Thread: Front sight mod?

Front sight mod?

Guys, I have seen some front sights with a thin yellow or gold inlay vertical line in the center of the front sight. I think these are custom mods. Who does this, what is the inlay, or is it paint or polymer dayglo etc. A few have been white, some yellow and some look like gold.

Thanks for your insight,
    Dave

IIRC Elmer Keith used to advocate a horizontal gold line in the front sight blade. Or have I misunderstood all these years?
    Last edited by Drang; 06-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Guys, I have seen some front sights with a thin yellow or gold inlay vertical line in the center of the front sight. I think these are custom mods. Who does this, what is the inlay, or is it paint or polymer dayglo etc. A few have been white, some yellow and some look like gold.
    Memories.

There's not much you can do to pimp up a J-Frame, but I think it was back in the early 1970s when I had one of the early stainless models, and I very much wanted to try the best I could. Trigger job and stippled back strap from Ron Power. Smooth open-back Herrett grips of the second-best circassian walnut. Vertical gold inlay in the front sight. Pachmayr's, who was still around then, did the inlay. Although my partner tried very hard to encourage me to matt the stainless frame and high-polish the cylinder and screws, I resisted. At some point one's sense of the appropriate rebels. But that didn't stop my partner, who remembered every discussion we had and then further embellished what he thought he heard. Eventually the story expanded until even I was entertained, primarily because I no longer recognized my own part. Over the years the bastard earned a lot of free drinks.

Good times.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 06-09-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Years ago I was having a hard time seeing or picking up the stainless front sight on a 681 Smith. Guy I knew who was semi retired from gunsmithing milled a verticle groove down the center of the poorly designed factory front sight. I filled it with white model plane paint, then covered that with a hard clear coating. It worked quite well and lasted much longer than painting the whole rear blade which started wearing off on the top and edges from working out of a holster.

I question how much the gold inlay actually shows up unless the sun is shining over your shooting shoulder. The white line showed up in most all lighting, even as the sun was going down. YMMV.

Dave

Here is a Keith style long range front sight, on my 45 Colt Nimrod made by Hamilton Bowen. When I ordered it I just asked Bowen to make it look like the picture in his book, and he delivered:

Here’s the whole gun:

The gold bars show up well in everything but very low light.
    Last edited by oregon45; 06-09-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Hizzie, thats exactly what I was lookin for! That Keith sight is intriguing.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Hizzie, thats exactly what I was lookin for! That Keith sight is intriguing.

Dave
    I believe it was just another high visibility method like gold beads. I think it’s carryover from the sights on “dangerous game rifles” intended for Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

IIRC, the horizontal lines were for holdovers for long range shooting.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    IIRC, the horizontal lines were for holdovers for long range shooting.
    Correct.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List