Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Snub interview

Yes, totally agree—except in my wife’s case, she doesn’t want to pick one out. She’s not a gun person at all, but after our 3 cougar close encounter, agreed to try carrying one on our upcoming trip to AK. I think the LCR +laser with very light loads will be a good way to test the waters.

If this doesn’t work for her, I’ll probably sell it. I can’t think when I would actually carry it instead of a G43 or LCP.

(Sorry for the detour from this thread.)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    General comment: ^^^^^ Don't do that. Let your wife/daughter, etc. pick out her own gun. Unless you really want the gun that you/ve picked out and you're hoping that it'll become yours someday. "Oh, honey, I know you didn't like the gun, but we'll lose a lot of money trading it in, so whyn't I just keep it and get you another?"
    Best analogy I've ever read: "You wouldn't just go out and buy a pair of jeans for your wife, would you?"

ETA (humor): "Marge, I got you a bowling ball. It says 'Homer' so you always know who gave it to you."
    Last edited by Guerrero; 06-25-2019 at 01:32 PM.

A lot of the stuff DB said in the interview about the role of a snub in a pocket carry for sweats/lounging or in the gun hand pocket as a backup resonated with me and sounded good. Sub 1 second shots, from a position that doesn't scream gun in hand etc...sounded too good to be true. I snagged a no lock 442 this weekend and painted the front ramp orange.

Within just a few draws from a Desantis Nemesis I got several upper A zone hits sub 1 @ 3 yards. With 148 grain wadcutters it was a dream to shoot. 158 grain fmj a bit less but workable. I even went 5/5 on 1/4 scale steel @ 25 in 10 from the pocket. Not bad for a gun in the intended role. I haven't messed with a snub since I was new to guns and it was a poor version. Today was a pleasant surprise and I'm excited to get this thing vetted and use it as a bug on occasion, as well as it's intended role as a lounge/yard work gun.

I'll be getting a steel version or 43c to act as a trainer once this is vetted. I'm digging it so far. I ran my f250 drill, which is gun agnostic as it is only 5 rounds per string with no reloads. It is 5 @ 5,10,15,20,25 on a b8 with a 1 second per yard par. I use it for several things - two being comparison between guns and tracking poa/poi over those distances. I was happy with what I got out to 20. I put a couple off the b8 @ 25 but that's probably my unfamiliarity. It did seem to shoot higher the further away I got but based on one run I'm not making any assumptions. I'll get pics up in a minute with an edit from my phone.

That being said I think I'm going to dig this snub life.

Name:  20190625_130507.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  29.8 KB
    5 yards

Name:  20190625_130759.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  29.4 KB
    10 yards

Name:  20190625_131110.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  30.3 KB
    15 yards

Name:  20190625_131404.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  34.0 KB
    20 yards

Name:  20190625_131818.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  32.3 KB
    25 yards

Name:  20190625_132538.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  21.0 KB
    Five 1 shot draws from the pocket @3 yards
    1. 1.11
    2. 1.05
    3. .98
    4. 1.01
    5. 1.08

The next two were sub 1 and posted in the pic/vid thread.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 06-25-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Awesome. Sounds like a conversation I had earlier today.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Awesome. Sounds like a conversation I had earlier today.
    Indeed it was good talking to you buddy
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'd like to give pocket carry a try with my 638, but don't really feel like investing in a holster to do so. Can you post some pics or a basic "how to" on creating one of these milk jug holsters?

I saw a photo in another thread from (I believe) @GJM with something similar, but I've been unable to find it.
    I happened to run into GJM's pic again HERE. He credits @SteveB for making it.

And so we have visual reference in this thread...
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.54.50 PM.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  55.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I happened to run into GJM's pic again HERE. He credits @SteveB for making it.

And so we have visual reference in this thread...
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.54.50 PM.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  55.8 KB
    Obviously has worked for you without issue, but that trigger exposure would make me uncomfortable.

Site Supporter
    Because of this thread, I did some impulse bidding on Gunbroker, and just wound up with this today:

It’s a Model 37 and came exactly as shown in the picture, with the T-grip and bobbed hammer. Somewhat to my surprise, it only cost me $250 ($200 winning bid, $30 shipping, and $20 transfer fee). I was actually worried something was wrong with it, because it was so inexpensive, but I’ve put 100 rounds through it so far, and it seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Because of this thread, I did some impulse bidding on Gunbroker, and just wound up with this today:

It’s a Model 37 and came exactly as shown in the picture, with the T-grip and bobbed hammer. Somewhat to my surprise, it only cost me $250 ($200 winning bid, $30 shipping, and $20 transfer fee). I was actually worried something was wrong with it, because it was so inexpensive, but I’ve put 100 rounds through it so far, and it seems to work fine.

That's a great find...congrats!

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post

Nice, that's a slick piece and a good price! Threads like this usually cost me money as well but I finally figured out I need a jframe at all times awhile back.

User Tag List