Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Not just spin either. They have to spin against the friction of the holster they’re being inserted in to.
    Sure. I don't know that "the masses" are using pocket holsters or holsters that generate much friction, though. I know Denny Reichard was a big proponent of holsters that were boned to match the cylinder's flutes as a safety measure.

Just having a pocket holster would have prevented most of the pocket discharges period, or even simply not carrying something else in the pocket. I'd never consider carrying my keys in the same pocket as a gun but apparently some folks really believe in the power of the thumb safety.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Halfway through and I’m already ready to dump my 43x and go back to an LCR.

Listened yesterday. Great information. Thanks for taking the time.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    getting the gun out and ready to fire or firing, or firing from within a pocket, is a greater concern for why i carry a snubby in the first place than to be concerned about holstering after a situation. internal hammers are just safer and more efficient than external hammers for a snubby's designed function. i was totally in the external hammer camp until i really studied the "why" of a snubnose, and how it fits into my defensive requirements. recommended reading is "the snubby revolver" by ed lovette.
    I'm not really arguing. Just stating they do serve a purpose. You may not appreciate that purpose but it's there. Just like a hammer will allow you to check the gun before you holster it for high primers etc by cocking it a tiny bit and rotating the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm not really arguing. Just stating they do serve a purpose. You may not appreciate that purpose but it's there. Just like a hammer will allow you to check the gun before you holster it for high primers etc by cocking it a tiny bit and rotating the cylinder.
    yes, i understand that to some folks there is a valid purpose for an external hammer. my position is that it (the external hammer) is far more a detriment for a snubnose used for CCW.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    Halfway through and I’m already ready to dump my 43x and go back to an LCR.
    I've been waffling on getting a 48 or 43 to replace my airweight snub for *reasons*. I keep talking myself out of it for some of the reasons outlined in the interview. So, suitably validated, I no longer feel the need to "upgrade".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I've been waffling on getting a 48 or 43 to replace my airweight snub for *reasons*. I keep talking myself out of it for some of the reasons outlined in the interview. So, suitably validated, I no longer feel the need to "upgrade".

Chris
    The 43X is awesome. Most recently I went LCR->42->43X. But I am the dude that DB describes in the video. I lead a low-speed life. I avoid trouble. Nobody is interested in me. My purpose for a gun is to extricate my family from trouble if need be and that’s the end of it. I value a balance of concealment and accessibility. I also even kind of enjoy shooting snubbies - in .38 at least. I can also shoot them much better one-handed at reasonable distances than I can most semis. It all adds up. Another expensive lesson learned I guess...sigh...

i highly recommend - S&W 642 centennial, no internal lock, $340, free shipping - https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...2.cfm/ID/64138
    Last edited by rfd; 06-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.

snubbies are not rocket science. a loaded, internal hammer snubby is ready to go. it's always on "safe" and yet always primed to rock. conceal it anywhere you like or need to stick it. there are prime concealment locations and lesser locations. if pocket carry, a pocket holster keeps it ready-to-retrieve situated, unlike with no pocket holster. i can carry pocket, IWB, ankle, shoulder, belt, just about anywhere. high degree of concealment with all manner of street or sports clothing. always safe and always ready to go bang, fast, whether feet away or on contact. or even fired in pocket. i load 158gn SWCs or wadcutters under varying amounts of w231 which can run from easy-peasy to serious +P. it's all about common sense for the needs at hand. plain and simple, it's a heavy conceal defensive handgun. an airweight snubby is a "have gun, will travel" all the time, every day. i actually enjoy shooting mine, and do so at least 3 times a month with 50-100 rounds each. great gun, great training and practice. you might be surprised how well you can bond with a snubby two handed as well as single support hand. snubbies simply rule for basic citizen 24x7 defense. the 642c sale listed i listed above is another no-brainer for a perfect top shelf CCW defensive partner. just do it, then thank yerself later.

some other random snubby thoughts ...

get a grip. good grips are not optional, they're mandatory for a snubby and can make or break yer bonding with the gun. with my 642c, the stock 'uncle mike' split grips don't cover the back strap. no problem with mild loads, but stiffer loads gave me some hand grief, and +P loads flat out Hurt. i spent time and money testing out alternative grips and finally settled on hogue mono #60020, which is a 3 finger grip. you do NOT want a 3 finger grip on a snubby - that lessens its concealing abilities. i modded the hogue by cutting off the bottom and made it flush with the frame's end. the beauty of the mono is excellent back strap cushioning. ah, mo' betta!

get sprung. some folks don't mind a 12# trigger. others hate D/A revolvers because of the heavy pulls. a gunsmith can fix that pronto and make any snubby a joy to shoot with a good action job. i did a wilson combat spring change and while i had it all apart i stoned (polished only!) bearing surfaces. trigger return and hammer springs were exchanged. trigger pull is now under 10# and super smooth, yet i can still feel that "stage" for a faux S/A setting. there is talk and concern over primer strike failures when lighter springs are used but i can say that in my case the wilson springs never gave me CCI primer failures and i have well over 500 rounds through my snubby (all my own handloads, of course).

see it. i paint the front sight tip bright white (or neon orange) and black out the rear notch of the 642c.

feed it. i handload exclusively for all my guns. however, there's plenty of good commercial ammo for the .38spl out there, don't use junk. when in doubt, see chris @ luckygunner.

shoot it. i may get dissed for this, but IMHO snubbies Require routine practice. they demand it. failure to get out at least once and month a run a box of ammo through it is not a good thing, IMHO. i do drills at varying distances, even out to a humbling 25 yards, but mostly 5 to 10 yards. i strive for speed and accuracy. back at the ranch, i also do dry fire routines with snap caps.

if yer a LEO or anyone who's job may require entering a fire fight, a snubby is a BU gun at best. for the rest of us citizens, i do believe it's our best choice for an uber safe, defensive, deep conceal, EDC handgun.

love yer snub!

modded hogue 60020 ...

Last edited by rfd; 06-09-2019 at 07:29 PM.

User Tag List