Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the IWB i sometimes use is soft suede leather, which offers less bulk than kydex/plastics, and is more conforming, not hard and so easier on the bod. the main concern for me is fast 'n' easy retrieval. returning to the holster ease is secondary. typically less than $15/shipped off the 'bay.

Attachment 38953

Attachment 38952
    I had a bad experience with a similar soft holster with the lack of retention — bent over to pick something up and the gun dropped out. No harm done, but now I prefer something more solid.

YMMV based on body shape, clothing, etc.
    Last edited by peterb; 06-16-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I had a bad experience with a similar soft holster with the lack of retention — bent over to pick something up and the gun dropped out. No harm done, but now I prefer something more solid.

YMMV based on body shape, clothing, etc.
    then you didn't have a well fitting soft holster, and/or the wrong material, and/or it was not properly secured with belt/clothing tension. it should not be easy to reholster such a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Another fan of federal wadcutters in J-frames (and LCR) as well.

I sure some of the members here were on TPI back in it's beginning and will recall Gomez's recommendation for Fuzzy Fletcher (Village Metalworks) and the Safestop plated wadcutters that Fuzzy produced.
    I still have a couple of hundred of those rounds and wish they were still in production. My notes from 2005 indicated those 148 gr plated rounds chronoed at 720 fps and shot to the sights of my S&W 640.

I like the idea of strong side pocket carry that DB mentions in the interview. While the smooth back snubbies definitely draw unimpeded, I need to look into some jeans/pants with a bit wider pocket that my Carharrt carpenter jeans...something more "roomy" like my Wrangler shorts. Any recommendations folks?

fwiw I've found my two A-Holster pocket holsters for my 640 (right hand and left hand) accommodate both my .38 and .22 LCRs. That's a win in my book!
    I'd be interested in knowing more about what pants people use for pocket carry as well, considering I've had one instance of dumping my gun in the car that has caused me to be wary of pocket carry. I'd especially like to know what dress slacks folks are using. Basic Old Navy chinos have pockets that are to shallow...

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing more about what pants people use for pocket carry as well, considering I've had one instance of dumping my gun in the car that has caused me to be wary of pocket carry. I'd especially like to know what dress slacks folks are using. Basic Old Navy chinos have pockets that are to shallow...
    for pocket carry, a specialized holster is a Must, such as a remora, sticky, nemisis, or many others brands/materials/designs.

with my 642 airweight the choice of street and sport clothing for pocket carry is near endless, and with no printing.

Site Supporter
    Outdoor/ work oriented pants often have very deep pockets. I have had good luck with Duluth, Cabelas, carhart, and wrangler/ Riggs brand pants. When I wear dress pants I often switch to an Alessi or Ritchie ankle holster. ankle holsters work great when seated at work or in a car not to mention using the bathroom. If I am wearing shorts with small pockets I will switch to an IWB holster for my snubby. Safariland makes a great one with a j hook.

Ive carried a 640 in the pocket of Carhartt work pants for about 10 years doing carpentry work with no holster. I keep a speedloader to the right or outboard side of the pocket, it seems to help keep the gun from shifting. Theres usually two speed strips in the watch pocket also. The holsters Ive tried raised the gun up in the pocket, I didnt like that so just went back to pocket carry without. Ive had little trouble with the gun shifting much even when working in crawl spaces or ladders, whatever.

I inherited some LL Bean jeans. the pockets arent as deep as the Carhartts, but adequate for the 640. It prints a bit more. Ive since gone to a Colt Agent, its a little longer, but still works in the Bean jeans. The pockets of both Carhartts and the Bean jeans wear holes from the sight and edge of cylinder. When theyve been sewn up several times or I dont feel like sewing, I make a milk jug plastic holster with duct tape to keep the gun from going into the hole and hanging up. It doesnt raise the gun up as much as leather pocket holsters Ive tried, but still does some. Its still workable for me, so far. Been wanting to get the pockets replaced or reinforced with canvas to give better wear and less printability.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    @Malamute - Iron-on patches (denim) work well for pocket reinforcement. I got mine from the sewing section at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Malamute - Iron-on patches (denim) work well for pocket reinforcement. I got mine from the sewing section at Wal-Mart.
    That is a brilliant idea. Just turn the pocket inside out and use an iron.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive carried a 640 in the pocket of Carhartt work pants for about 10 years doing carpentry work with no holster. I keep a speedloader to the right or outboard side of the pocket, it seems to help keep the gun from shifting. Theres usually two speed strips in the watch pocket also. The holsters Ive tried raised the gun up in the pocket, I didnt like that so just went back to pocket carry without. Ive had little trouble with the gun shifting much even when working in crawl spaces or ladders, whatever.

I inherited some LL Bean jeans. the pockets arent as deep as the Carhartts, but adequate for the 640. It prints a bit more. Ive since gone to a Colt Agent, its a little longer, but still works in the Bean jeans. The pockets of both Carhartts and the Bean jeans wear holes from the sight and edge of cylinder. When theyve been sewn up several times or I dont feel like sewing, I make a milk jug plastic holster with duct tape to keep the gun from going into the hole and hanging up. It doesnt raise the gun up as much as leather pocket holsters Ive tried, but still does some. Its still workable for me, so far. Been wanting to get the pockets replaced or reinforced with canvas to give better wear and less printability.
    I'd like to give pocket carry a try with my 638, but don't really feel like investing in a holster to do so. Can you post some pics or a basic "how to" on creating one of these milk jug holsters?

I saw a photo in another thread from (I believe) @GJM with something similar, but I've been unable to find it.

Site Supporter
    I have had these patches irritate by rubbing but never had them on pockets.

About pockets. Once I had a seamstress(Mrs. Willie)enlarge front pockets and replace the pouch area with a double thickness. That worked ok, but when I whined about minor details, she quit the project. My next idea was creating an inside the waist band pocket that would, of course, been integral with the pants. The intended design would have fit a LW Commander. This never happened and is a suggestion to others. Be forewarned. Don't bitch.

User Tag List