Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spokane PD to issue suppressors

Spokane PD to issue suppressors

This is good news.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...to-rifles-citi

Rifles carried by Spokane police on patrol will soon be equipped with suppressors, a move the department says will protect officers and civilians from hearing damage.

“It’s nothing more than like the muffler you put on your car,” said Lt. Rob Boothe, the range master and lead firearms instructor for the department.

Outfitting the department’s 181 service rifles with suppressors will protect the city from the legal costs of worker’s compensation claims filed by officers, as well as from potential lawsuits filed by bystanders whose ears are exposed to firearm blasts. The sound of a fired shot can be louder than the takeoff of jet engines, the department says.

The $115,000 contract raised some eyebrows on the Spokane City Council, who signed off on the purchase last month after they say police satisfied concerns the devices would soften, not silence, a rifle’s report.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Whom ever conceived of this and made this happen, I would love to buy him/her/them a cup of coffee.

Site Supporter
    One afternoon we had our SWAT guys (who have suppressed 11.5” ARs) serve a search warrant on a higher than normal risk but pretty educated fellow’s house. As he was being walked out he was somewhat bewildered and actually questioned the need for suppressors. I told him it was an OSHA thing and not to read anything into it.
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 06-07-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Polite Professional

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    “It’s nothing more than like the muffler you put on your car,” said Lt. Rob Boothe, the range master and lead firearms instructor for the department.

Such a simple statement that makes so much sense
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Authorization is in the works for us, but you'll have to supply your own.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We authorize and facilitate, but we as yet don't supply en masse.

The primary reason I went with 16" rifles instead of 14.7" pinned/welded rifles was to allow the personnel to easily change the muzzle device.

A 16" rifle with a suppressor can get a bit lengthy for entry.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

This has been in the works for a looong time. That article is from 2017. Which reminds me, I need to check in with my buds on the force and see what’s become of this.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

$115,000 is nothing compared to the millions they'll pay out for lifelong hearing damage claims.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    We have $6,000 worth of AAC M-4 2Ks sitting in an office while the brass and....others who have a just enough understanding of liability to be afraid of it argue back and forth about nonsense imagined issues. They have been in that office now for seven months while people piss back and forth on issuing, policy, training, and qualifications. I had to turn mine back in.

I decided to buy my own, rather than wait for the Dept to get off its ass and do something. That $6k might as well have been flushed down the toilet for all the good the cans are doing us. If $6 I doesn't sound like a lot, I was surprised, shocked at the agency price....

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-08-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have seen LEOs in the Atlanta airport with suppressors when there was a higher threat for some reason - I believe they were ATL PD. Slight drift - I am seeing more LEO in Cherokee County with RDS on their service pistols (Glocks and RMRs).

User Tag List