Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What bulk 9mm for Glocks?

Site Supporter
    I recently switched from bayou to Brazos. I really liked the bayou 147 FP but I like saving on sales tax even more and Brazos 145 RN does a decent job. So I would recommend either of those for 124s.

I'm becoming a big fan of rimrock bullets. Buffalo bore uses them and I'm about 7,200 bullets in for my .357 and .38s.

I'd try these for my 9s
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/9mm...ls-tab-reviews

I've had good luck with these:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bull...round-bullets/

RMR has several other styles, too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Another vote for RMR. I've been using their 124 grain truncated cone bullets for a while with complete satisfaction. I load either 4.0 Titegroup or 4.2 VV N320.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Have you guys done an accuracy comparison vs. Montana Gold with these? I don't love MG pricing, but their consistency and accuracy is friggin' amazing, which is why I'm loathe to switch. That said, the price on the RMR bullet is right....

Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    Have you guys done an accuracy comparison vs. Montana Gold with these? I don't love MG pricing, but their consistency and accuracy is friggin' amazing, which is why I'm loathe to switch. That said, the price on the RMR bullet is right....
    What kind of accuracy do you expect?

If you're just doing bulk, cheap reloads to get gooder at USPSA and aren't shooting an open gun, forget the Montana Golds.

If you loading match ammo, I totally get it: A solid, jacketed bullet cuts down on the smoke, runs cleaner, etc.

If you're loading for PPC, Bianchi, etc. then a super consistent MG or Hornady HAP is the ticket.

Regarding accuracy testing: I tried to shoot Bianchi Cup (Loved the shooting, hated the format. NRA doesn't know how to run a match for shit...) and since I was sponsored by Wilson Combat and SNS Casting at the time, spent some time working up a load for my Beretta BrigTac.

I can shoot PPC alright and enjoyed getting back after the accuracy bit.

http://instagram.com/p/BTZheuHAL8q/

Some 50 yard work (off bags) with some SNS 125FP's and 5.1gr Silhouette. It's a revolver bullet, but it seems to be accurate enough in the Beretta 92 when sized to .357". I may run the bullets out a bit longer, but I think this is about as good as it is going to get for shooting Bianchi Cup this year... That's a just sub 6" group with a stock Beretta barrel and a tuned Wilson trigger and some USPSA sights.
    I had some bad experiences too - it depends on your gun, the powder, etc.

http://instagram.com/p/BTenlj6Atmw/

I recall Bruce Gray shooting cast lead FP 124's with Titegroup (HOLY SMOKES! Pun intended) and getting ~2" groups at 25. No bags. No supports... So, it is out there, you just have to put the components together "right".

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    What kind of accuracy do you expect?
    2-3" at 25 yards works for me. I do everything from IDPA to bullseye type shooting and I don't want to switch ammo back and forth, it is just too much annoyance for me. That's why I've usually just gotten the MGs, but if I can either shoot the same for cheaper or shoot more for the same, obvs I'm going to try for that. I ordered 100 of the RMRs to do a comparo. (And ordering just 100 ain't cheap, but if they run well then 3k pays me back for the experiment.)

2-3" at 25 yards works for me. I do everything from IDPA to bullseye type shooting and I don't want to switch ammo back and forth, it is just too much annoyance for me. That's why I've usually just gotten the MGs, but if I can either shoot the same for cheaper or shoot more for the same, obvs I'm going to try for that. I ordered 100 of the RMRs to do a comparo. (And ordering just 100 ain't cheap, but if they run well then 3k pays me back for the experiment.)
    I think comparing MG's with the RMR's you're going to find a similar level of performance...

The coated bullets (Bayou, SNS, Gallant, Blue Bullets, Acme, etc...) all perform similarly and generally cost ~30-40 dollars cheaper than what you'd pay for jacketed bullets (by the 1000). Some companies have profile/weight characteristics that some folks like (e.g. 160gr PCC bullets from SNS vs 124gr Lube-groove bullets from Bayou), but it mostly boils down to people ordering from the folks they've established relationships with.
    (I've had a long time relationship with the Stinar's of SNS - they give back a lot to the shooting sports and are good folks. They were a good sponsor to me...)

The biggest issue associated with coated bullets is the smoke: It depends on the powder a lot of the time, but generally, they all smoke. Shooting into the rising sun at the Frostproof with coated bullets is a real inconvenience...

If you want cheap & good enough, check out some of the coated bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I think comparing MG's with the RMR's you're going to find a similar level of performance...

The coated bullets (Bayou, SNS, Gallant, Blue Bullets, Acme, etc...) all perform similarly and generally cost ~30-40 dollars cheaper than what you'd pay for jacketed bullets (by the 1000). Some companies have profile/weight characteristics that some folks like (e.g. 160gr PCC bullets from SNS vs 124gr Lube-groove bullets from Bayou), but it mostly boils down to people ordering from the folks they've established relationships with.
    (I've had a long time relationship with the Stinar's of SNS - they give back a lot to the shooting sports and are good folks. They were a good sponsor to me...)

The biggest issue associated with coated bullets is the smoke: It depends on the powder a lot of the time, but generally, they all smoke. Shooting into the rising sun at the Frostproof with coated bullets is a real inconvenience...

If you want cheap & good enough, check out some of the coated bullets.
    The smoke factor keeps me away from the coated ones. I've tried them before, but with Titegroup and coateds I feel like I'm shooting an old west 6 gun. That's why I'm just trying to find a jacketed bullet that is reasonably accurate, reasonably priced, etc. RMRs may be the ticket, I'll load some when I get them and compare vs. my MG load to see what they look like. I'll post some results when I get them.

Site Supporter
    The smoke factor keeps me away from the coated ones. I've tried them before, but with Titegroup and coateds I feel like I'm shooting an old west 6 gun. That's why I'm just trying to find a jacketed bullet that is reasonably accurate, reasonably priced, etc. RMRs may be the ticket, I'll load some when I get them and compare vs. my MG load to see what they look like. I'll post some results when I get them.
    Running titegroup with coated bullets is extremely smokey. Sometimes a different powder is less so. 2-3inch groups at 25 yards should not be terribly difficult with coated bullets though. Assuming your gun is up to the task.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 07-02-2019 at 11:22 AM.

User Tag List