Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting the .40 High Power

Shooting the .40 High Power

I've long been a High Power aficionado; over the years I've owned 3 of them (including my current one), all in .40. Trivia for the day: While all High Powers are manufactured by Fabrique Nationale (FN), FN rollmarked ones are considered "High Powers," while Browning rollmarked ones are marketed as "Hi-Powers." 'Murrican marketing and all that, I suppose. My current one is one of the FN rollmarked ones, a "MX" coded piece signifying 2003 production, purchased brand new in box in 2007 for a ridiculously low price of $459; prior to that both FN USA and Browning had been concurrently marketing High Powers, and FN eventually decided to divest themselves of their accumulated ones, leaving (at least in North America) High Power marketing solely to Browning. In 2007, this resulted very briefly in numbers of drastically discounted 9mm and .40 FN rollmarked High Powers being available, most (if not all) that I recall being in the base Mk III black epoxy finished variants, including SFS action models.

This was a huge savings for a high quality pistol, as concurrently sold Browning Hi-Powers were selling in the high $800s discounted, around $1,000 list for the same pistol (historically, Browning marketed pistols have been available in a greater variety of finish and model variants; the FN models were presumably marketed primarily to the LEO/military communities, and concentrated on the basic fixed-sight, epoxy finished MK III models).

The ergonomics of the High Power are pretty decent; for an all-steel double-stack semi-auto they're remarkably slim. The .40 models have slightly wider, taller and heavier slides, but ergonomically that's of no consequence. Virtually all post-1993 High Powers have cast frames-a necessity for the .40, and expeditiously carried over as a commonality of manufacturing practice for the 9mm versions. The cast frames and smaller components since 1994 have been more thoroughly heat treated, and the casting process (versus forging) has left edges a bit more softly broken, especially regarding receiver tangs, which is welcome.

Th .40 guns also have an improved magazine in two aspects; first, the tubes are finished in silver-gray nickle-teflon, providing a slick and protective finish, and factory magazines include a special booster (AKA mousetrap) spring at the base, expediting magazine ejection even with the magazine safety in place (which imparts drag on the front magazine face, serving a a sort of an inherent magazine brake). The slick finish also improves the triggerpull if the magazine safety is left in place-many remove them to smooth and lighten the triggerpull action, but I've always left mine in place, and two of my three (including my current one) have had excellent triggerpulls with it regardless. Later-production Hi Powers reportedly have had the magazine safety's pad that impacts on the magazine face changed in composition from steel to polymer; I've heard of zero issues resulting from this material change, but personally prefer the steel piece. An additional later production change was that FN slightly broadened the trigger flange in 2006; I may eventually change out my OEM narrower one for this, as I think it's an improvement, but it's not a compelling need.

Grips on the High Power have always been a bit of an issue for me; I have a medium-size hand, and while on my first Hi Power Standard I'd had Craig Spegel make a beautiful set of Kingwood presentation grips with great fit, color and grain for me, they were just a tad too thin, with my triggerfinger protruding just a bit too far past the trigger. Subsequently for years I used one of Hogue's rubber finger groove models, which ergonomically worked well, but were aesthetically a bit challenged....A year or so ago, I discovered Hogue's "Seconds" (which seem to actually be more discontinued "Firsts" than blemished "Seconds") on their website, and picked up a magnificent set of Olive-Gray G10 grips in their older discontinued pattern (which I frankly preferred anyhow). These are still available the last time I checked, in various styles and finishes for around $45. The nice thing about G10 is that it has a very nice inherently chalky finish, with or without checkering, which very nicely anchors your grip hand(s)-especially desirable in a bare frontstrap model like the High Power or 1911.

The Hogue G10 grips seem to be of adequate thickness for me, as the gun seems to index very nicely with them, as does my firing grip. I prefer to use a small rubber "O" ring with the grip screw to help anchor the grip screw, making it less susceptible to unscrewing under use.

My High Power is equally amenable to both 165 gr and 180 gr .40 cartridges, although I usually gravitate to Sellier & Bellot's 180 gr flat-point ball for practice and matches, and carry Federal 180 gr HST or Remington Golden Saber JHPs for carry. The High Power is one of the most reliable firearms I've encountered, I literally cannot think of any malfunctions encountered with any of mine with any cartridges (I only use factory loadings).

The trigger on my current Mk III is excellent, and has been since out of the box; it's crisp and predictable, albeit with the characteristically long High Power reset-which is the trigger going to the fully forward position. Even with the heavier .40 slide, the muzzle is a bit whippy compared to my HK P30L and VP40 and Glock Gen4 G22 .40s, but certainly not uncontrollably so.

The pivoting trigger has a bit of a learning curve to excel with, but it's eminently do-able with a bit of experience. Similarly, the OEM sights are excellent, with white square paint inserts (my front I kept white, my rears I changed to neon orange-the combination works well for me with this pistol).

