grips solved the problem.
    Available direct from Taurus. Part # 5-20880. Cheap.
    They do not compromise pocket carry. Attachment 38877
    For $9? Yes, please I’ll give that a go! I believe I just shot a Taurus snubbie with these same grips on them this past weekend. If they are indeed the same grips then it’ll be a world of difference in how that gun handles compared to the Altamont grips I have on it now.

They’re nowhere near as pretty, but if I can practically shoot the bloody thing all day with those grips, then I’ll be far more apt to practice with it, practice more with it, and won’t be nearly as distracted if I ever have to actually use it.

https://www.shoptaurus.com/85-731-60...r-grip-5-20880

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spinmove_; 06-10-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Best? I have no idea. Workable: Ceramic rod, from a knife-sharpener, or a sharpening stone. IIRC, I have used both. This does, of course, require removing the trigger from the frame.

Edited to add: I only needed to break the sharp edge of the corner, a bit, not radically re-profile. Removing the sharp edge keeps the trigger from getting a “bite” into the skin, allowing the skin to slide out of the way.
    I have a ton of ceramic rods...good idea. (I also have a neighbor who's a gunsmith. LOL! Fallback position.)

It's one of those things that I've noticed but which never bothered me enough to do something about in the past...but would like much better once accomplished.

Thanks, Rex. Appreciate it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

@spinmove_ those are the one. I have them on both my J frames.

Ergo Deltas made my J frames truly shootable for the first time in 30+ years.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Michpatriot

What's the best, least obtrusive technique? Sandpaper wrapped on a dowel? Grit recommendation? I don't think I'd trust myself with a Dremel.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the pinch, but hadn't given thought previously to messing with the trigger.
    When I do the trigger work I remove it and work first with dremel then stone then paper...rounding the corners whilst still in the frame would be dicey.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    I had the same problem except my trigger finger hit my thumb unless i shot thumb up along the cylinder.
    These Taurus boot grips solved the problem.
    Available direct from Taurus. Part # 5-20880. Cheap.
    They do not compromise pocket carry. Attachment 38877
    I think the Taurus grips actually look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    The J’s can be too small for some folks without putting giant grips on them. At that point as Dave T pointed out, it loses a lot of the positives. At that point, going to maybe a Colt Agent or Cobra or a S&W Model 12 May be a solid move. Also, VZ just came out with a full wrap grip that should be a help for the J frames.
    The full wrap grip does look nice from them, but it looks like it’s got half a pinkie ledge that might make pocket carry troublesome. Thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    See http://www.t-grips.com

The old Tyler T grips. They work.

User Tag List