Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I shoot revolvers better, deliberately and shoot semi-autos better, fast. It's been this way for all of my 50+ years of hand gun shooting.

Dave
    35 years of this for me too. I do fine with semis, but wheelguns are where I do my best accuracy work.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    35 years of this for me too. I do fine with semis, but wheelguns are where I do my best accuracy work.
    I guess I fall into that pattern as well. My highest marksmanship scores were always achieved with 2" or 2.5" revolvers. I always thought it was somewhat odd. With pistols, my highest scores were with a Colt Gov't Model, Series 70 (when it wasn't being finicky).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sample size of one, but here's an interesting observation I made today. I was at the range with a friend. He's an older gentleman, a Vietnam vet, and has very little experience with handguns. I was working with him on his stance, grip, getting comfortable shooting, and on just getting good A-zone at 7 yds. He shot his buddy's Glock 19.4 first, and then my wife's LCR 9mm with a bantam grip. Yes, I am aware that these aren't a great choice for a beginning shooter, but that was out of my control.

After a few good hits with the Glock, he began to anticipate recoil. It was pretty bad. I tried a bunch of tricks that I won't go into here, but he was struggling and getting frustrated.

He wanted to switch to the LCR, and I thought this would be even worse--especially given that the bantam grip was tiny in his big hands. To my surprise, he began drilling A's and hitting 10" steel about 4/5 times a cylinder. No anticipation.

So, it appears that there is something about the revolver that does not trigger anticipation, while the Glock does. At least with this one guy.

Anyone observe a similar pattern?
    My DA only slow fire groups are alway better than SA or SF groups. My mechanics break down if I try to shoot faster with a DA gun though. But I've never put much work into shooting a DA only gun fast either. Maybe I should.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Just finished listening to the whole program about an hour ago.
    Worth every minute spent.
    My usual off duty IWB carried standard Glock 9s and .40s have been causing hip pain for the last few weeks.
    I qualified with and am now carrying my 3” M64 NY-1 loaded with +P 158 grain LHP Remington rounds.
    No more hip pain carried IWB and will do its job if I do mine.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-17-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    My usual off duty IWB carried standard Glock 9s and .40s have been causing hip pain for the last few weeks.
    I qualified with and am now carrying my 3” M64 NY-1 loaded with +P 158 grain LHP Remington rounds.
    Is the reveolver not about the same weight?

Why no more hip pain? Carrying in a different location? Different shape rubbing differently? (aggravating injury)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Why no more hip pain? Carrying in a different location? Different shape rubbing differently? (aggravating injury)
    Different shape, I believe.
    The muzzle end of the slide presses into an area which now hurts. Glock slide is square and thick. Revolver barrel is round and not as thick and doesn’t seem to aggravate the issue.
    I use a proper belt so cinching it too tight is not a factor.
    I had a bulged disc at L4/L5 and a bout of sciatica in the winter of ‘16 that kept me out of work for six weeks. Freaked everyone out when I came to the end of term re-swearing in using a cane.
    Only off duty gun I could tolerate was an Airweight five shooter with one speed strip.
    My compact Glocks would sometimes, after I went back to full duty, would press on the hip right on the end of the muzzle and cause discomfort.
    A G17/22 did not do this until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a trade in G22 G4 to replace my old agency marked Gen 3 one I gave my daughter earlier this year.
    Cleaned all the excess lube and gunk out of it, shot it, and carried it IWB in the usual place for a day or so.
    Right hip and middle of lower back got pretty sore so went back to just airweight in pocket for a few days, then tried the M64 in the same place. No reoccurrence yet.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-18-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is the reveolver not about the same weight?
    It may weigh a little more loaded than my Glocks loaded. It is the shape more than the weight, I believe.

Site Supporter
    Different shape, I believe.
    The muzzle end of the slide presses into an area which now hurts. Glock slide is square and thick. Revolver barrel is round and not as thick and doesn’t seem to aggravate the issue.
    I use a proper belt so cinching it too tight is not a factor.
    I had a bulged disc at L4/L5 and a bout of sciatica in the winter of ‘16 that kept me out of work for six weeks. Freaked everyone out when I came to the end of term re-swearing in using a cane.
    Only off duty gun I could tolerate was an Airweight five shooter with one speed strip.
    My compact Glocks would sometimes, after I went back to full duty, would press on the hip right on the end of the muzzle and cause discomfort.
    A G17/22 did not do this until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a trade in G22 G4 to replace my old agency marked Gen 3 one I gave my daughter earlier this year.
    Cleaned all the excess lube and gunk out of it, shot it, and carried it IWB in the usual place for a day or so.
    Right hip and middle of lower back got pretty sore so went back to just airweight in pocket for a few days, then tried the M64 in the same place. No reoccurrence yet.
    The above is why I went to Appendix Carry, as I was having the same issue with IWB with my Glocks or 1911. Using Sparks VM2 or SS2 with either gun caused the same issues. Switched to Appendix Carry and the problem went away. Of course now I have about $600 worth of really nice leather holsters I'm not using....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    After a few good hits with the Glock, he began to anticipate recoil. It was pretty bad. I tried a bunch of tricks that I won't go into here, but he was struggling and getting frustrated.

He wanted to switch to the LCR, and I thought this would be even worse--especially given that the bantam grip was tiny in his big hands. To my surprise, he began drilling A's and hitting 10" steel about 4/5 times a cylinder. No anticipation.

So, it appears that there is something about the revolver that does not trigger anticipation, while the Glock does. At least with this one guy.

Anyone observe a similar pattern?
    I’m late to the party on this.

I think for some people the “wall” on a glock trigger can send the brain a message that recoil is about to happen. On a good smooth da trigger there isn’t as defined of a physical stimulus to cause us to react to recoil before it occurs.

User Tag List