For lubrication, I prefer to use Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease for all reciprocating/metal-on-metal components, and Weapon Shield as a general lubricant/anti-corrosive. I've had excellent results with this combination for years of use.

The square and unbeveled receiver magwell makes fast reloading much less natural than on many other pistols. Best results are in bringing the butt up to your visual workspace when speed reloading-I've also added a white index mark on the inside of the left receiver well to aid invisual acquisition and positioning when reloading.

The .40 High Power was discontinued in 1911, and 9mm Hi-Powers en toto discontinued in 2018, although I believe that NIB custom finished examples may still be available from the FN/Browning Custom Shop.

All in all, the High Power (or Hi-Power!) is a superb classic pistol-and one I consider very usable and viable today, albeit with some factoring in for and awareness of needed for some of it's quirks.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Site Supporter
    I took LFI-1 at the Firearms Academy of Seattle back in the mid 90’s with a .40 Hi-Power. The sights were slightly off, Mas shot it during the class and confirmed, and one of my regrets is that he offered to let me shoot the qual with his gun as a result. He was carrying a 1911 (I want to say it was a Mark Morris custom but could be misremembering) but foolish me declined and shot the Browning instead. I passed but still kick myself over that!

By the time I took LFI-2 at FAS, I don't remember if it was later that year or the next, I had switched to a stainless Combat Commander in .45. I do remember that during that class Marty Hayes had recently purchased the first Glock 26 I ever saw.

Anyhow I’ve had I think two Browning 9mm Hi-Powers and one Arcus 9mm Hi-Power clone since but wish I had kept that .40 Browning. If nothing else it is about the perfect answer for a ban state in my mind.
    Last edited by sharps54; 06-07-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Ah, Jon, just when was the .40 HP discontinued?

Anyway, I bought one of those as a used gun at Ben's in Renton, in maybe 2003 or 04. It didn't work because first owner had put on a lightweight extended slide release, which bounced up and down upon recoil and kept locking the slide back. So easy to fix that by putting in the correct factory part.

But I didn't keep it long. The beefed-up slide just ruined the balance and beauty of the gun, in my opinion.

Bart Noir

I’ve seen two of these break, do not remember the actual details.
    #RESIST

Always wanted a hi power capitan with the tangent rear sight. No idea why that version appealed to me but that’s the one I always wanted.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I've long been a High Power aficionado; over the years I've owned 3 of them (including my current one), all in .40. Trivia for the day: While all High Powers are manufactured by Fabrique Nationale (FN), FN rollmarked ones are considered "High Powers," while Browning rollmarked ones are marketed as "Hi-Powers." 'Murrican marketing and all that, I suppose. My current one is one of the FN rollmarked ones, a "MX" coded piece signifying 2003 production, purchased brand new in box in 2007 for a ridiculously low price of $459; prior to that both FN USA and Browning had been concurrently marketing High Powers, and FN eventually decided to divest themselves of their accumulated ones, leaving (at least in North America) High Power marketing solely to Browning. In 2007, this resulted very briefly in numbers of drastically discounted 9mm and .40 FN rollmarked High Powers being available, most (if not all) that I recall being in the base Mk III black epoxy finished variants, including SFS action models.

This was a huge savings for a high quality pistol, as concurrently sold Browning Hi-Powers were selling in the high $800s discounted, around $1,000 list for the same pistol (historically, Browning marketed pistols have been available in a greater variety of finish and model variants; the FN models were presumably marketed primarily to the LEO/military communities, and concentrated on the basic fixed-sight, epoxy finished MK III models).

The ergonomics of the High Power are pretty decent; for an all-steel double-stack semi-auto they're remarkably slim. The .40 models have slightly wider, taller and heavier slides, but ergonomically that's of no consequence. Virtually all post-1993 High Powers have cast frames-a necessity for the .40, and expeditiously carried over as a commonality of manufacturing practice for the 9mm versions. The cast frames and smaller components since 1994 have been more thoroughly heat treated, and the casting process (versus forging) has left edges a bit more softly broken, especially regarding receiver tangs, which is welcome.

Th .40 guns also have an improved magazine in two aspects; first, the tubes are finished in silver-gray nickle-teflon, providing a slick and protective finish, and factory magazines include a special booster (AKA mousetrap) spring at the base, expediting magazine ejection even with the magazine safety in place (which imparts drag on the front magazine face, serving a a sort of an inherent magazine brake). The slick finish also improves the triggerpull if the magazine safety is left in place-many remove them to smooth and lighten the triggerpull action, but I've always left mine in place, and two of my three (including my current one) have had excellent triggerpulls with it regardless. Later-production Hi Powers reportedly have had the magazine safety's pad that impacts on the magazine face changed in composition from steel to polymer; I've heard of zero issues resulting from this material change, but personally prefer the steel piece. An additional later production change was that FN slightly broadened the trigger flange in 2006; I may eventually change out my OEM narrower one for this, as I think it's an improvement, but it's not a compelling need.

