Thread: Glock Malfunction Caught on Body Cam

Glock Malfunction Caught on Body Cam

https://youtu.be/5yAoCWPsBJs

Overall it looks to me like the officer(s) did a good job. The fellow who had the malfunction cleared it effectively. Yes. He could have saved a second or two but, considering it was unexpected (and under stress) I think it went well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://youtu.be/5yAoCWPsBJs

Overall it looks to me like the officer(s) did a good job. The fellow who had the malfunction cleared it effectively. Yes. He could have saved a second or two but, considering it was unexpected (and under stress) I think it went well.

Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show that gunfights will hardly ever go smoothly and expectedly. And yes, Glocks and all other firearms can and will malfunction. Some more frequently than others. Gotta practice that tap, rack, assess.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show that gunfights will hardly ever go smoothly and expectedly. And yes, Glocks and all other firearms can and will malfunction. Some more frequently than others. Gotta practice that tap, rack, assess.
    I suppose "muscle memory" comes into play here but I don't know how these officers are taught.

If they are taught to rack it a couple times for a failure to extract then it looks like the officer stayed true to his training. If he's only taught to let the slide close and rack it once he may have defaulted to his clearing procedure for disassembling and cleaning.

In either case it worked well enough. Could he have been vulnerable for a couple seconds? Yep. But did he keep trying to work the trigger and/or stand there flat footed and scratch his head or raise his non firing hand? Nope.

Site Supporter
    I'm not a fan of Correia's preferred method of clearing a type 3, which is to strip the mag, reinsert the mag, rack the slide. In the video he says that once the mag is stripped anything that was causing a problem has fallen out. That's not true if it's a failure to extract and the case is still in the chamber. Using that method is counting on one extra attempt to fix the problem and if it doesn't all you're doing is setting the malfunction up all over again. It's a little quicker if it works, disastrous if it doesn't.

I get that taking the mag in and out and then racking the slide is a quick way to go. But I think the key is doing something--anything--other than standing flat footed with a confused look.

I haven't looked at the time stamp on the video from the time the gun can be seen out of battery to the time the officer has it back in operating condition but it isn't very long. I think probably the longest point in there is the time it takes him to recognize it as opposed to the time it takes to clear it.

1911 guys are probably faster with this stuff as a group....[emoji16]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I get that taking the mag in and out and then racking the slide is a quick way to go. But I think the key is doing something--anything--other than standing flat footed with a confused look.

Agree completely.

I think the way the officer cleared it is a better way than what Correia is referring to, even if it is a bit slower.

The total of what these three officers do in this video strikes me as a solid regimen for staying in shape as a pistol shooter:
    • Safe draw at reasonable speed
    • Assess threat
    • Seek cover/concealment
    • Engage still and moving targets from roughly 7-15m
    • Shoot on the move
    • Slide-lock reload
    • Clear malfunction

We might differ over the techniques used and/or push ourselves to higher standards, but this is a well-rounded workout.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 06-08-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List