Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

The problem with the incidents Mas brought up was HIM having to explain why in a trial. I would say it is a HUGE advantage to do some study and you being able to intelligently explain and articulate it yourself early to either Law enforcement or with your attorney during a post shooting interview.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If someone is looking to shoot in for a takedown I still think lethal force is justified. Between a hard slam and getting ground and pounded is still lethal, or risks potentially serious bodily harm.
    I've hard people argue that before. Some people die when they are punched or knocked down, so that's lethal force and allows lethal force in self-defense. My prosecutor disagrees. What does your prosecutor think your laws say? That's whose opinion your ultimately going to have to come in on the right side of to avoid criminal charges. I can say with some authority that *here* absent some other forcible felony (like it's part of a robbery attempt, and if he fights for the gun that's a robbery attempt) or disparity of force that you're going to be in questionable territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    While it isn't an automatic, I think I could articulate why lethal force was still on the table, based on my age, physical injuries and training on ground tactics....
    That plays into disparity of force. A hypothetical 100-lb female can shoot a crackhead in situations that I can't. Training only enters the equation if you know there is a disparity. If you have a reasonable belief the other person is better trained than you, that also plays into disparity of force. If Butterbean assaults me I know who he is and that he's not just some fat guy. I know he can knock me out. I cannot just assume that if some random fat ass is swinging on me. I was sued over a death of offender incident and I knew, prior to the altercation, the decedent had a conviction for felony battery on law enforcement. I can prove I knew that by CAD history and because I told a sheriff's deputy before we approached him. It's therefore fair game.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I had to dig around a bit for the below pics. You mentioned the "old school" .357 ...it was a blast monster!
    IIRC this is Remington 125 gr .357. I was shooting my first carry gun, a 686 Smith. I believe the photo was taken in 1987.
    When they started talking about 125gr .357 I just chuckled. One of the standard inventory .357 Magnum rounds we use for product testing at work has been the green/white box Remington 125gr JSP. The good stuff may be flash suppressed but that stuff is definitely not. Out of a snub or ported 3”, the flash is impressive I think I’ve shot 2000 rounds of that stuff to date this year). I can usually see the fireball going downrange a good bit.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Finished up watching the video. Good stuff. I really need to get to a revolver specific class to fill in the gaps of what I don’t know I don’t know.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    The problem with the incidents Mas brought up was HIM having to explain why in a trial. I would say it is a HUGE advantage to do some study and you being able to intelligently explain and articulate it yourself early to either Law enforcement or with your attorney during a post shooting interview.
    This.

I faced a grand jury ready to hang me for shooting a disturbed, physically smaller individual armed with two contact weapons; namely, a small blade, and an SL20 snatched from another officer. (His second blade was nearby, on the ground.) There was no community pressure, as the incident had been largely overlooked by the news media. I was so very glad I had read plenty of Mas’ stuff, as it helped immensely. (I had also attended a presentation by Mas and Ray Chapman, hosted by our patrolman’s union, in the Eighties, but it was the extensive reading, of multiple incidents, that truly informed me.)

By the end of my testimony, in that grand jury room, things were going MUCH more smoothly.

Remember, no attorneys or other advocates/support inside grand jury rooms; one is on one’s own.

Trivia/thread-drift, for those who like documentation/details:

The incident was in 1993. Houston. River Oaks post office parking lot. (I am no hero, this was not a shoot-out, just an incident. Any of us could have done as well. The hard part is the investigation, grand jury, and then whatever follows.)

Let’s remember that I stood on the shoulders of giants during my shooting incident. Instructors, in the Houston PD academy, such as Officers Phil Bankston and Debbie Lokey. Words written by Mas Ayoob, Jim Cirillo, Bill Jordan, and others.

Interestingly, I had been asked, by colleagues, why I had fired only one shot, rather than the usual 2+. Well, I wonder whether my having fired only one shot may have worked in my favor, in the grand jury deliberations. (Only one shot had been necessary; the Federal Hi-Shok (not Hydra-Shok) full-velocity, silver box 125-grain JHC* had done its job.)

One trick, er, tactic: Before I went into the grand jury room, I pulled my body armor from underneath my uniform shirt, and re-tucked the shirt tail to emphasize that I was rail-thin, myself, though much taller than my adversary.

To be clear, these words are not about me, but to establish my credibility when I say that men like DB, BBI, and Mas Ayoob do know what they are talking about.

*Flash-retardant powder. Plenty of sound and fury, but no bright flash. Four-inch GP100. My choice; numerous autos, from 9mm to .45 ACP, were authorized choices.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-13-2019 at 02:37 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    yes, it's a matter of compromise as are most things in life. as not a LEO i'll take fast retrieval, daily carry comfort, and convenience over rare situational scenarios that strictly require re-holstering.
    Sure, but you don't have to holster to get it out of your hand. Just few people think about that rare scenario until they are in it. You could leave your strong side pants pocket empty as an "emergency storage area", for example. As long as you pre-plan and have an option, there's nothing wrong with a collapsing holster for a snub.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure, but you don't have to holster to get it out of your hand. Just few people think about that rare scenario until they are in it. You could leave your strong side pants pocket empty as an "emergency storage area", for example. As long as you pre-plan and have an option, there's nothing wrong with a collapsing holster for a snub.
    yes, of course, we all have the capacity to utilize common sense, the question is can such be done before, during, and after a fight for life. most of us won't know any of that until a darkest hour is upon us. i have no issues with using a soft IWB or pocket snubby holster, no concern over removing a snubby from view post confrontation, and no desire to "re-holster" unless dictated by the situation. high SA and common sense should prevail, along with beneficial proper training/practice. we are all "experiments of one". hopefully, good things will happen to us all. such is the gamble of life - or death.

As usual DB is on point both in this interview and in this thread.

It's a pleasure to have you back Darryl!
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 06-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Finished up watching the video. Good stuff. I really need to get to a revolver specific class to fill in the gaps of what I don’t know I don’t know.
    Greg Ellifritz is teaching a one day snub revolver class in my area in October

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Got through the first 2 hours while I was sitting by the pool today. Good stuff. I’ve been thinking about a J frame sized revolver lately. Got me thinking some more about it. I’d really like to see more about your 642/D&L sighted J frame. Anyone know if there’s a reason Smith hasn’t come out with a 642Pro (a la 640Pro)? I imagine it would sell well.
    This video has me thinking about my old J-frame, too. I've been carrying IWB strong side G19 and spare mag in my weakside pocket for a couple of years since retiring, but had my old pre-36 DAO bobbed Chief rebuilt by a master before putting it away. I even tried to sell it for a few extra retirement-bucks, but fortunately, reconsidered how much it meant to me and withdrew it before I had any takers. The low crime rate in my corner of WV and my general habit of avoiding crowds and bad places make my G19 seem like overkill now that I've spent a couple of years here and know more about the low threat reality of this environment from a personal security risk management perspective. After much thought, I'm seriously considering putting the old school 1949 Chief back into daily carry in the pocket of my nondescript chinos, with a speed strip in the other pocket.

Of course, all that changes if the CW2 folks are right, the world goes to s**t, and theres a breakdown of general civility, but for now it seems like it might be "enough".

Super video! Thank you for posting it. Much to think about.
    Last edited by BruceinWV; 06-13-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia!

User Tag List