Grips on the High Power have always been a bit of an issue for me; I have a medium-size hand, and while on my first Hi Power Standard I'd had Craig Spegel make a beautiful set of Kingwood presentation grips with great fit, color and grain for me, they were just a tad too thin, with my triggerfinger protruding just a bit too far past the trigger. Subsequently for years I used one of Hogue's rubber finger groove models, which ergonomically worked well, but were aesthetically a bit challenged....A year or so ago, I discovered Hogue's "Seconds" (which seem to actually be more discontinued "Firsts" than blemished "Seconds") on their website, and picked up a magnificent set of Olive-Gray G10 grips in their older discontinued pattern (which I frankly preferred anyhow). These are still available the last time I checked, in various styles and finishes for around $45. The nice thing about G10 is that it has a very nice inherently chalky finish, with or without checkering, which very nicely anchors your grip hand(s)-especially desirable in a bare frontstrap model like the High Power or 1911.

The Hogue G10 grips seem to be of adequate thickness for me, as the gun seems to index very nicely with them, as does my firing grip. I prefer to use a small rubber "O" ring with the grip screw to help anchor the grip screw, making it less susceptible to unscrewing under use.

My High Power is equally amenable to both 165 gr and 180 gr .40 cartridges, although I usually gravitate to Sellier & Bellot's 180 gr flat-point ball for practice and matches, and carry Federal 180 gr HST or Remington Golden Saber JHPs for carry. The High Power is one of the most reliable firearms I've encountered, I literally cannot think of any malfunctions encountered with any of mine with any cartridges (I only use factory loadings).

The trigger on my current Mk III is excellent, and has been since out of the box; it's crisp and predictable, albeit with the characteristically long High Power reset-which is the trigger going to the fully forward position. Even with the heavier .40 slide, the muzzle is a bit whippy compared to my HK P30L and VP40 and Glock Gen4 G22 .40s, but certainly not uncontrollably so.

The pivoting trigger has a bit of a learning curve to excel with, but it's eminently do-able with a bit of experience. Similarly, the OEM sights are excellent, with white square paint inserts (my front I kept white, my rears I changed to neon orange-the combination works well for me with this pistol).

For lubrication, I prefer to use Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease for all reciprocating/metal-on-metal components, and Weapon Shield as a general lubricant/anti-corrosive. I've had excellent results with this combination for years of use.

The square and unbeveled receiver magwell makes fast reloading much less natural than on many other pistols. Best results are in bringing the butt up to your visual workspace when speed reloading-I've also added a white index mark on the inside of the left receiver well to aid invisual acquisition and positioning when reloading.

The .40 High Power was discontinued in 1911, and 9mm Hi-Powers en toto discontinued in 2018, although I believe that NIB custom finished examples may still be available from the FN/Browning Custom Shop.

All in all, the High Power (or Hi-Power!) is a superb classic pistol-and one I consider very usable and viable today, albeit with some factoring in for and awareness of needed for some of it's quirks.

Best, Jon
    Dog gone it Jon.. you're killing me~!
    Last edited by Johnny Walker; 06-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Johnny Walker

Spectacular OP. I shot two MkIII 9mms hard in the 90s and they were as reliable as any Glock I've had. Totally sat OEM triggers.

I hate dwelling on the dumb software reason for parting with them. Reset.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’ve seen two of these break, do not remember the actual details.
    My first one, which had an exquisite trigger out of the box (Kurt Wickmann at Novak's stated that he couldn't improve on it when I sent it to them for a make-over, which ended up being pretty much sights and cosmetics only after he felt the trigger) ended up having a failed sear after some 8K rounds; the hammer followed and could not be cocked literally after the last round I fired at a steel plate match competition.

Browning completely repaired it, but the trigger was never as good as it was initially-someone else is now hopefully enjoying it.

My two subsequent ones were/are both totally problem free.

Best, Jon

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Dog gone it Jon.. you're killing me~!
    I do it for you, man!

Best, Jon

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The BHP in one word: Svelt

It’s the Grace Kelly of auto pistols. Smooth lines, classic looks...it just flows.

My first auto pistol purchase was a decision between a Practical and a Beretta 92 when they (the 92’s) first came out. I ended up with the Beretta. That was later sold. A number of years back I corrected my mistake and found a nice used Practical. Along with it, there also sits a decent Mk II I had Novak's do a bit of work on.

There’s certainly more utilitarian, but none as pretty to look at.

Love your .40.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List