Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Greg Ellifritz is teaching a one day snub revolver class in my area in October

Thanks. I’ll check that out. You gonna be there?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Thanks. I’ll check that out. You gonna be there?
    I hope so, assuming I can get the day off

PM me if you change your mind on retirement bucks for that 1949 Chief. Or...could swap you a lightweight J.....just saying.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

What I dont get: S&W produces the 327PC, but not with a 2.5“ barrel, but a 2“, which is pushing .38 JHPs too slow. Why, oh, why?

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    What I dont get: S&W produces the 327PC, but not with a 2.5“ barrel, but a 2“, which is pushing .38 JHPs too slow. Why, oh, why?
    I run mine with .38 Short barrel Gold Dot....which should perform the same as it does from my J frames. For what I use it for, it’s fine. My 627 PC gets stouter stuff.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Would you give me a short insight what you are using it for? I guess for a supersized pocket gun, its too wide & heavy?
    Any holsters you recommend?

I listened to the show and will change from a G19, carried AIWB with an empty chamber, to a revolver. Thanks for making up my mind!!

The only thing that is holding me back buying the 327pc is the dismal performance of most .38 loads out of the 2" barrels. Ok, 8x .38 wadcutter is nothing to sneeze at,
    but (from what I have read, the most recent the luckygunner tests) a little longer barrel would help most loads a lot. I'd like to carry Federal HST in it. Come on,
    S&W, give us at least 2.25".
    Last edited by overton; 06-14-2019 at 04:24 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Would you give me a short insight what you are using it for? I guess for a supersized pocket gun, its too wide & heavy?
    Any holsters you recommend?

I listened to the show and will change from a G19, carried AIWB with an empty chamber, to a revolver. Thanks for making up my mind!!

The only thing that is holding me back buying the 327pc is the dismal performance of most .38 loads out of the 2" barrels. Ok, 8x .38 wadcutter is nothing to sneeze at,
    but (from what I have read, the most recent the luckygunner tests) a little longer barrel would help most loads a lot. I'd like to carry Federal HST in it. Come on,
    S&W, give us at least 2.25".
    I’m sure others will touch on the rest of your post but why not look at one of the seven shot revolvers (either S&W or Ruger with select brass) for AIWB? They can generally be found with 2.5 to 3” barrels and will be easier to carry AIWB, the N frame might be too much of a good thing...

Site Supporter
    I’m almost done listening to the podcast. Great job DB! I understand what you are saying about the lasers. I remember our department’s worst shooters wanting lasers. I told them you suck and don’t need a laser. They just refused to put the work in and learn how to shoot. I even offered to coach them any time or get admin to approve them going to a school on their own dime. Paid time at a school, free ammo, free car; they just had to pay tuition. Not one ever took the offer. Two things changed my mind about lasers. I went to a ken hackathorn class and tried his crimson trace laser grip at night; and then my national guard unit issued peq-15 lasers for our M-4s. It amazed me the groups and hits I would get at night using a laser. I think lasers and snubbies are similar in that beginners want them but it takes a level of skill to really run them well. DB- I wish you would post pics of the sights on your snubbies. Your comments about .32s sparked my interest in a low recoiling snub. I recall that my grandfather carried a .32 snub when he was in his 70s. Finally I have a 642 w laser boot grip in my pocket right now

Great podcast thanks DB, cost me $400, almost cost me a lot more!

Site Supporter
    I shoot my 642 okay. I should, after all the years I’ve had it and all the rounds I’ve put through it. It’s easier to shoot a G42 fast and well, and to reload a G42 fast. But.

Earlier this week, I pulled out my 642 and my Aholster backbone, and grabbed my G42 and it’s kydex pocket holster, put on my pants with the belt I was gonna wear that day with my Clinchpick hanging where I’ve been experimenting with putting it, at about 1 o’clock, and tried pulling the pocket guns out fast.

No surprises. The 642 doesn’t get hung up on anything it might bump into on the way out, no matter how bad or good my grip on it is. The G42 may or may not hang up, depending on where it had shifted in the pocket, how I gripped it, and what decided to be in the way.

Small differences, really, but noticeable. The pair of G42s are sticking around - SWMBO shoots them better than any other centerfire pistol we’ve tried, and she considers a .38 jframe a torture device because the trigger pull is painful and so it is the recoil, but at least she can’t hit anything with it. My G42 is super easy to carry IWB under a light shirt, even a shirt that has little drape and may be a bit snug.

For me, though, the 642 still makes a lot of sense as a pocket/gym/Smartcarry gun. I’ve put in a lot of miles and years carrying it, and despite all my efforts to find something that carries a few more rounds and is a bit easier to shoot, nothing I’ve tried actually carries better for the things it excels at.

It’s going in my pocket for our summer road trip. I still want a little .22 ...

User Tag List