Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self timing muzzle brake with the least amount of rearward blast?

Self timing muzzle brake with the least amount of rearward blast?

I am looking for a self-timing muzzle brake for a 7mm Mag. Looking for experience-based input on reliable options with the least amount of rearward blast, even at the expense of some recoil reduction. Any good .30 caliber brake threaded 5/8-24 should do. Barrel diameter should be around .700" to .750".

I have had an APA MicroBastard. It worked well, but it kept coming loose. The instructions said hand tight is good enough, but that didn't work for me. I even cranked it down a little with a tool and it still came loose. Maybe their larger models are different?

Recommendations?

No want for a can?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    No want for a can?
    That's the way to go. Breaks are getting the evil eye these days. Just my buddy, he acquired scratched corneas thanks to a nearby break.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    No want for a can?
    It’s in the tank right now. Guessing October. Plenty of time to be shooting 1000 yards between now and then.

Site Supporter
    I use an Area 419 Hellfire on my 6.5 Creedmoor. It is very effective break and the self timing feature works very well. I can remove it and reinstall with no issues. It is no doubt loud through.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    That's the way to go. Breaks are getting the evil eye these days. Just my buddy, he acquired scratched corneas thanks to a nearby break.
    Damn.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Good grief! How close was the other guy to him and what was he shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Good grief! How close was the other guy to him and what was he shooting?
    This occurred in a carbine class. Apparently participants were spaced too closely. If I remember correctly the AR that caused the damage had an AK muzzle break. Shooters were prone and my buddy was wearing shooting glasses. However the muzzle blast directed back and to the side kicked up sand/debris did damage to his eyes.

Word to the wise. If you are shooting in a class make sure the spacing is adequate and watch out for anyone with a muzzle break near you.

That's why I don't want one ported to the rear. The Hellfire is a very nice brake, I shot a .308 with one today. It's porting directs gasses back, so it is out for me.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 06-08-2019 at 10:31 PM.

I ended up getting a generic Holland knock-off. Hope it works okay because I just saw a report of a guy that had his Form 4 take one year and one week to clear. I hope that’s the exception and not the rule...

The brake I got wasn’t self timing, but it was easy enough to shave a few thousandths off of the back of the crush washer to time it.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 06-15-2019 at 10:12 AM.

User Tag List