Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come the detent is not locking in automatically?

How come the detent is not locking in automatically?

The ball detent on my new m66 seems to be stuck. It will pop forward towards the muzzle with a tiny bit of pressure but when I open the cylinder it gets pushed back and then when I close the cylinder it's stay back.

#RESIST

Site Supporter

How come the detent is not locking in automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The ball detent on my new m66 seems to be stuck. It will pop forward towards the muzzle with a tiny bit of pressure but when I open the cylinder it gets pushed back and then when I close the cylinder it's stay back.
    I hope I’m understanding the problem.

The ball detent is designed to be off set from the center of the notch in the barrel. The ideal is the detent by being off set will provide constant pressure toward the frame to keep the cylinder closed. That’s why the detent doesn’t look like it is all the way out when the cylinder is closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by serialsolver; 06-09-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Locking bolt

You could have a little burr internally that is keeping the locking bolt from returning smoothly, or the locking lug at the front in the barrel shroud may have a little grit or machining burr, i guess maybe even a really bent ejector rod would do it but you would probably not miss that if it was bent that bad. Depending on your comfort level, if it was me Id open it up and check the locking bolt and spring\ plunger and look at the surfaces it rides on. But some might not agree with opening a new revolver.

Locking bolt

I first read your post wrong and now my previous ideas are up in smoke..not sure maybe the extent is drilled wrong?

Name:  KIMG1311.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  26.6 KB
    With just a tiny bit of pressure it pops in.
    Name:  KIMG1312.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  14.5 KB

I don't have any experience with S&W's new ball-detent system, but the frame-mounted yoke locking system on my Dan Wesson revolvers were susceptible to fouling over time. Have you tried flushing the detent with cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Anything that requires tools or mechanical ability is not a subject you want my input on....which is why I have long expensive friendships with my gunsmiths.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I don't have any experience with S&W's new ball-detent system, but the frame-mounted yoke locking system on my Dan Wesson revolvers were susceptible to fouling over time. Have you tried flushing the detent with cleaner?
    Just aerosol rem oil. I'll grab some nonchlorinated break cleaner and try it.

While dryfiring it pops in after the second trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Anything that requires tools or mechanical ability is not a subject you want my input on....which is why I have long expensive friendships with my gunsmiths.
    Maybe someday I'll learn.

User Tag List