Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    [It took me a while to find this thread again--sorry for the double posting in the LCR thread.]

This thread was what made me consider carrying a snubby for defensive purposes. It's definitely taken me a while to warm to the idea of a 5 shot revolver as a viable choice, but I'm on board now. The ability to deploy the gun quickly in a less-than ideal situation is a big advantage. In the post below, I explore drawing the gun from AIWB strong hand only, grabbing through the shirt, and firing from the thumb-pectoral index toward the opponents pelvis.
    Are you pulling the trigger through the shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Are you pulling the trigger through the shirt?
    Yes. That works surprisingly well.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Yes. That works surprisingly well.
    Interesting, I'll give that a try.

Hammertime
    [It took me a while to find this thread again--sorry for the double posting in the LCR thread.]

This thread was what made me consider carrying a snubby for defensive purposes. It's definitely taken me a while to warm to the idea of a 5 shot revolver as a viable choice, but I'm on board now. The ability to deploy the gun quickly in a less-than ideal situation is a big advantage. In the post below, I explore drawing the gun from AIWB strong hand only, grabbing through the shirt, and firing from the thumb-pectoral index toward the opponents pelvis.
    That is a really interesting experiment, and certainly not a situation I ever even thought about.

Do you think the advantages of being able to deploy and fire the gun while holding a shirt make it a preferred choice for AIWB over a more traditional semi auto?

I have been messing with snubs in the role of pocket carry the past few weeks. Specifically the 43C in 22LR. I love the weight, the shape, the speed of deployment, the quality feel of the gun, reliability and the heavy trigger in this role. Ultimately, while it fits some pockets, it does not fit them all. After going back and forth between it, an LCP and the G42 in pocket, the LCP wins as the all day every day gun #1 choice. I am about to retire the G42 and 43C from the "hot" quick access to "cold" reserve big safe. I honestly wish it wasn't so because the LCP isn't exactly what I consider a quality piece of work, but in this role it is king.

If I am going to put a gun on a belt, I see no reason to use anything smaller or less capable than a G43.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That is a really interesting experiment, and certainly not a situation I ever even thought about.

Do you think the advantages of being able to deploy and fire the gun while holding a shirt make it a preferred choice for AIWB over a more traditional semi auto?

Perhaps not preferred, but it opens the option of being able to shoot when the non-shooting hand isnt available to pull the shirt back and the shooting hand may not be able to for whatever reason. A good tool in the box so to speak.

Sort of like how we used to practice grabbing a right hand holstered revolver at 3:00 in the left hand from across the body, getting the grip upside down and pulling the trigger with the little finger. It works quite well when one has the idea down.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Being sketched by a close contact and able to have your hand on the butt through the shirt to keep the gun on the down low could some in handy. I'll have to try this dry then live with the next cover shirt I retire.

Good questions. Here are the answers for me:

I would choose my P-07 carried AIWB over a snubby carried in any way, in almost every situation I can imagine. The exceptions are scenarios that can be best solved by having a hand on a revolver in a pocket (or under a shirt). But capacity, ergonomics, accuracy, speed, and most importantly familiarity are all vastly in favor of a P-07 or G19 for me.

Interestingly, I don't like pocket carry. I do it, but rarely. In the pants I wear, AIWB is much more accessible than a pocket--especially when seated or in a ground fighting situation. I find pocket carry uncomfortable, and less concealable.

Comparing the LCR to a G43 is more interesting because the capacity is similar. I shoot the 43 better than the LCR, but the advantages of the revolver make me think the scales are tipped toward the LCR for me.

Looking forward to other opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

I have been messing with snubs in the role of pocket carry the past few weeks. Specifically the 43C in 22LR. I love the weight, the shape, the speed of deployment, the quality feel of the gun, reliability and the heavy trigger in this role. Ultimately, while it fits some pockets, it does not fit them all. After going back and forth between it, an LCP and the G42 in pocket, the LCP wins as the all day every day gun #1 choice. I am about to retire the G42 and 43C from the "hot" quick access to "cold" reserve big safe. I honestly wish it wasn't so because the LCP isn't exactly what I consider a quality piece of work, but in this role it is king.

If I am going to put a gun on a belt, I see no reason to use anything smaller or less capable than a G43.

Yes, this was the reason I explored this. In the dojo, I've had my ass kicked while trying to clear my garment enough times that I know it's risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Perhaps not preferred, but it opens the option of being able to shoot when the non-shooting hand isnt available to pull the shirt back and the shooting hand may not be able to for whatever reason. A good tool in the box so to speak.

Sort of like how we used to practice grabbing a right hand holstered revolver at 3:00 in the left hand from across the body, getting the grip upside down and pulling the trigger with the little finger. It works quite well when one has the idea down.

Hammertime

Yes, this was the reason I explored this. In the dojo, I've had my ass kicked while trying to clear my garment enough times that I know it's risky.

I don't think either of those scenarios has ever crossed my mind, but I am certain they happen in a FUT. This is why pressure testing things against a resisting opponent is important. It will certainly show you what works or doesn't. Would be interested in any input from @SouthNarc and what he has seen with weapons access in his classes.

Glad Im not the only one

User Tag List