Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PX4 Safety Lever Roll Pin Stuck

PX4 Safety Lever Roll Pin Stuck

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Beretta PX4 storm, and am trying to convert the safety levers to decock only. However, the roll pin that they have in there is so tight that it's broken several punches, and has moved just slightly enough where it's not functioning. I've tried soaking the pin with penetrating oil and heating up the area with a blow dryer, and yet it still doesn't move anymore. I'm at an impasse, and not sure where to proceed from here.

Just to confirm, are you using a 2mm roll pin punch? I've used this one to swap several of these levers. (In comparison, I found the Beretta punches from Brownells to be garbage.) Also, is the slide firmly supported on a solid surface? A padded surface for example will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the punch. Sorry if you've already considered these things...those levers can definitely a pain to align, but I have not experienced a stuck pin. Since you got it moving it sounds like you already have a way to hold the lever at the correct angle, so I'll just add that when it's time for reassembly, a slave pin is helpful (I happened to have a piece of music wire that was the right diameter).

When I first started with my PX4's, I had no metric punches and no luck finding any local or on Amazon. I used a (from memory), 5/64th Roll pin punch (not a regular pin punch).
    One gun I did, I couldn't get the pin back in as it spiralled out like a roll of paper, or widened on the end (like a regular punch tends to do to those pins). In that case, I was frustrated enough, I took it to a local gunsmith (retired machinist), who determined I had barely made a nick in the lever itself (probably when I bent that punch), that left a burr where the pins caught.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    When I first started with my PX4's, I had no metric punches and no luck finding any local or on Amazon. I used a (from memory), 5/64th Roll pin punch (not a regular pin punch).
    One gun I did, I couldn't get the pin back in as it spiralled out like a roll of paper, or widened on the end (like a regular punch tends to do to those pins). In that case, I was frustrated enough, I took it to a local gunsmith (retired machinist), who determined I had barely made a nick in the lever itself (probably when I bent that punch), that left a burr where the pins caught.
    I started to drift the pin from the bottom of the slide, and got it to budge a bit more on the other side. I've also been using imperial sized punches since I couldn't find the true dimensions of the pins anywhere online and it looks like that I've been cratering the pins, causing them to mushroom and bind up the channel. I ordered the punch that @EricM suggested and I'll proceed from there. Thanks much for both of your inputs.

I remember when I replaced my decock levers, that pin was a stone bitch to get out. Much cursing ensued, and I thought I had really boogered up my PX4. I ended up snipping off the end of a finishing nail to make a punch, then carefully tap-tap-tapping the pin out.

Site Supporter
    I ordered the punch that EricM linked to. It arrived yesterday afternoon and last night I converted my gray PX4C from F to G. I'd tried previously using the punches I bought for assembling AR lowers, and I bent one of those. I pushed the pin out and back in from the bottom. It may be my imagination, but the decoking action doesn't feel quite as smooth as it did, and I wonder if I made a little bur somewhere or mushroom out of the pin head. In ancy case, based on dry fire, everything seems to function as expected. Eventually I'll order the PX4 carry levers from Langdon Tactical, and when I do, I think I'll get some extra little role pins too. I'm pleased that I was able to perform the conversion after giving up previously. I'm much happier with two G guns than a G and a F. Thanks, @EricM.

I ended up getting the pin out with a 1.8mm punch and installed a set of carry levers. Lining up the holes on both sides of the carry levers was a challenge, so I lined them up and steadied them by inserting the 2mm roll pin punch in the hole while I duct taped the levers in place. It was easy enough to get a new pin in, but man I had to whack the crap of the thing to get the pin fully seated. I had the same issue as @pangloss where the bottom of the pin started to mushroom a bit and created a tiny burr that was rubbing against the slide. I just backed it out a bit and polished it out as best I could with some fine sandpaper and some steel wool. Works perfectly now. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I remember when I replaced my decock levers, that pin was a stone bitch to get out. Much cursing ensued, and I thought I had really boogered up my PX4. I ended up snipping off the end of a finishing nail to make a punch, then carefully tap-tap-tapping the pin out.
    Well, it looks like I *actually* boogered up my PX4. When I manipulate my left-side decock lever, it's fine. I let a left-hander try my PX4, and my right-side decock lever binds right in the middle of travel; I need to then use the left lever to get it unstuck. Any suggestions?

Maybe @LangdonTactical might have a hint?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Well, it looks like I *actually* boogered up my PX4. When I manipulate my left-side decock lever, it's fine. I let a left-hander try my PX4, and my right-side decock lever binds right in the middle of travel; I need to then use the left lever to get it unstuck. Any suggestions?
    Yeah, I would say it is likely that your roll pin is not quite centered. When you put pressure from the right side it binds up, but when you push from the left side (right handed shooter) it is a nonissue.

You are going to have to look very carefully to check and see which end it is hanging out of. Center it up and the problem will likely go away.

Also check to make sure you did not flatten out the roll pin on one side, giving the pin a little bit of a head on one side. That will stick out and can cause the same issue. Even though it looks like it is flush, it is not and can cause the lever to bind.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

User Tag List