Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winchester .350 Legend

They should have called this the .351 Winchester Self Loading.

Oops....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Tokarev;966922]They should have called this the .351 Winchester Self Loading/QUOTE]

It should have and the 351 is nothing to scoff at.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

[QUOTE=John Hearne;966979]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    They should have called this the .351 Winchester Self Loading/QUOTE]

I like all the WSL cartridges. They are an interesting bit of semi-auto rifle history. Obviously the favorite is the 401 but they're all kind of neat.

Some of the old editions of Cartridges of the World poo poo the 351 as not really suited for anything. The same book toutes the 357 Magnum as one of the greats.

True that one's a handgun cartridge and the other isn't.

Anyway maybe we can start a campaign to get Ruger to re-introduce the Deerstalker only this time in 350.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Tokarev;966982]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I like all the WSL cartridges. They are an interesting bit of semi-auto rifle history. Obviously the favorite is the 401 but they're all kind of neat.

Some of the old editions of Cartridges of the World poo poo the 351 as not really suited for anything. The same book toutes the 357 Magnum as one of the greats.

True that one's a handgun cartridge and the other isn't.

Anyway maybe we can start a campaign to get Ruger to re-introduce the Deerstalker only this time in 350.

I just got a .357 Marlin lever action carbine. More interesting to me than building another non-standard AR upper.

They should have called this the .351 Winchester Self Loading.

Oops....

[QUOTE=John Hearne;966979]
    They should have called this the .351 Winchester Self Loading/QUOTE]

The .351 Winchester is only suitable for discerning shootist.

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Several deer hunting videos with the .350 Legend have hit YouTube in the past few days.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Any update on this cartridge? How does it compare to .35 Remington?
    A Marlin 336 in .35 has been my mainstay hunting rifle for years, but with ammo getting increasingly difficult to find,I'm curious about this round as a more modern alternative.

Also theoretically easier to reload means supporting it even if its popularity declines should be a possibility.

On the surface, lower price per round than .35, easy availability of cheap FMJ means can get more time behind the gun without having to use up $2 a round Hornady that is at best seasonal to replace.

Ballistics wise, the numbers dont look bad compared to the 120 year old .35 Remington. But numbers arent everything, and I wonder how it would play out for terminal effect on deer on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Any update on this cartridge?
    It’s become popular here in WV where deer aren’t huge, ranges are usually short and semi-autos are legal.

A recoil adverse friend who hunts in Ohio bought a .350 and reports that it puts venison on the ground quite well.

There was a teenager and his father at the range this morning and he much prefers his light bolt action .350 to a 7mmMag an uncle gifted him.

Locally Walmart and most LGS have plenty of .350 ammo on the shelf.

I’d say it has caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    It’s become popular here in WV where deer aren’t huge, ranges are usually short and semi-autos are legal.

That's pretty much the conditions in my area as well. Looking more appealing the more I look at it. Just comes down to if I want to do it as an AR or get a bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Any update on this cartridge? How does it compare to .35 Remington?
    A Marlin 336 in .35 has been my mainstay hunting rifle for years, but with ammo getting increasingly difficult to find,I'm curious about this round as a more modern alternative.

Also theoretically easier to reload means supporting it even if its popularity declines should be a possibility.

On the surface, lower price per round than .35, easy availability of cheap FMJ means can get more time behind the gun without having to use up $2 a round Hornady that is at best seasonal to replace.

Ballistics wise, the numbers dont look bad compared to the 120 year old .35 Remington. But numbers arent everything, and I wonder how it would play out for terminal effect on deer on the field.
    If you don't reload then .350 Legend will be better for you since it is hotness right now.

If you reload the .35 Remington will trump .350 Legend. It can push same bullet weights as .350L about 250fps faster across the entire spectrum. Also, .35Rem is a proper .358" bullet where as .350L is a .355". This means more limited bullet selection compared to .358" which is a standard rifle bullet size.

User Tag List