Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I知 a sucker for waxed canvas

Waxed fabric is heavy, durable, flamable and rubs off on cloth seats etc...

Waxed fabric is great for rough outdoor work in cool- cold damp weather. Logging etc..., that would shred or stain Goretex.

I've used Barbour and Filson waxes and I don't have a preference. Or if I did, it would probably be Barbour. But I'd use either.

This is a DIY project, in my mind. My one experience with a jacket being sent back for a factory rewax was not great, as they were not as scrupulous about avoiding waxing the lining, etc., as i would have been.

Given how long waxed cotton has been in use, I'd bet 100% beeswax was the original wax used. If you have any honey producers around you they usually sell beeswax in bricks at good prices.

I make my own bullet lube for cast bullets so every few years I restock.
    Don稚 blame me. I didn稚 vote for that dumb bastard.

Beeswax was always a bear to work into fabric, it needs to be mixed to spread more easily.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Given how long waxed cotton has been in use, I'd bet 100% beeswax was the original wax used.
    I've read about people using Sno-Seal on canvas which is beeswax based and pretty inexpensive.

While it's not a chest bag, there's some info on SSD that indicates Mystery Ranch will be offering the Assault 21 in waxed canvas soon.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/06/19...in-waxed-wood/

User Tag List