Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    ...I'll be getting a steel version or 43c to act as a trainer once this is vetted...
    I vote 43c! My wife has a 351c that she loves (me too, fwiw), I've an LCR .22LR & a good friend has a 43c he now carries daily in the warmer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I vote 43c! My wife has a 351c that she loves (me too, fwiw), I've an LCR .22LR & a good friend has a 43c he now carries daily in the warmer months.
    Ive got a 3" lcr .22 but i think it's enough different that i could still benefit from the 43c. The most likely scenario is both, it will be a matter of which is first
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    Halfway through and I’m already ready to dump my 43x and go back to an LCR.
    I already dumped my 43 for an LCR.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I already dumped my 43 for an LCR.
    My 43X will likely turn into an LCRx in 38 after work today. I want a 442 because it’s so much better looking, and cheaper. But my practical side says the LCR can get a real front sight, has functionally better grips (I have a hogue boot grip already), and the trigger is good to go out of the box.

Choosing the X for two reasons. 1) I occasionally have to dispatch a wayward critter. Thumbing it back to SA just makes it easier. 2) My little mom and pop LGS has one in the case.

I successfully pocket carried a 357 LCR for over a year. So the 38 should be that much easier. If the hammer proves to be a problem, I’ll either partially or fully bob it.

Site Supporter
    If anyone is in touch with Smith - tell them to make another run of 432s and the 3 inch 632s. They are the ultimate J frames (just like a magazine cover blurb). My 632 won't go out this weekend as it is carbine and I'll run my Glock 17 as my transition/backup to my AR.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    But my practical side says the LCR can get a real front sight...
    My newly purchased 642 went to my smith (Kent Singletary - www.kscustom.com) yesterday. He is going to mill off the blade and install an XS Standard Dot dovetail front. He showed me one and it is so much more visible than that silly, skinny stainless blade, and it slides out of the pocket like it isn't even there. He's going to clean up the engagement surfaces inside and change the rebound spring. With bigger grips for my chubby palm and arthritic fingers I will have my first ever pocket gun.

Even old, broken dogs can learn a new trick now and then. (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-28-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    My newly purchased 642 went to my smith (Kent Singletary - www.kscustom.com) yesterday. He is going to mill off the blade and install an XS Standard Dot dovetail front. He showed me one and it is so much more visible than that silly, skinny stainless blade, and it slides out of the pocket like it isn't even there. He's going to clean up the engagement surfaces inside and change the rebound spring. With bigger grips for my chubby palm and arthritic fingers I will have my first ever pocket gun.

Even old, broken dogs can learn a new trick now and then. (smile)

Dave
    You should post pics when done - I’m sure it will be great. Me, I’m not inclined to throw that much money or effort at it $25 for a fiber optic sight from Amazon is more my speed...

My first LCR just wore the plain black blade. Once daylight starts to fade, to my poor eyes at least, it might as well not even be there.

I’ve struggled periodically with a 642 but no amount of orange paint and sharpies would make the sights work for me. Plus, the Uncle Mike’s Spegel grips don’t give enough trigger reach.

After trying out a co-worker’s LCR, one followed me home from Cabela’s last weekend. (Marked “factory second” but I see no defects and it was $70 cheaper than the best price I could find.)

I got it to the range today. Unfortunately, I spaced out and only brought 20 rounds of 130 FMJ, so I just checked zero at 5 and 10 yards, then shot the 5-yard stage of the Snubby Super Test twice. With the factory ramp front sight, it shot about an inch left at 5 yards from the bench - but when shooting freestyle on the clock, I was dead on. (I shot an aggregate of 97.) I wonder if Ruger designs in some allowance for trigger jerking - but actually suspect a vision issue.

Mrs. CF: “Is that a real gun? It’s cute! I like it!”

So far so good. 10 min of dryfire, and she’s actually looking forward to a range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm probably the last person who should comment on a thread about snubby revolvers, given I just purchased my first one--for my wife. It's an LCR 9mm with a CT green laser grip. I took it to the range a couple weeks ago. Of the ~40k 9mm rounds I've fired this year, these were the first from a revolver.

Honestly, I hated it. The ergos, the trigger, the sights all seemed inferior to a G43, which has smaller dimensions.

Then, I started to figure out how to shoot it. The trigger is actually quite smooth and crisp. The sights were sufficient for me to consistently hit 10" steel at 30 yards, and I was able to shoot GW Light Pin scores for 2H from AIWB. The green laser is daylight visible at 15+ yds.

I find myself liking this gun a lot more than I expected. I hope my wife will too. If not, I guess I just bought myself a snubby.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I mean, cute is important, right? Anything that gets our "I'm not overly enthusiastic about guns, but I tolerate your obsession" wives to the range is a good thing.

User Tag List