Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    Check out Charter Arms®, None of their revolvers have an internal lock.
    https://charterfirearms.com/
    Claude Werner says the 6 shot Police Undercover held up much better than the 5 shot Undercover in the original Charter arms series. He stated that the Undercovers lasted 500-600 rounds before going out of time. I can attest to that as an original Undercover was my first carry gun way back when. I loved that thing but traded it off on a Walther TPH.

Really enjoyed this, thanks DB! I've got a hankering to load up a bunch of .38 and go play with a snub.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    Check out Charter Arms®, None of their revolvers have an internal lock.
    https://charterfirearms.com/
    I think you'll find little love here for Charter Arms, primarily due to a lack of durability.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I watched this on Youtube first. Yesterday I listened to the podcast again whilst mowing the lawn.

Another snubby/wheelgun advantage just now popped into my head after playing show & tell with a co-worker's nice accumulation of 1911's, which I don't think was addressed in the interview.

While DB did state that the ammo was not critical to gun function, it just occurred to me that, during administrative handling, one does not need to concern oneself with bullet setback and/or dead primers from repeatedly re-chambering the same rounds..
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I watched this on Youtube first. Yesterday I listened to the podcast again whilst mowing the lawn.

Another snubby/wheelgun advantage just now popped into my head after playing show & tell with a co-worker's nice accumulation of 1911's, which I don't think was addressed in the interview.

While DB did state that the ammo was not critical to gun function, it just occurred to me that, during administrative handling, one does not need to concern oneself with bullet setback and/or dead primers from repeatedly re-chambering the same rounds..
    Yup. Before I knew better, I carried the same 10 rounds of Gold Dots for about ... 6-8 years. Five were in the gun, and five in a speed strip. I did practice regularly, so they must have gotten loaded and unloaded dozens of times. When they got too ugly, and the nickel was mostly worn off the cases, I shot them all up. Every round fired normally and made a nice ten shot group.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

It’s also part of when Chuck Haggard and I talk about revolvers being more reliable in actual shooting incidents. Duty Ammo that is loaded and unloaded often can present problems. Then you have the issue of guns getting fired while “floated” in the field where there is not a secure textbook grip and the wrist/wrists not locked and the ammunition cannot fully function the gun and you see a major advantage go to Revolvers for confined space, surprise, and asymmetric/jacked up shooting positions in fights. On a training range....modern service auto all day for reliability. In a unplanned fight that is going wrong, the revolver has some serious advantages in the initial shots and encounter.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I believe it may have been Fitz, himself, in his book, who mentioned another ammo-related advantage of snub revolvers: A bullet loaded in a cartridge with an under-charge of powder, or otherwise defective powder, is more likely to clear the barrel.

Fitz also, IIRC, wrote that when seated inside a motor vehicle, the shooter can traverse with a snub gun, while keeping the barrel pointed forward, without having to raise the barrel over the steering wheel. I do not recall whether Fitz mentioned the extreme-close-quarter physical-contact fighting aspect, about which DB just posted.

I just realized that I have not seen my Fitz book since the frenzied cleaning-up after Hurricane Harvey. Sigh. It may have been among the casualties.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-18-2019 at 04:42 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

On the subject of loading and unloading, I’ve lately come to appreciate the advantage of the revolver as a travel gun. For those of us who aren’t current or former LEOs, a revolver is a lot more convenient to safely load and unload on the side of the road when crossing in and out of states where unlawful carrying isn’t winked at.

The same goes for rental car parking lots and airport bathrooms. In some states it’s legal to load up there, but I don’t know that I want to explain that to a brand new airport authority officer.

Site Supporter
    Another plus for snubbies; I can’t think of any place in the US that has legal concealed carry that a five or six shot snubby isnt legal. This hit home the last time I went on vacation when I realized my Glock 19 magazines might not be legal every where. Funny how gun banners used to scream about banning Saturday night specials. I guess they only meant inexpensive poor quality guns that poor people could could afford

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Another plus for snubbies; I can’t think of any place in the US that has legal concealed carry that a five or six shot snubby isnt legal. This hit home the last time I went on vacation when I realized my Glock 19 magazines might not be legal every where. Funny how gun banners used to scream about banning Saturday night specials. I guess they only meant inexpensive poor quality guns that poor people could could afford
    Exactly why my LCR's have become my travel guns.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List