Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried shooting with open eyes...

Cool Tried shooting with open eyes...

Today after few targets, I tried shooting with both eyes open.
    It's kinda tricky to get the targets in focus with just the right eye when both are open.
    Sometime the target vanishes when left eye takes over.

Shots are mix of 4/5 shot groups and some with pause in between each shot.

Right eye only:

Right eye only:

Both eyes open: mostly shot groups as soon as I could re-focus.

Both eyes open:

Site Supporter
    When getting the hang of shooting both eyes open I found a magnified optic to be helpful in developing my ability to focus.

A trainer who I trust with my life recommends putting clear tape on the shooting lens over your non dominant eye. A smear of vaseline also works well.

pat

Nice work! When I started I actually shot a lot at 3 yds trying to get the holes touching, just focusing on the front sight and accepting that the rear sight and target are blurry, and just trying to focus on fundamentals. Then push out yard by yard. Mostly it just takes time, and dry fire should help your eyes get used to it faster. Just don’t cheat your grip in dry fire.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

A trainer who I trust with my life recommends putting clear tape on the shooting lens over your non dominant eye. A smear of vaseline also works well.

pat
    This ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Today after few targets, I tried shooting with both eyes open.
    It's kinda tricky to get the targets in focus with just the right eye when both are open.

Sometime the target vanishes when left eye takes over.
    Which eye is your dominate eye?

It is not the end of the world if you need to momentarily shut your non-shooting eye. A slow blink of the non-shooting eye can be all that is needed for a shooter to acquire the needed sight picture and break the shot. There is no lack of field of vision or situational awareness argument that will hold water.

I find that when my eyes are wide open, they fight for focus. But just the slightest of squints, even just furrowing my brow, allows my dominant eye to take over and get the sight focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
    I find that when my eyes are wide open, they fight for focus. But just the slightest of squints, even just furrowing my brow, allows my dominant eye to take over and get the sight focus.
    Same here. Grew up shooting with one eye closed and had a hard time keeping both open. A tiny squint on the left eye made it easy when I was starting the "new technique." I wonder if I still do that now... I'll try to pay attention tomorrow at the range.

Using a RMR actually really helped my ability to shoot both eyes open with any sighting system. ThT thing is really it’s own shooting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Which eye is your dominate eye?

It is not the end of the world if you need to momentarily shut your non-shooting eye. A slow blink of the non-shooting eye can be all that is needed for a shooter to acquire the needed sight picture and break the shot. There is no lack of field of vision or situational awareness argument that will hold water.
    Right handed and right eye dominant.
    I'll practice shooting with both eyes open little bit along with shooting with dominant eye only each time I visit the range.
    As anything, eyes/brain need time adjusting to new things.

Cool Progress after few months...

Shooting with both eyes open, occasional one eye target confirmation.
    Group of 3 to 5 at a time. All 7 yards.
    Getting used to the shooting but still everywhere, though much smaller circle.

User Tag List