Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester .350 Legend

There is a time, in years past, that I would be all over the latest new caliber. Examples in the past like the .460 G&A, .450 Marlin, and .338-06 in rifles, and .357 Sig in pistols. These days, with the availability of so many great bullets, I think the allure of the special caliber is basically gone. In rifles, all the similar calibers kill game well, assuming a well placed shot and appropriate bullet weight, good bullet construction and appropriate external ballistics. Same thing has happened with service pistols and calibers. New calibers today are mostly great at selling new guns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I handled one of the compact Ranch rifles and liked it. Living in Ohio, I may get one eventually but I've got revolvers, shotguns, and a muzzleloader that are legal deer guns so I'm hesitant to get a rifle I can really only use 9 days a year. I'd also eventually want to suppress it and I don't know what's out there for over 30 caliber.
    Your deer season is only nine days? Ours runs from October to January, and the limit is 12: 10 antlerless and two with antlers.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Your deer season is only nine days? Ours runs from October to January, and the limit is 12: 10 antlerless and two with antlers.
    Is that 12 a day, a week, or a month?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gun season typically runs from the Monday after Thanksgiving through Sunday, then a Saturday and Sunday two weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is that 12 a day, a week, or a month?
    It's for the entire season.

It was only three per season back in the 1980s. That should tell you many we have running around.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    We get to put into a lottery to draw for tags. If you get a tag, you are allowed one deer in that calendar year. If you are not, and do late archery over the counter and get one in January, that is your one deer for that calendar year.

One of the few things that tempts me about moving to another state is more abundant game. This is a desert. We have a wide variety of species, but not very impressive numbers of animals.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This damn forum...

I am planning to get a Ruger Ranch in 300BO and probably still will.
    I had no interest in this 350 thingy until reading this. The way I understand it this would have the same mag capacity as a 223?...
    It supposedly uses AR-style magazines, and the cartridge is based on the .223 case.....so that is my understanding. 10-round Pmags ought to work nicely.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-13-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Live in GA but have a chance to hunt deer in Ohio this year so 350 Legend is suddenly very interesting to me. I have all the parts to build another AR upper except the 350 Legend barrel and dedicated mag.

Anyone have more details on new round? Advantages of 16 vs 18 vs 20 inch barrel for performance? Assume longer is better for velocity but enough to offset “handiness” of 16 inch?

Looking at the ammo for hunting and I am leaning toward one of the 180 grain soft point?

Any more information on 350 Legend as a dedicated straight wall state hunting round appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I handled one of the compact Ranch rifles and liked it. Living in Ohio, I may get one eventually but I've got revolvers, shotguns, and a muzzleloader that are legal deer guns so I'm hesitant to get a rifle I can really only use 9 days a year. I'd also eventually want to suppress it and I don't know what's out there for over 30 caliber.
    Back when deer season was only six days a year in Ohio, .357 Max was the thinking man's pistol caliber. At one time, Hornady made a spire point .357 single shot pistol bullet, and handloaded in a Contender, it beat all others. Mike Bellm has been going on about .357 Max for a long time, and has occasionally gotten manufacturers to do runs of brass.

.350 Legend is a rimless Max, and should work as well as the Max does. However, if you don't need a straight wall cartridge I don't know why you'd use it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Back when deer season was only six days a year in Ohio, .357 Max was the thinking man's pistol caliber. At one time, Hornady made a spire point .357 single shot pistol bullet, and handloaded in a Contender, it beat all others. Mike Bellm has been going on about .357 Max for a long time, and has occasionally gotten manufacturers to do runs of brass.

.350 Legend is a rimless Max, and should work as well as the Max does. However, if you don't need a straight wall cartridge I don't know why you'd use it.
    I am interested in this cartridge, primarily because I'd love to have a rifle that didn't require me to mess around with bottleneck brass for handloading. Also, I have aways been intrigued by the .357 Max and the .35 Remington. All I need is a short ranged woods cartridge.

Lord knows why I also think I "need" a .25-06 someday.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List