Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J-frame Shootability

Site Supporter

J-frame Shootability

After watching all 3-1/2 hrs of the snubby thread I have a question for all you experts and 2", 5-shot aficionados. I have large hands and thick fingers. Ever since I was a young deputy right out of the academy (1973) and the proud owner of a brand new M-60, I have had problems managing the trigger. Never found a grip that fit and consequently I always had too much finger on the trigger. My finger tip would contact back of the trigger guard before I reached sear break once or twice per cylinder. Trying to practice with the thing I had any number of failures to fire simply because I couldn't complete the trigger stroke.

And yes, I tried larger grips to move my hand further back. They almost completely nullified the concealablity of the J-frame. For pocket carry I don't see any examples with large grips.

How do you guys with large hands manage these things when pocket carried? Inquiring minds want to know. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-09-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Name:  M&P340 & 640Pro left quarter.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  66.1 KB

That 640 pro is wearing a Nill grip. Might give you some extra girth with a good high grip. Ain't cheap....

https://www.mactecsales.com/SW2098_p/sw2098.htm
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-10-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Trigger pinch

One quick little trick is to round off the sharp corners on the backside of the trigger where it tends to pinch the finger at its rear most travel.

The problem that I have with just about every j-frame boot grip is that none of them cover the backstrap and fill that natural gap between the tang and the web of your hand. If I get something that fills that gap, it’s now longer than a boot grip and therefore useless for pocket carry.

I probably just need to suck it up and save for the Crimson Trace boot grip that does both AND has a laser built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    One quick little trick is to round off the sharp corners on the backside of the trigger where it tends to pinch the finger at its rear most travel.
    @Michpatriot

What's the best, least obtrusive technique? Sandpaper wrapped on a dowel? Grit recommendation? I don't think I'd trust myself with a Dremel.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the pinch, but hadn't given thought previously to messing with the trigger.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Name:  M&P340 & 640Pro left quarter.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  66.1 KB

That 640 pro is wearing a Nill grip. Might give you some extra girth with a good high grip. Ain't cheap....

https://www.mactecsales.com/SW2098_p/sw2098.htm
    Still cheaper than trying to buy Spegel Centennial grips aftermarket.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The problem that I have with just about every j-frame boot grip is that none of them cover the backstrap and fill that natural gap between the tang and the web of your hand. If I get something that fills that gap, it’s now longer than a boot grip and therefore useless for pocket carry.

I probably just need to suck it up and save for the Crimson Trace boot grip that does both AND has a laser built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My sentiments exactly! A boot grip that covers the backstrap is what I need. A Taurus grip has been mentioned as an option...it certainly looks like what I am looking for. The Crimson Trace looks to fill the need as well.

The J’s can be too small for some folks without putting giant grips on them. At that point as Dave T pointed out, it loses a lot of the positives. At that point, going to maybe a Colt Agent or Cobra or a S&W Model 12 May be a solid move. Also, VZ just came out with a full wrap grip that should be a help for the J frames.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    After watching all 3-1/2 hrs of the snubby thread I have a question for all you experts and 2", 5-shot aficionados. I have large hands and thick fingers. Ever since I was a young deputy right out of the academy (1973) and the proud owner of a brand new M-60, I have had problems managing the trigger. Never found a grip that fit and consequently I always had too much finger on the trigger. My finger tip would contact back of the trigger guard before I reached sear break once or twice per cylinder. Trying to practice with the thing I had any number of failures to fire simply because I couldn't complete the trigger stroke.

And yes, I tried larger grips to move my hand further back. They almost completely nullified the concealablity of the J-frame. For pocket carry I don't see any examples with large grips.

How do you guys with large hands manage these things when pocket carried? Inquiring minds want to know. (smile)

Dave
    I had the same problem except my trigger finger hit my thumb unless i shot thumb up along the cylinder.
    These Taurus boot grips solved the problem.
    Available direct from Taurus. Part # 5-20880. Cheap.
    They do not compromise pocket carry. Name:  442-taraus.JPG
Views: 936
Size:  88.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Michpatriot

What's the best, least obtrusive technique? Sandpaper wrapped on a dowel? Grit recommendation? I don't think I'd trust myself with a Dremel.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the pinch, but hadn't given thought previously to messing with the trigger.
    Best? I have no idea. Workable: Ceramic rod, from a knife-sharpener, or a sharpening stone. IIRC, I have used both. This does, of course, require removing the trigger from the frame.

Edited to add: I only needed to break the sharp edge of the corner, a bit, not radically re-profile. Removing the sharp edge keeps the trigger from getting a “bite” into the skin, allowing the skin to slide out of the way.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List