Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick a fixed power rimfire scope for my 10/22

If you are going to use a regular (parallax set for about 150 yards), the scope does not have an adjustable objective, and the shooting distances are fifty yards or less, I would suggest manually adjusting parallax. It is not difficult.

I am a huge fan of buying used (as they are out of production) examples of the Leupold M8-series of fixed-power scopes. I suggest hunting samplelist.com, eBay, and the EE on AR15.com for these. $100 for a M8-4X is my usual threshold; the 2.5X and 3X are rarer and may command a price premium. Being patient but persistent is key to finding s good deal. Even if the scope has a functional, not aesthetic, issue, Leupold will fix or replace it for free. That fact makes buying a used Leupold risk-free. It may not perform as well as new scope, but for a .22, at short range with live targets, it is more than sufficient.

I bought my last one for $100 delivered with rings: https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipmen.../163-1881588/?

Something like this may be of interest: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-M8-...x&LH_Auction=1 The current bid is $110.50 and includes rings and shipping.

SWFA and the Leupold Custom Shop did a run of a modernized version a few years back. I have not run across any of them for a year or so.

The old Montgomery Ward single shot .22 that rode behind the seat of my grandfather's truck for years came to me with a rusty, pitted exterior and a busted-off front sight. A 3x turkey scope found at an LGS or big box store at the time fit on the .22 receiver rail, and worked well enough to teach a couple of the kids how to shoot. My oldest son now has the rifle, and AFAIK the scope is still going strong.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, it’s not fixed power but this Leupold 2-7x is what I have and it’s a known good.
    So, I went to the sporting goods place down the way to have a look-see at (and through) some scopes in person, neophyte that I am. Out of a number of good contenders, I ended up coming away with a Leupold freedom 2-7x 33mm just like LL said. So hat tip to the new overlord.

I love it when my picks line up independently with people who actually know what they’re talking about. Pretty much kills any buyer’s remorse in the egg.

I’ll mount this thing tonight.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

OK, I think I had best come back here, hat in hand and ask for some more advice, rifle novice that I am.

Back in the dark ages, when I was a sprout, we'd mount scopes by just throwing the things on there, hillbillies that we were, and go sight them in for deer season, or whatever. Figuring that tech and knowledge may have advanced a little since then, I hit youtube to check out "how to mount a scope." Clearly, there are many different tiers of detail on this; from rednecks who obviously grew up in the same era I did, up to pros who use levels and torque release drivers... Man... Larry Potterfield... I get that he sells all this kit for a splendid living, but by the time I got past the alignment bars and matched twin level set, and past all the work with a lapping bar and lapping compound on the rings, I figured I'd be better off turning down youtube, and dialing this place up.

So, bottom line: find a pro to install the scope and rings, or can I just mount this thing old school, like it's a Crossman 760 pump or something? It's the Leupold 2-7, above (with aluminum rings) and my 10/22 takedown.

Thoughts?

@LittleLebowski
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

No need to lap. A torque driver is recommended to avoid stripping aluminum rings.

Not an expert, but I think the answer is to some extent 'it depends'.

For example, think about an old milsurp bolt gun with two piece bases. They weren't built with mounting scopes in mind, and the two mounting surfaces may not be very parallel, so the rings may not be parallel (I've seen ones that were way off). That might call for lapping. With a one piece rail on a modern rifle, or something like an AR where the rail is integral, the rings shouldn't be pointing in odd directions.

Other considerations would be how severe the recoil is (because less than 100% contact might make it easier for the scope to slip) and the quality of the rings (those $10 no name rings might not have bore and mounting surface parallel), etc.

Brownell's et al sell some rods to check alignment - just a pair of 1 inch (30mm, ...) rods with one end turned to a point. You mount one rod in each ring, points toward each other, and see whether the points align. If they do, I don't lap. I have a lathe, so I just made a set out of scrap.

I'm anal-retentive enough to use torque drivers, but I don't think it's crazy not to. If you overtorque you buy new rings, if you undertorque the scope moves. For a 10/22, probably no one dies if either of those happens :-).
    Last edited by whomever; 06-20-2019 at 10:30 AM.

I appreciate the input, folks. Sounds about the way I thought.

I use feeler gauges between the scope bottom and the rail to level the scope.

User Tag List