Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I’m a sucker for waxed canvas

I’m a sucker for waxed canvas

I was looking for a chest bag from Hill People and stumbled upon this. Purty. I assume you’d need to re-wax it periodically? I’ve got a sacred (it was my brother’s) waxed canvas Browning hat, it’s much lighter than the new ones, I figure that I need to wax it as well?

Recommendations on a chest pack welcome.

Name:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  43.0 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I was looking for a chest bag from Hill People and stumbled upon this. Purty. I assume you’d need to re-wax it periodically? I’ve got a sacred (it was my brother’s) waxed canvas Browning hat, it’s much lighter than the new ones, I figure that I need to wax it as well?

Recommendations on a chest pack welcome.

Name:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  43.0 KB
    I had a waxed vest i wore for years and somehow its been misplaced. I never had to wax it in all the time I had it and it was worn a lot. If you ever get a waxed jacket make sure its got ventilation and lined . Sorry Ive got nothing on the pack but anything waxed is a good purchase. There are plenty of vids online about waxing even taking non waxed items and waxing them.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Can't help on a chest pack but I have a few waxed pieces from Filson. Love the stuff! My bird bag vest and chaps were daily wear when I guided pheasant hunts. Cleaned and waxed once a year after the season and still going strong well over a decade later.

I'm on the HPG notification list for a waxed canvas attaché. I also have a Filson bush hat that I had to re-wax, it wasn't difficult. That Tara pack is tempting too.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Can't help on a chest pack but I have a few waxed pieces from Filson. Love the stuff! My bird bag vest and chaps were daily wear when I guided pheasant hunts. Cleaned and waxed once a year after the season and still going strong well over a decade later.
    What wax did you use?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What wax did you use?
    Filson wax.

Grey Ghost Gear makes a few different waxed canvas bags, including a 3 Day assault-type pack.

I just learned of the existance of waxed canvas HPGs kit bags. I'm quite interested hearing experiences with them.

I have a waxed canvas coat I use as a chore coat here at the house. I don't recommend waxed canvas for backcountry use, but it is nice for when I'm out in the winter dealing with firewood and such as it's more durable than some of the technical outdoor fabrics. I hit mine with Otter Wax and a hair dryer every fall and that seems to work well.

As an aside, on the more bushcrafty forums, advocating for one product or another to "properly" wax a canvas garment is like starting a caliber war thread on Glocktalk.

I have a HPG Heavy Recon Kit Bag I'm quite fond of.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I don’t know about hpg but Filson waxed cotton is not preshrunk, so neglecting it for about 8 years and then getting it soaked through is no good. And no I didn’t just get fatter and accuse my jacket of shrinking.

I prefer the Barbour brand wax. I don’t think it’s any different from Filson, other than it comes in a small paint can and the wax is easily melted in hot water and can be applied a more thinly. Hit high wear areas every year and the whole thing every few years.

Waxed cotton will seep oil so things like waxed cotton hanging in closet and touching a wool sport coat, will ruin the coat in a few months.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I don’t know about hpg but Filson waxed cotton is not preshrunk, so neglecting it for about 8 years and then getting it soaked through is no good. And no I didn’t just get fatter and accuse my jacket of shrinking.

I prefer the Barbour brand wax. I don’t think it’s any different from Filson, other than it comes in a small paint can and the wax is easily melted in hot water and can be applied a more thinly. Hit high wear areas every year and the whole thing every few years.

Waxed cotton will seep oil so things like waxed cotton hanging in closet and touching a wool sport coat, will ruin the coat in a few months.
    An Amazon search for Filson wax shows that I should probably...find a cheaper brand of wax, suggestions welcome
    #RESIST

User Tag List