Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winchester .350 Legend

Site Supporter
    I have an 18 inch 350 Legend barrel ordered. I have all the other parts to build an upper. Got some ammo ordered also - cheap FMJ to test fire, rough zero, and source of brass. Box of 180 SP for hunt. Extra Leupold VX2 3-9x40 on hand. We will see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Back when deer season was only six days a year in Ohio, .357 Max was the thinking man's pistol caliber. At one time, Hornady made a spire point .357 single shot pistol bullet, and handloaded in a Contender, it beat all others. Mike Bellm has been going on about .357 Max for a long time, and has occasionally gotten manufacturers to do runs of brass.

.350 Legend is a rimless Max, and should work as well as the Max does. However, if you don't need a straight wall cartridge I don't know why you'd use it.
    Starline does enough runs of .357 Maximum brass to keep it more or less constantly in stock. If I was in a straightwall only zone, I would argue that the smart money would be to get a Henry Single Shot re-chambered for .357 Max (or DIY with a rented reamer), and thus take advantage of the plethora of .357 components, and the ability to use .357 Magnum and .38 Special.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Any more information on 350 Legend as a dedicated straight wall state hunting round appreciated.
    The cartridge was introduced in April of this year, so not much info as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have an 18 inch 350 Legend barrel ordered. I have all the other parts to build an upper. Got some ammo ordered also - cheap FMJ to test fire, rough zero, and source of brass. Box of 180 SP for hunt. Extra Leupold VX2 3-9x40 on hand. We will see how it works.
    I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Christmas today - 350 Legend barrel plus a few other parts I need to build the upper arrived. A set of Lee dies arrived - and surprise - they have basic reloading data. Looks like powders that might be used in 300BO or 44 MAG. I have a bunch of 147 HP 9mm projectiles on hand to build practice loads after I shoot the basic Winchester 145 FMJ.

350 Legend makes me think of a stretched 30 Carbine.

Anyone have any updates on their .350 Legend experiences? With my birthday discount at Midway I can get either a .350 or .300BO for stupid cheap and I'm debating which way to jump (or if I even really want to).
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Anyone have any updates on their .350 Legend experiences? With my birthday discount at Midway I can get either a .350 or .300BO for stupid cheap and I'm debating which way to jump (or if I even really want to).
    A co-worker took a pretty good buck with one at around 200 yards. He said it went down right there. A local shop near where I hunt has sold over a half dozen so I'm hoping to hear more results.

I'm probably going to get one before next season, but I live in Ohio where we are limited to straight wall cases. If that is not the case for you, I'd get the 300 BO.

Site Supporter
    I took my 350 Legend upper to Ohio but only saw does so no report yet.

@BobM, I don’t hunt anymore and if I did Texas doesn’t require a straight wall cartridge but as a fan of the .357 Max I’m intrigued by an almost Max in an AR even though I have zero real world use for it. From a logistical standpoint the BO still makes more sense even though I have minimal real world use for it either.

Thanks @ranger, too bad the hunt didn’t work out.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @BobM, I don’t hunt anymore and if I did Texas doesn’t require a straight wall cartridge but as a fan of the .357 Max I’m intrigued by an almost Max in an AR even though I have zero real world use for it. From a logistical standpoint the BO still makes more sense even though I have minimal real world use for it either.

Thanks @ranger, too bad the hunt didn’t work out.
    Upside for 357 max fans is most of the load data would translate very very well. Fair warning, a Max round will chamber but not fire in a Legend chamber. Found that out when a buddy with both was doing load work with his new Legend bolt gun.
    Last edited by jandbj; 12-13-2019 at 12:54 PM.

When this thread popped back up again last night, I searched for hunting videos, and there still are not a lot of them online. Perhaps that is due to the relevant newness of the cartridge, or perhaps it is due the later (and limited) deer seasons in the Midwest; perhaps both.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List