Thread: Week 324: Five-Yard Roundup

Week 324: Five-Yard Roundup

Week 324: Five-Yard Roundup

Results may be posted until July 7th, 2019.

Designed by: Justin Dyal
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Varies, see below
    Rounds Fired: 10

Let's try FAST Challenge Coinholder #05 Justin Dyal's drill!

See original article by Justin Dyal here: https://www.swatmag.com/article/five...86&vsoid=A9486

From the original article (bold added by me):
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Dyal
    Like most of my drills, it is meant to be simple and easy to administer. All the shooter needs are his duty or carry setup, ten rounds, and an NRA B-8 repair center (25-yard bullseye) stapled up five yards away.

There are four strings of fire, each with a time limit of 2.5 seconds. (Remember the three-second statistic? We want to be effective within that time.) Scoring is by the rings on the target for the ten shots, equaling a possible 100 points. Hits off of the ten-inch repair center are counted as misses and minus ten each. Late hits are noted and five points are deducted per late shot. A “scratch eight” in 2.49 seconds is preferable to a “ten” over the limit, which nets only five points.
    String 1: Draw and fire 1 shot freestyle

String 2: From freestyle ready, fire 4 shots freestyle

String 3: From strong hand only ready, fire 3 shots strong hand only

String 4: From support hand only ready, fire 2 shots support hand only

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Number of overtime shots
    Total score out of possible 100
    Anything you noticed

From the original article:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Dyal
    WHAT’S GOOD?

Like most B-8 centered drills, there are levels of achievement. First, all ten hits within time on the ten-inch paper: respectable, useful, and on the right path.

Next, all within the eight-inch “8” ring with most in the black: solid, and demonstrating all the right stuff. This typically works out to a 90 or above score and is about what I’d look for in a SWAT or instructor-level shooter.

Next is all in the black within time. That is usually a 95 or above and is back-slap worthy on any firing line.

Finally, this drill is 100% max-able. The very best can do it regularly, almost on demand, but it requires that everything is done right. Often the last hit with either of the single-hand strings will frustrate that perfect run.
    Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

5" m&p 2.0
    Jmck 2.5 with dsg dark wing and pad
    Under a tshirt

All under par(1.82, 1.86, 2.12, 1.73)

Total score - 84

Name:  20190610_111038.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  15.6 KB

I only see 9 hits and so minus 10. I fired all shots and I'm certain i didn't miss the entire metric target but i can't see a definite double so 84 it is.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Ruger gp100 Wiley clapp
    Bladetech doh

All hits in time(1.60, 2.10, 2.06, 2.19)

Total score - 90

Name:  20190610_120310.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  26.1 KB

I suck at shooting revolvers, with only a few hundred rounds in my life through them. That being said, i enjoy shooting them immensely. I need to get a better iwb setup. I have a jm 2.0 aiwb but i hate it. I need to try either an iwb 3 or regular aiwb with no claw. Also i need to follow @Hizzie advice and try the compact grips. Great time today.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    5" m&p 2.0
    Jmck 2.5 with dsg dark wing and pad
    Under a tshirt

All under par(1.82, 1.86, 2.12, 1.73)

Total score - 84

Name:  20190610_111038.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  15.6 KB

I only see 9 hits and so minus 10. I fired all shots and I'm certain i didn't miss the entire metric target but i can't see a definite double so 84 it is.

I've no doubt there's a double in there. Nice shooting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Equipment used: Beretta PX4 full size, JMCK OWB#2 holster, first two tries no concealment, last three tries open front Dickies work shirt
    Number of overtime shots: 1, string #2 on first try (2.58)
    Total score out of possible 100: First - 91/1x -5 = 86; second, 92/1x; third, 93/2x; fourth, 91/3x; fifth, 94/4x.
    Anything you noticed: 2.5" has become longer, maybe because I've been working at it. Still, I rushed the first shot on the first try and ended up with a 7. I need more work on SHO/WHO. When I finished this I shot 20 rounds SHO and 30 WHO in pairs (first shot DA, second SA), taking my time, and they came out better.

I'm going to try this with my 681, just for grins.

Site Supporter
    Equipment used: S&W M10-8 4", Rusty Sherrick High Rise Double Loop holster, open front Dickies work shirt, R-P 158-grain LSWC-HP

Number of overtime shots: 1 in the third string, wanting to make good hits. Time was 2.63.

Total score out of possible 100: 94/1x - 5 = 89

Anything you noticed: K frames rock. I'm now spoiled by the Ameriglo CAP sights on my PX4s, ended up shooting high with the fixed-sight revolver. I can't explain the 7 at 7 o'clock, probably due to inattentiveness. This was my carry/IDPA gun for about three years.

Name:  IMG_0216.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  28.8 KB

442 from a safailand 25 from the pocket, hand on gun
    0 ot shots
    83 total

Name:  20190628_110327.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  26.5 KB

I noticed that when i run this little gun at speed i tend to shoot high. I think it's the shallow rear notch and me not getting the front ramp down low enough. I painted most of it rather than just the part needed to fit in the notch. Still learning the snub but it's quite fun.

This is my standard cold drill. Shot it twice with a Ruger LCR .38 and Federal 130 FMJ.

No drawing from the holster on this range so I shot from a legit low ready. Gave myself a extra .3 for the turning target system. Still ended up late on the 4th shot of string #2 each time, for an identical 71/100 per run.

Only brought one box of ammo so I shot the Snubby Super Test. I was late with the last shot the 3-yard string, so I reshot it three times. Used up the unfired rounds with very slow, precise WHO work.

Hi guys! I did this exercise yesterday. I used duty holster safariland. Pistol Glock 17, Gen4 Original Sights. Start Position Duty at 5 meters.
    My results are the following:

String 1. 2.43 seconds. (First shot 1.83)
    String 2. 2.42 seconds.
    String 3. 1.80 seconds.
    String 4. 1.57 seconds.

Name:  20190706_131334.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  17.1 KB

Total Points: 97/100

My worst shot has been with the weak hand. It was sad to see that mistake... I will continue training

User Tag List