Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Mid-Range 44 Mag Load

Site Supporter
    I've killed a Texas whitetail stone dead with one shot from one of my Glock 19s. If it won't work on a whitetail, it sure won't work on a turd. My favorite deer pistol is a S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP. It has taken many whitetails for me with the Federal 230 HST +P load and a .45 Auto Rim load with a 250 Keith and 6.5 Unique. I'd bet that Buffalo Bore .44 Special load would be just the ticket for your deer there.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I have long held that for most things people use .44 Magnums for, a .44 Extra Special load of a 240 to 250 grain bullet going 950 to 1150 FPS would work just as well, if not better.

You can shoot through horse from end to end with that load.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have long held that for most things people use .44 Magnums for, a .44 Extra Special load of a 240 to 250 grain bullet going 950 to 1150 FPS would work just as well, if not better.

You can shoot through horse from end to end with that load.
    For years, I've used just such a load on all kinds of four legged critters. It's never failed me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    The same logic applies to 45-70 loads. In a Marlin lever gun I would load maximum loads that kicked brutally. Lesser loads would go through the same hog from one end to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've killed a Texas whitetail stone dead with one shot from one of my Glock 19s. If it won't work on a whitetail, it sure won't work on a turd. My favorite deer pistol is a S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP. It has taken many whitetails for me with the Federal 230 HST +P load and a .45 Auto Rim load with a 250 Keith and 6.5 Unique. I'd bet that Buffalo Bore .44 Special load would be just the ticket for your deer there.
    For about 10 years I had nuisance permits to shoot deer at a local nursery. I would get a few per month, once 3 in a morning. From a hundred pounds to 200. 9mms worked but I decided I wouldn't hunt with them if I had a choice, same with 556. They worked fine when I could take my time and pass on shots.

My .45 colts loaded with 255 grain swc over 18gr 2400 from my 4"Redhawk, 4 5/8 blackhawk, and 16" m92 dropped deer faster than anything smaller than a 12 gauge. Including .30-06, 270s, 308s etc. Ranges were close but they just dropped deer so well. I used xtps too but they didn't always expand.

Before I started to use that load I used Buffalo bore's 250 swc at 1000fps to good effect.

03RN:

That is muy interesting. Were you taking shoulder shots or shooting behind the shoulder (meat saver shot) or was it just whatever presented itself?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    For about 10 years I had nuisance permits to shoot deer at a local nursery. I would get a few per month, once 3 in a morning. From a hundred pounds to 200. 9mms worked but I decided I wouldn't hunt with them if I had a choice, same with 556. They worked fine when I could take my time and pass on shots.

My .45 colts loaded with 255 grain swc over 18gr 2400 from my 4"Redhawk, 4 5/8 blackhawk, and 16" m92 dropped deer faster than anything smaller than a 12 gauge. Including .30-06, 270s, 308s etc. Ranges were close but they just dropped deer so well. I used xtps too but they didn't always expand.

Before I started to use that load I used Buffalo bore's 250 swc at 1000fps to good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by CTX44 View Post
    03RN:

That is muy interesting. Were you taking shoulder shots or shooting behind the shoulder (meat saver shot) or was it just whatever presented itself?
    Iirc I took a few shoulder shots with the 9mm but it lead to a lot of long trails. If I was to use 9mm I'd either go for a text book behind the shoulder shot or a neck shot if I felt I could.

The .45 Colt knocks them down even faster with a shoulder shots. A few I thought I spined them.

.45 auto was in between when gold dots were used and iirc were kept inside by the hide.
    Last edited by 03RN; 06-21-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Georgia Arms makes a new production 44 mag load with a 240 fmj flat point at 1,000 fps. That might fit the bill for you. i bought some for a 329PD I used to have, and they are quite mild and very managable. A bit more than 44 special, but much softer shooting that any other magnum I have tried.

Thanks to all who replied. A few days ago, I picked up a box of HSM's 200-grain cowboy load (975 fps) and one of their 240-grain SWC (1,150 fps.).

The cowboy load grouped into 11.5” at 50 yards, so it's a no go. The 240-grain load grouped into 2.75” at 25 yards and 6.5” at 50, with five shots in 4.125”. Looks like I’ve got the load I need.

Thanks again,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List