Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My gun store is bigger than yours

My gun store is bigger than yours

.....is what I imagine the residents of Smyrna, Georgia can comfortably brag to most people. I have just been in Atlanta for my first Blade Show, and after seven hours of Blade Show yesterday, my friend and I decided to check out Adventure Outdoors having read online their claim to be “the biggest” One of the sale clerks claimed an approximate inventory of 15,000 firearms. He also said that days goal was to sell 190 guns.

I don’t subscribe to the bigger is better philosophy, but like you all, I like guns and if I’m in a city that claims to have “the biggest” gun store, by God, I think it’s my civic duty to check it out

My impressions were that the place felt a bit overwhelming, no easy way to identify the guns in front of you (racks and racks of just about every rifle and shotgun you could imagine, around 3/4 of the perimeter of a space I would describe as akin to a large grocery store, hemmed in by a similar proportion of glass display cabinets STUFFED with handguns). If you knew what you wanted, I imagine there would be a good chance they’d have it. If you didn’t, or were a first time buyer, I think the format would be very challenging.

Love to hear impressions of this place from those who’ve been (if it is the biggest) or know of it. Are there other store with that kind of inventory? After writing this, I’m sort of hoping we can compile a list of some of the best ( it necessarily the biggest) gun stores in the States.

Sorry for not posting pictures, but here’s a link:

https://adventureoutdoors.us/

In the fall I'm going to visit my buddy that moved to Atlanta last year. Hopefully I get a chance to check this shop out...

Sounds like Mega Sports here in the Chicago area.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

When I lived in metro Atlanta in the 1990s and 2000s, I went to Adventure Outdoors, both the original smaller store next to the same company's police supply store on Windy Hill and the current facility on South Cobb Drive. The current store is the second store on South Cobb Drive; it indeed once was a grocery store. The original location on South Cobb Drive was on the east side of the road, just north of Windy Hill. It is now the same company's Smyrna Police Distributors. I remember being there in late December of 1999, the eve of Y2K, and everything was selling. I bought a few guns there when I lived in metro Atlanta.

It reminded me of a larger version of Guns Galore in Fenton, MI. That store was one of my favorites when I lived in metro Detroit in the early 1990s.

We stop in there sometimes when we’re in town. Pretty decent prices and a huge selection. We were actually just there on Friday and picked up some Federal bulk pack .22LR.

Also, the size could be a little overwhelming but IMVHO it’s a much more friendly and welcoming environment for new shooters and others who don’t fit the traditional gun owner demographics. It’s well-lit, the staff is friendly and not universally middle-aged white male, and it’s a lot more like shopping in a “regular store” instead of the dark pawnshop atmosphere so many gun stores seem to operate.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Fifty plus years ago when I was attending Georgia Tech, the class act was Dean's.
    They had a wide selection and a real gunsmithing shop; I was amazed to see the showcase of bolt actions in the white, barrel blanks, and walnut to be built into real custom sporting rifles.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    They have a (legal) gun store in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Where do you get your information? Glocktalk? Jesus.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    The Chicago "area" is much more expansive than Chicago, one suburb ends where another one begins.

Where do you get your information? Glocktalk? Jesus.
    Wo wo no reason to be insulting. I would never accuse a stranger of owning a Glock.

In other states we don't have FOID cards etc. Hence my question.

User Tag List